Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ restaurants you've been to.

Comments

• mwraulst
    mwraulst Posts: 131

There use to be a place on signal mtn tn, and another in soddy daisy, tn called waycrazy's bbq. They had the best q and sauce around. their hot version would light you up Think the old man that ran it passed and the tradition was unable to continue.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I must offer a tip of the hat to a place called "Bubba's" in Eureka Springs, Arkansas.  It was the first place I ever had dry ribs. I assumed that good ribs always had sauce. Those showed that was not true.

They've got a fine brick lined smoker now, but back then, according to my buddy who introduced me, they had just a pit in the ground around back, circled w. roofing shingles, that was started every morning at 4 a.m.
  • 4 Rivers in Orlando, FL
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Austin folks, maybe you can help me. Was there for business a few years ago and the folks I was seeing took me to a BBQ joint up on a hill with a great view. Spoke to the owner who told us the place used to be a speakeasy back in the day. They are known for beef ribs, and they were quite good. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place, but I'd like to go back sometime. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
    County Line. Beef ribs are good. Everything else sucks. Haven't been there in15 years but drive by it every week if that tells you anything. They have 2 locations. One on the hill and one on Lake Austin. Tourist place.
    Believe they have one on the Riverwalk in San Antonio and a long, long time ago they had one in Corpus Christi.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Austin folks, maybe you can help me. Was there for business a few years ago and the folks I was seeing took me to a BBQ joint up on a hill with a great view. Spoke to the owner who told us the place used to be a speakeasy back in the day. They are known for beef ribs, and they were quite good. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place, but I'd like to go back sometime. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
    County Line. Beef ribs are good. Everything else sucks. Haven't been there in15 years but drive by it every week if that tells you anything. They have 2 locations. One on the hill and one on Lake Austin. Tourist place.
    Believe they have one on the Riverwalk in San Antonio and a long, long time ago they had one in Corpus Christi.
    They still do. The waitress recommended the beef ribs, which I had, and I they were great.
    The wife still thinks it was the best food we had in San Antonio.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Never seen a biker crowd at the one in Harlem. 
    Lots of yuppies though.

I've only been to the one in Syracuse and assumed the others were similar.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Shiff said:

tazcrash said:

oh

Never seen a biker crowd at the one in Harlem. 

Lots of yuppies though.

I've only been to the one in Syracuse and assumed the others were similar.
    Oh, and lots of hipsters
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    i had jmueller's about 2 weeks ago in austin.  that my friends is the best brisket i have ever tasted.
    Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    edited August 2012
    Brisket- Franklin's in Austin.  Hands down the best I've had.  He cooks them in brown butcher paper, which is fairly unusual. Ribs weren't that good though. Ribs - Me :-) Second is Artz Rib House in Austin but i haven't been in a while.  Sauce - Salt Lick.  Good on everything.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Wish I could remember the name, but the pics of Bryant's that come up on Google aren't it....too nice.  This place was a dump, old cafeteria trays, mixed matched second hand furniture, servers in white t-shirts.  I remember when you got to the end of the line they tossed about four slices of white bread on your tray.  Except that the food was pretty good, it was like an Army, or may prison, chow line.

Parking lot had a million dollars worth of cars in it.
    it was definitely arthur bryant's.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=643&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=tjDULK8YAjfOMM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:09-01-06-ArthurBryant-int.jpg&docid=4O4CUx76G1LmFM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/09-01-06-ArthurBryant-int.jpg&w=800&h=600&ei=2dMrUOTzIOXy2QX2lICIAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=332&sig=109163468771659471112&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:120&tx=94&ty=33
    OK, if you Google Arthur Bryant's you get a different picture, but the new link you sent is it.  That's just how it looked, except I remembered it not being quite that nice.  Wasn't real pretty outside either.
    It's definitely not in a good part of town.  My wife works right next door and they routinely find bullet holes in the roof and side of the building.
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    I'm originally from Charleston SC and I used to go to a place called melvin's. Pretty good. Now that I do my own its lost that wow factor. But they do have a really good red mustard sauce and the yellow is great too. They have this cheeseburger that is so good it'll make you tongue slap your brains out. Mmm
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

Pecan Lodge in Farmers Market Downton Dallas, Went today and waited for 30MIN for complete goodness.

Mac&Cheese with green chillis was awesome. The Brisket had a great smoke ring and very moist.

My wife complained at me that I would not bring any home, told her food does not travel in my new truck for a while.

PL.JPG 268.8K

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Chunz82
    Chunz82 Posts: 14
    Central BBQ in Memphis
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    12 Bones in Asheville.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Central BBQ in Memphis
    Glad to finally see something from Memphis (i.e. not Texas)

Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    12 Bones in Asheville is a great spot.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Brisket- Franklin's in Austin.  Hands down the best I've had.  He cooks them in brown butcher paper, which is fairly unusual. Ribs weren't that good though. Ribs - Me :-) Second is Artz Rib House in Austin but i haven't been in a while.  Sauce - Salt Lick.  Good on everything.

