Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Had a problem with my cook tonight

Options
Eller
Eller Posts: 56
edited August 2012 in Poultry

I lit a fire in my egg with RO  lump and got the temperature to 400 degrees. I let the the temp stabilize for about 30 minutes to burn off any first smoke nastys. Then I put 4 boneless chicken thighs on a closed the lid and cooked for 10 minutes. Turned them over and cooked for another 10 minutes. Sauced them with John Henry's. Carmelized sauce for 2 minutes and removed.

My problem is the last part of the cook the smoke began to smell kind of like soot. The chicken tasted a bit like soot also. Please chime in and give me some advice.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Direct or indirect cook-if direct and not raised grid the chicken fat was buring on the lump, not that it wouldn't anyhow but raised grid gives you more separation.  Indirect-same can happen if no "air gapped" drip pan.  By air gapped I mean to make sure there is a space between the pan and whatever is holding it.  Some use BGE feet, balled up foil, washers, coins-etc you get the idea.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Agree with lou.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    To separate the drip pan from the setter in an indirect cook I use a small stainless rack, about 9"X9". Picked it up at local dollar store. Big difference in burning, or lack of burning the drippings. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    Yup - burnt chicken grease is the likely culprit.

To separate my plate setter from my drip pan, I use 3 or 4 small tinfoil balls, roll em up about the size of a marble, put them down on your plate setter and put your drip pan on them, works very well.
    [Insert clever signature line here]