Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket Failed

otter
otter Posts: 340
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,
Sunday I did Car Wash Mikes Ribs, they turned out great.
I had not done a burn off for a while, so I opened the LBGE and let her go. (bought it last spring)
When I got home from work Mondday I opened it up to clean it out and the top gasket had stuck to the bottom and ripped . About 8" was hanging in the back by the hinge. I called Headquarters and Bruce asked a few questions and is sending me a new high heat gasket, it is self adhesive, new and improved gasket. Super nice guy! I have read here about no gasket, other brands etc... We'll see how this one works. Great company.
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    self adhesive? directly from BGE? waiting to hear if this is actually true!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    xraypat23 said:
    +1. they sent me the non-self adhesive, and I applied with 3m super 77 as instructed. 
    Since then I've had to re-attach in a few places, and used permatex instead. That's been working out for me.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • I called BGE in Canada and they sent me a new Gasket should be here today.  It is suppose to be high heat.  I will report back.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    They actually called you back? Wow. I was only able to reach them via email. 

The new gasket I received is self adhesive as well. 
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    xraypat23 said:

As I've posted in several other threads BGE sent me a self adhesive high heat nomex gasket a few weeks ago when I torched my gasket making pizza. I installed it and so far it has been great. It's holding up very well to quite a few high heat cooks and the adhesive backing was good.
    XL BGE
  • My gasket failed twice after doing a high heat clean up after a season's worth of grease formed in the top of the lid. It seamed that once the egg cooled, all the grease would flow down during the clean and would form an adhesive that would destroy the gasket when I opened it the next time I needed to smoke.

Now I heat the egg up to 600-650 F for a couple of hours, shut it down until all the coals go out, then open the top until it's cooled.

Been safe ever since.

• Yes they actually called me back.  The service has been great.
  • Okay just after posting the door bell rang.  My replacement gasket arrived but it was not self adhesive.   It was however a high heat replacement gasket.  My original is grey and this one is white.  Anyone know how well this will hold up to high heats?
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    My replacement from bge was high heat in gray with adhesive back. So far so good, have not done a pizza yet though.
    Seattle, WA
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    Interestingly enough I was at a recent EggFest and a BGE representative told me that you really do not need a gasket.  I cannot imagine they had nomex gaskets in Japan.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • xraypat23
    it holds up very well as long as the dome's aligned. I did a high heat burn and my egg had a slight overbite, im now missing about a 1/4 of the gasket on the bottom of my egg. The rest of it is fine.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    My 2 month old MBGE blew its gasket, just fell off on one side - interestingly enough it was the side I usually light the lump on. Once replaced, I'll try lighting in different sides and the middle. I was a bit disappointed at the short life of the gasket, this egg has never been over 600F. 

My dealer had a GKHDL, self adhesive backed gasket replacement kit for $4.60. Rather than wait for one from BGE, I figured for <$5 I'd just get on with it. Seems to have installed OK, will try it out tomorrow. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    SkinnyV said:
    My replacement from bge was high heat in gray with adhesive back. So far so good, have not done a pizza yet though.

Same for me.  The gasket looks like the original, but says "high heat" and is self adhesive.  I just have not put it on yet.

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    timekpr1 said:
    Interestingly enough I was at a recent EggFest and a BGE representative told me that you really do not need a gasket.  I cannot imagine they had nomex gaskets in Japan.
    There are quite a few people that run naked. I tried it for about a week while I was waiting for my gasket to arrive and I had real problems keeping temps down - especially when there was a good wind blowing. The mating surfaces between my base and dome kind of suck, though. I had some pretty serious gaps. 
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You really should realign the lid if you're going to go commando to minimize the leakage.
    edited August 2012
    I think Travis runs sans gasket without any issues....I haven't tried it yet. I may if the new nomex I just installed fails.

I did spend a few minutes this morning getting my dome better aligned. A few small washers on one side of the upper band was that was needed.
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    You may not need the gasket for a good seal if everything is aligned, but another possible benefit of the gasket would be to protect the ceramic from chipping and cracking.  A dome that becomes misaligned or accidentally closing the dome on something hard could cause a chip or crack without the gasket.
  • What are the new high heat gaskets that BGE sells or uses as replacements made of.  The one they sent me was white and was not self adhesive and others are grey and self adhesive.
  • I replaced my gasket on my large bge, however now the alignment is off and the gasket "crimps" in the back and the seal isn't good on the sides.  Any tips?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @ Arlington:
    I removed the lid when I changed my gasket, but I would do the following: 
    With the lid shut, loosen the top and bottom bands (remove springs, zip-tie together, or use white plastic pieces that came with it to prevent the bands from popping open, maybe causing injury).
    Realign the top and bottom, 
    Put the bands back on, and tighten. 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    BTW, I'm not big on the dollar bill test. I get a much easier slide below the handle area but have yet to see one bit of smoke leak through the base to lid.
    Seattle, WA
  • xraypat23
    i put the bolts on fairly tight, egg had an underbite, i tightened up the bands when it was hot, no more underbite. I don't know if it was right to do, but it made a huge difference.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Here's a video(not mine) where he shows how to adjust bands for alignment issues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player