Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal Temp for Pork Tenderloin

Slobberdog
Slobberdog Posts: 54
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I usually cook to 180 but think maybe too high?

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    cook to about 140/145 max you can google pork temps 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    edited August 2012
    I usually cook to 180 but think maybe too high?

Your assumption is correct-take it up to no more than 140*F and tent (not tightly wrapped in foil)  for around 10-15 mins then slice-world of difference in the positive sense.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks. Just pulled off at about 155 as soon as I saw the responses.
  • 140 is the way to go for sure! Just cooked pork tenderloin tonight and it sliced like butter.
  • just did one last week and cooked it to 160 and was wonderful. 

LBGE And MINI Egg
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,669
    I pull @ 142 then let it rest for 5-10 minutes under foil

I did one last week to 140* & it was out of this world GOOD.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• After pulling it at 155-160 it was great. I don't think I would want it any more rare but will try it at 145 next time.
  • USDA lowered the minimum temperature of pork to 140 deg with a 3 min rest period last year, down from 160 degrees; lower temp = juicy and no chance at being dry; although my wife likes her steak rare, she doesn't care for pink pork tender, so we've compromised at 150 deg with rest period. Pork tender is still the easiest and one of the best things to cook on the egg.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• When it it just us I pull at about 138-140, tent and let rest for about 5 minutes (temp will climb above 140 while resting).  If cooking for someone that is entrenched in the "cook pork till jerky"  then I pull at 148-150.  
    Modern pork is way too lean to cook to the old temp guidelines.  
    If you must cook to 160 then you might try barding a non-brined loin with salt pork and cooking at a lower temp.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Pork tender is still the easiest and one of the best things to cook on the egg.

Agreed. Easy prep, cooking time less than an hour, great flavor, and perfect as a leftover sliced thin on a slider bun with a slice of onion and Salt Lick Chipoltle BBQ Sauce. One of my (and family's) Egg favorites.
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    It worries me up that people feel the need to cook pork to 160 but will eat commercially ground beef at 130.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    TonyA said:
    It worries me up that people feel the need to cook pork to 160 but will eat commercially ground beef at 130.
    Exactly, pork was once the source of trichinosis larva, which was killed by over cooking. Not much of a threat today. Beef on the other hand, unless you know and trust the source, is a constant threat it seems for e-coli. Ground anything, beef, pork and poultry - all to at least 160F. 
    Pork off at 140, tent for 5 minutes.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

TonyA said:
    Overcooking pork is a carryover from the days before legislation prohibited feeding raw meat to pigs and trichinosis was common in pork.  Since then, trichinosis have been virtually eliminated from commercial pork - most cases now come from game meat and home raised pigs.  Freezing kills some species of trichinosis, but not others.

These are the cooking guidelines for meat that you may suspect has trichinosis.  (note - commercial US pork is safe).  I say cook it to they way you like the taste.

Internal Temperature Internal Temperature Minimum Time
    F) C) (minutes)
    120 49 1260
    122 50.0 570
    124 51.1 270
    126 52.2 120
    128 53.4 60
    130 54.5 30
    132 55.6 15
    134 56.7 6
    136 57.8 3
    138 58.9 2
    140 60.0 1
    142 61.1 1
    144 62.2 Instant

joe@bge Posts: 394
    I used to go up to 165 - 170 on pork tenderloins until I tried pulling at 145 - 150 - by recommendation of fellow forum members.  Way better!    B-)