The butcher paper is for the hold after it's cooked instead of foil. It breathes and does not destroy the crust. Black's in lockhart, J. Muellers in Austin, and Franklin all do them that. I'm sure several others in Central TX do as well. It's cooked in the open on the pit and then put in the paper to hold before serving
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • i had jmueller's about 2 weeks ago in austin.  that my friends is the best brisket i have ever tasted.

Yeah Buddy. He and Franklin can bring it on the brisket
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    i had jmueller's about 2 weeks ago in austin.  that my friends is the best brisket i have ever tasted.

+1 for J Mueller and Franklin in Texas. The briskets at both places are just amazing. Another one I like is Salt Lick.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Another of my top favorites is Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL for ribs. I havent been there in years, though. The one in Birmingham is somewhat ... uh, different. Maybe the original one is different too, for all I know.

It's time for a road trip.

Tim
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    12 Bones in Asheville.

+1 great spot- good funky sauces
    Greensboro, NC
  • Another of my top favorites is Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL for ribs. I havent been there in years, though. The one in Birmingham is somewhat ... uh, different. Maybe the original one is different too, for all I know.

Tim
    Tim,

The one in Birmingham is a different breed. The one in T-town isn't as good as it used to by IMO, but I enjoy going at least once each football season.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • lecrams
    lecrams Posts: 116
    I can't believe Fatt Matt's Rib Shack in Atlanta hasn't been mentioned! I love it. Also in Atlanta, Old South has some pretty tasty meet. Byron's Smokehouse in Auburn, AL is pretty damn good. I grew up on eastern NC Q and have a soft spot for the BBQ Lodge on Capital Blvd in Raleigh.
  • lecrams, if Fatt Matt's really good? I used to work at the railroad just down the road, but never tried it.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    Some of the best advice I ever received..........
    "never eat BBQ in a place where all the chairs match".
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Whoa....someone call the FBI! DB Cooper is on our forum!
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    Another of my top favorites is Dreamland in Tuscaloosa, AL for ribs. I havent been there in years, though. The one in Birmingham is somewhat ... uh, different. Maybe the original one is different too, for all I know.

Tim
    Tim,

The one in Birmingham is a different breed. The one in T-town isn't as good as it used to by IMO, but I enjoy going at least once each football season.
    Are you old enough to remember Archibald's in Northport? Do you know if it's still there? When I went to UofA, that's where the folks in the know went. Man it was good!

Tim
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    BigGreenBamaGriller Posts: 629
    edited August 2012

Tim
    Tim,

Are you old enough to remember Archibald's in Northport? Do you know if it's still there? When I went to UofA, that's where the folks in the know went. Man it was good!

Tim
    Yes, Archibald's is still there. Pork - sliced or ribs, white bread, chips and canned cokes. (for those of you that have never been, I just quoted the entire menu). Go by there at least once every football season. I know it's not BBQ, but I assume you frequented City Cafe as well??
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
  • I grew up and live in Fort Worth...around here we like Railhead and Angelo's

but my favorite is Black's BBQ in Lockhart...oh man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHLpsvUdhfo

Franklin's in Austin is good, but not worth a 30-120 minute wait...when in Austin, you can drive to Lockhart in about 30 minutes and have Black's, Kreuz Market, or Smitty's and a very short line usually....or sample all three and see which one you like.

Funny thing is a lot of people like Salt Lick in Driftwood..I thought it was just ok, but I love their Dry Rub and use it at home a lot.   Also, Railhead in Fort Worth sells their rub and it is very good also.  You can get a 32 ounce or so size bottle of it from them for like 8 bucks.

• txbbq
    txbbq Posts: 16
    The challenge for me is that I only like super fatty extra moist brisket. I stopped going to the salt lick years ago, but recently went again and told them it had to be super fatty extra moist, when they brought it out it was amazing so Ive started going back there. Over the last 4 trips there, about half the plates they brought out werent supper fatty and extra moist so we sent them back. The super fatty extra moist is completely awesome

You cant just order any random cut, if it isnt shiny and falling apart then it wont be good. Most people dont know the difference, so the cutters just cut what is in front of them. some people even order lean..

I have been to franklins 4 times and it can be great, but I would never wait more than 30 minutes for bbq. One of the times it was only so so, after standing in line for 30 minutes their bbq needs to be awesome every time.

I have been to blacks and kreuzs but only 1 time each and neither was good at all. Id like to try them again, but after the first time its hard to get the motivation to go.

county line is a tourist trap and their bbq is some of the worst in town.

rudys is a great quick brisket lunch, but you also have to ask for super fatty extra moist which about 25% of the time I need to send back for them to try a different cut.

Remember, shiny and falling apart.