Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What would you do?

cherokeer
cherokeer Posts: 45
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
If you have a choice would you buy 2 larges or 1 xl?

Comments

• Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    space and $$ not being an issue - if it were me, I'd get 2 larges, and the reason is that I've seen that it would be nice to have 1 Egg for cooking the meat and/or main course, and another for cooking the sides and/or something else which requires a different temperature or a different setup (ie, cook something direct on one while cooking something indirect on another).  

But that's just me, and what *I* would choose... YMMV :)>- 

Personally, I don't think you could go wrong w/ either option (heck, BOTH options have you getting at least one EGG)!!! :D
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Okay-depends on what your ultimate goal is-one-shot lots of cooking area; XL hands down ( and to be fair-you can do segregated cooking on the XLBGE).  Ability to run two different type cooks (direct and indirect at the same time) and share the toys-LBGE.  But's just an opinion and we all know what those are worth :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • maximus1
    maximus1 Posts: 38
    I decided on going with a second Large for the options to go low and slow on one  and direct grilling on the other  for sides, steaks, veggies, etc.  Now I need to build a table similar to Cazzy to accommodate them both.  For the second one I just  watched Craigslist until one popped up at the right price, picked it up today with all the trimmings for 350.00 couldn't pass it up, just my opinion for what it is worth.  
    2 Large BGE, 1 Small.  
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    I have a large and today it got a XL big brother. So I guess that's the way I decided to solve the age old question of what combo is best.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2012

Seeing that I have one XL and am able to do everything I want on it, I'd do just the XL.  :)

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    My Irish grandmother was always on about not having all your Guiness (or was it eggs?) in one basket. Money not being the object, and it seldom is with the "egg lifestyle" 2XLarge makes the most sense. Lots of space and two different cooks at once. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Such problems :| I like the idea of two for varied temps and baking but would just go XL if I were you. We have a large and my husband looked at me the other day and said "we should have gotten the XL"! I shot him a look like I was mad but I am secretly happy he said that because I have hope that a second may be in my future (first need to make the porch bigger)
  • cherokeer said:

If you have a choice would you buy 2 larges or 1 xl?

Easy, two larges. Next question.

XLBGE 
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Yeah LBGE x 2 is what I would want. Sharing accessories is a plus. You can cook two different things at different temps (can't do that on an XL). The best part is having your own backyard eggfest where you and your buddy compete for beer and bragging rights!
  • I love my lg and med combo...so I vote 2 lg, given the 2 choices you are considering. Love being able to have 2 diff cooks going on!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • I want another large also if thr same size they can share toys!
  • 2 Larges without question. More grid space, more flexibility, ability to run complete opposite temps, and they share eggsessories. It's a no brainer
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • gee
    gee Posts: 71
    Two larges
    Who cares I'll post where I want
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited August 2012
    have a large getting my XL in september was debating back and forth and the wife said get the XL for dinner (who am i to argue )during the week since we have 6 in the family it be a bit easier , and you can have two cook zones in the XL so thats a plus as well and doing a 22inch pizza on it for dinner just sounds to cool lol 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I ended up with 3 larges and I love it, I can really do some damage with them. There's a mini somewhere here too :)
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    two larges for sure. Two different temperatures, and all the toys interchange. DO IT  ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Unless you want to smoke a piglet go with 2 large.
  • We've only had our large about 2 months and I already want a second one! I think it would be great to be able to cook at different temps or setups & as others have said sharing "toys" is for sure a bonus (those eggcessories add up in a hurry!). You will be happy with whatever egg you decide on I'm sure!
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Such problems :| I like the idea of two for varied temps and baking but would just go XL if I were you. We have a large and my husband looked at me the other day and said "we should have gotten the XL"! I shot him a look like I was mad but I am secretly happy he said that because I have hope that a second may be in my future (first need to make the porch bigger)

#firstworldproblems
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    In my experience, if 1 is good 2 is better
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    1 large 1 xl
    oops that wasnt the question
    1 xl if i really had to choose
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    I would take two larges, due to the occasional need to be cooking one thing direct and another indirect, at the same time. I have only had one occasion where my large was too small - racks of spare ribs were slightly too long for the diameter of my large. A little creative fiddling was enough to solve it.

But my family is small (usually two adults and one child, with sometimes and added adult "child"). And I don't often entertain guests.

Tim
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I'd also go two large. One XL would be awesome but with two large can do two diff types of cooks. Either way I'm jealous with my single large.
    Boom
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Why limit yourself?  Go with to XLs and you will be happy forever.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI