Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many hours a week do you work?

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Retired for 9 years. Used to work 50-60 hours per week as a programmer.  We seem to be busier now  than when we were working.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    4 10's, so a 3-day weekend every week, and, luckily because of the type of work I do, I cannot take it "home" - so once I've left the building, I'm on my OWN time!!!!  :D

Though, I must admit, the 36 mile commute I have to make in Bay Area traffic turns into an hour to an hour-and-a-half one way, depending on time-of-day & whether or not there's any accidents.  I-680/880/237 SUCK & if there's ONE lil accident, it EFFS everything up cuz there are no other major highways to get on, and everyone & their kid brother are already on the "back roads." 

I just cannot WAIT to see how much worse it's gonna get once the 49'ers move into Santa Clara 
    [-( >:P X(
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • Seems to be the average here is around 50-60. Interesting. I have a 45-1hr commute each way. I have a mandatory 50 hrs a week on my job (construction site but I am in the office site). Hardly remember what a 40hr week looks like!
  • When I'm travelling:

45-50hrs + 8-10hrs airport shuffle

When at home

60hrs but commute is upstairs with a cup of coffee

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    depending on the week 45/60 but i only travel 10minutes to and from and thats a bad day with traffic 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • 60 to 70 hrs per week. Salaried.
  • Mr. Slate has me working 40 hours.
    Flint, Michigan
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Quarry work is tough. But if i remember correctly, you moved up to running the brontosaurus a while back, right? Gotta be nice to have a seat and bamboo cabin over your head at least
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Realtor and Auctioneer so depends on what I have going on.  Huge auction coming up on Sept 1 so I've had Open House and Farm Inspection the last two Sundays which make for not much of a weekend, but I pretty much schedule to suit myself.
  • usually 40, 50 for the past 2 months...a
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • 2 wonderful weeks of vacation coming up!!! 1 week in St John, USVI starting Sunday (if no hurricane), back for 1 week, then 1 week with girls wine shopping and touring Oregon and in "conference". Gotta fill that wine cellar!!!!! 
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379

Good news, work about 28hrs/week.  Bad news, no retirement in site.

George

George
  • stike said:
    Quarry work is tough. But if i remember correctly, you moved up to running the brontosaurus a while back, right? Gotta be nice to have a seat and bamboo cabin over your head at least
    Yeah, but sliding down it's tail at quitting time can get rough.  It's all in the dismount!
    Flint, Michigan
  • mizeatl
    mizeatl Posts: 13
    I work 20-25 per week as an IT contractor. From home and there for the kids in the afternoon.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2012

I'm salary (no pay/vacation for OT), I work 40 hours a week, NOT A SECOND MORE.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

84 on and 7 days off. This is new and am tryin it. So far, I am gainin weight.  Which is good ,right?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Was workin a 14 on 14 off hitch in the oil patch in eagle ford. Now back in the office. Work a 9-80 schedule now so 40 hrs a wk...if you don't count all the 0:dark-30 phone calls. Oil field never sleeps!
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    I put in 46-52 hours a week. Roughly 5 hours of planning and prepping. 
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    24 on, 48 off.  
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    smasch said:
    24 on, 48 off.  

Now that I like!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Rebellab
    Rebellab Posts: 43
    Mid March to mid June 80+. Mid Sept to mid Oct 70+. All other months 50 to 60 a week.
    LBGE South Dakota
  • 50 to 70 a week but nmy record is 3 105 hr weeks in a row
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Either, many of you suspect your company is checking up on your work habits or you work way too much. On one hand, the American work ethic is epic.  On the other, we might be spending more time working than hunter-gatherers spent hunting and gathering in the late stone age.

I've been working for the same company for 22 years - started 2 years out of college.  I remember working insane hours for the first 10 years.  Spent a lot of that time creating tools so I could be more efficient and lazy.  Well, it worked.  Now I write programs and design systems that make hundreds of people more efficient (happy face!).  And even eliminate jobs (sad face). 

On the up side, I spend more time than ever working in my man-bear-cave for me - making stuff, pursuing way to many hobbies, reading, egging (if that's a word).    But still not sleeping much.  Thanks a lot, Big Green Egg, for adding yet another addictive interest to my growing list (even though cooking is an old one).
  • I'm down to about 45 to 50 now, plus 45 min commute each day. Then I teach, which is probably another 15 to 20. Add in family time, guitar time, exercise, and eggin and there's not much left, which is why my grass is so high right now! ;)
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    One thing that really stands out, besides how many work 50~ hours a week, is the commute. Many of you are spending a huge chunk of your time commuting. I should not complain about my 20 min drive each way anymore
    Boom
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    I work from home and still hate my job (35 hours).. my husband LOVES his job (40-70hrs).  I envy him.  I guess if you love your job then the hours may not matter as much.
  • I work 50-65 hours per week.  The older I get the more I adore and need weekends!
    1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!
  • FxLynch said:

Usually 40 hrs at the hospital Mon-Thurs with 3 day weekends every week, but I'm really looking for a career change.

What ya do at the hospital?

I spend about 50+ hr a week at the hospital.

XLBGE 
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Usually 40 hrs at the hospital Mon-Thurs with 3 day weekends every week, but I'm really looking for a career change.
    What ya do at the hospital? I spend about 50+ hr a week at the hospital.
    Radiologic technologist and PACS coordinator. I'd love to do the PACS Admin job full time for a larger hospital, as it is now I'm doing both jobs at a smaller one.