Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Turkey

Options
tjcavitt
tjcavitt Posts: 6
edited August 2012 in Poultry
Surely many people have done this. I am curious if people are doing this direct or indirect as well as what temp. Also, what kind of experience either brining, injecting or both? Thanks!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Direct 400 raised. I do 11/12 pound birds with a hand full of mixed cherry/pecan chips. If you need more meat just do 2 or 3 birds as it only takes an hour 15 or so. No Oil,  No Brining, No Injecting. I do leave out  uncovered in fridge overnight (if I think about it or have time) Also I use a coffee rub on bird.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Say I wanted to do this for Thanksgiving.  I would need to feed ~10 people so possibly a 12-16lb bird.  Can that be spatchcocked (well?) or is something that big better off just roasted indirect?

I only have a BGE large and wont be able to fit multiple birds and get the "Direct" cook on them as well.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    @ robnybbq-I have the LBGE and did a 15# turkey spatchcocked last Thanksgiving-indirect at around 350*F on the dome.  Took around 2.5 hours-turned out great.  15-16 #'s is about the largest you can fit spatchcocked on the LBGE grill without having to get creative.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Is that at gasket level? Or raised on a AR?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Indirect at around the gasket level.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I know you are asking about spatchcock turkey, but just for frame of reference, here is an 18.5 lb turkey on a large. Just enough room to squeeze some sausage around it but that's all.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• robnybbq
    Options
    What would be better for the Thanksgiving feast?  Spatchcocked or Roasted on the Egg?

And I am also assuming I should get a "Fresh" turkey from the butcher instead of a frozen grocery store type.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Options
    What would be better for the Thanksgiving feast?  Spatchcocked or Roasted on the Egg?

And I am also assuming I should get a "Fresh" turkey from the butcher instead of a frozen grocery store type.
    6 years in a row spatchcocked turkey for thanksgiving

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I'm with Mickey.  I did my first spatchcock turkey last Thanksgiving after many years of frying turkeys. I will be doing spatchcock turkey again this year.  Most juicy, flavorful, tender bird I have had. 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Plcharfoon
    Options
    I've done two 18 pound turkeys the past two Thanksgivings with success on my large...
    Here is my method:
    Three days before the cook, dry brine all over under the skin with kosher salt, pepper and dried herbs. Put in plastic bag (eliminate most of the air).
    One day before the cook, take out of the bag and return to the fridge uncovered.
    Cook direct at 350 for 2.5 to 3 hours with apple smoke. 
    Always beats the indoor turkey in time and taste...
  • tjcavitt
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Going to try one this weekend and will let you know how it turns out.
  • llrickman
    Options
    robnybbq said:

in my opinion nothing better than madmax's turkey

http://nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    If you are concerned about space, "part out" the bird. A ten pound Turkey is about the limit on my MBGE when spatchcocked, I can get about 13-15 pounder on if I quarter (or more) the bird. I usually cook indirect 350 to 375 grid, very little smoke, no brine, no injection, sit in fridge maybe 12 hours, sage based rub just before it hits the grill. Typically, 60 to 70 minutes. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!