Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outside egg/going out of town- need opinion

Kristinnn
Kristinnn Posts: 133
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
So i will be going out of town and my egg is in the back yard (fenced) and tons of houses are around which can be good and bad.  Its not possible to put in the garage because of the hill im on and the grass path i would have to drag it on.. (XL Egg)  My question.. if i bring it in the back door to my kitchen to store inside while im gone will it stink up my house?  Im assuming no since it snuffs the fire when you close it up but curious as to what others may think?  Thanks  :)

Comments

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

Are you worried about theft? Vandlism?  I doubt if it would stink up the house, but My wife would smell it when we got home, and she would nt be happy.

Why not just leave it in the back yard? are your neighbors a bunch of crooks? if so. move.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    People have had chimneys and wood stoves in their houses for centuries.  I'd clean it out first so you don't have any meat or fat going rancid.
    If someone wants to take it, do you think moving it inside will help? Maybe you will just come home to a kicked in door and a gone egg. 
    Is there anything you can chain it to outside? I have an armoured cable I use for my bike when on the road, although the bike weighs over 600 pounds, when it is chained to a post in the garage, I feel a little better. 
    Chain and cable run through the dome and lower vent should keep it safe..... or you could just leave it where it is and have insurance, you do have insurance, right? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kristinnn
    No one socializes in my neighborhood and I am a freak about "what ifs".  My husband is the exact opposite and would probably sit it on the front porch and think no one would steal it.  I would rather just remove the shelves and roll it into my house just in case but i dont want to come home to something smelling awful.  I dont care about a little stench. 
  • Kristinnn
    I was using a chain.. i finally stopped.. ha :)  yes i have insurance.. i guess i never thought it would cover personal possessions outside unless specified or separately insured
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Clean it out, bring it in, and leave it open (at least the top and bottom vents).  I stored my egg indoors all sealed up for a couple of weeks and it grew a ton of mold.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    So just leave it out and don't worry about it.
  • Eller
    Eller Posts: 56
    I traveled 1200 miles with a used BGE in the back of my mini van. She stunk a bit in the car. If you are woried about it, put it inside you house. Treat it like a diamond ring. Treasure it. Damn, I'm out of control.
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I leave mine outside all the time whether home or gone. I try not to worry about stuff, I leave that to my wife and she is good at it.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • jleon401
    jleon401 Posts: 33
    If someone wants it bad enough they will do what it takes to get it!
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    how much stuff is getting stolen from your yard, get an outside nature camera with a motion sensor and catch the neighbor steeling your egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Do what you need to do put your mind at ease while you are away.  You don't want to be worrying about it while you are gone.  If rolling it inside makes you feel better, do it. 

You are after peace of mind.
  • If you are really worried you can run a chain in through the daisy and out the bottom vent and padlock it.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Maybe consider moving?

Gerhard
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,664
    my neighbor was worried about the policeman that lived next door and caught him with one of these in his upstairs bedroom stealing a radio.
    :))

http://www.lorextechnology.com/Wireless-security-system-and-home-security-solutions-|-LOREX/home-wireless-outdoor-cameras-with-remote-viewing-via-skype/prod110003.p
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46

I got a cheap "Weber" grill cover that I put over mine.  I see Webers in front yards for days with "free" signs on them, so I'm hoping no one's going to take mine.

Jeff

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    We've got guns up the wazoo lately, and folks worried about zombies and roving hoardes of grill thieves

We should start a paranoia subforum.
    :))

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    If we start a paranoia subforum, I'm worried the gov'ment will come after us.
    X_X
    Wait would that off topic?
    Can i post pics of what i think i see?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • nolaegghead
    ...wait...ok.  I'm protected from conspiracy theory nuts.

XLBGE 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

how long are you going to be gone for? and where do you live? i need another XL.

just kidding of course, I have a XL. that thing is massive, you cant carry it anywhere without taking it apart.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Duganboy said:
    So just leave it out and don't worry about it.

I'm from the same school of thought.

These things are very heavy, and any crook that could possibly move it will have an exceptionally hard time trying to steal it........it would be easier to steal your car instead of your egg.

PS: mine has been sitting out on my back porch for almost ten years now.....and it hasn't moved yet.

JMHO.

• The thief would definitely have a hernia stealing an XL.  I keep mine in the garage locked in the house in it's little standard nest, haven't noticed any smells or any mold either.  I been thinking about moving it through the house to the back covered patio, but I love cooking just outside the garage out front.  My wife tells me I'm half Mexican when I do that.  I'm not but it's a simple pleasure I enjoy.  I draw neighbors every time and get to brag a bit on my egg.  I tell em' how good it is then give em samples when I'm done.  They are all now BGE believers.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Would doing a long 'cleaning burn' help? Turn it white inside again and then bring it in. 
  • What about your air conditioner? Crackheads regularly steal them to sell the copper. Much more market than an egg. Ever hear of a scrap egg yard?
    Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• Kristinnn
    Would doing a long 'cleaning burn' help? Turn it white inside again and then bring it in. 
    a bunch of crazy ppl on this site :)

i will probably do a good clean burn and bring it in because i am paranoid.  I had a skunk sprayed dog in my house a year or so ago that rubbed its ass all over before i could get him and an egg in the house couldnt be any worse than that.  my house stunk for like 2 months.

i doubt anything would happen but i would rather just deter whoever by rolling it in.

Thanks for the 5 helpful comments of 25 lol :)
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

That being said, I write a pretty big check to my insurance agent every year.  I do that so HE will worry about someone stealing my stuff and not me.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    or you could borrow an idea from the other thread and shoot (to kill) anyone who wants your grill. because you worked hard for it!

@-)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    That's just if the walking dead are trying to steal your grill.
    >-)