Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lodge cast iron pizza pan

Options
burntbrisket
burntbrisket Posts: 22
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

I heard a program on NPR yesterday about a new Lodge cast iron pizza pan.  America's Test Kitchen gave it great reviews

Has anyone tried it out?  Obviously cast iron has great heat retention qualities and the review said it heats up in about half the time of the traditional pizza stone. 

Comments

• smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I don't have a lodge cast iron pizza pan but I use a rectangular griddle for  pizza pan I love it. I will be buying some rond cast iron pizza pans soon.

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    I have one and it is great.  I have a traditional pizza stone and a BGE pizza pan with holes in the bottom and my wife always wants the pizza done it the cast iron pan.

No need to preheat.  Just make your pizza right in the pan (after oiling with olive oil), put it on a raised grid with platesetter legs up.  At 550-600 it will take about 10-12 minutes.

The pan is a 14' diameter pan.
  • lowlightbw
    Options
    https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?idProduct=3984
     This looks cool! I may have to pick one up for pizzas! Walmart online has it for $34
  • Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have the pizza pan also and it works great.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I have a medium BGE so the max width I can do is 15 1/2". Specs say it's a 14" pan, can anyone tell me how far the handles stick out???
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • burntbrisket
    Options

Those of you that have cooked on a pizza stone and on the cast iron.

Do you find any difference in the crust or how the pizza turns out?

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I want and am looking for a CI Pizza pan that is 16". To be used in a LBGE.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I have Mario Batali red pizza pan (cast iron) from Crate and Barrel 18 1/2 inches with handles. I can't figure out how to post the picture - sorry. I have used it for pizza, blackening, French toast, pancakes, and bread. I also have a pizza stone but for the money I get more use out of the pan and don't see a whole lot of difference.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • burntbrisket
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone!
  • RandallB
    RandallB Posts: 67
    Options
    I broke my second baking stone on pizza (high heat) , so I am interested in the cast iron.    I would think it would hold heat more (run hotter) than the stone.   But, from other comments it doesn't sound like it.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    I have one and it is great.  I have a traditional pizza stone and a BGE pizza pan with holes in the bottom and my wife always wants the pizza done it the cast iron pan.

No need to preheat.  Just make your pizza right in the pan (after oiling with olive oil), put it on a raised grid with platesetter legs up.  At 550-600 it will take about 10-12 minutes.

Could you measure yours including the handles? Thanks!!!
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I am always interested to hear how people store their CI pans to avoid rusting when used infrequently.  How do you do it?
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I always coat in oil after cleaning, then dry on the range, and store indoors.
    Options

@Cymbaline65 Just measured Lodge pan tip to tip of handles 18 3/8   I use it in my LBGE.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I broke my second baking stone on pizza (high heat) , so I am interested in the cast iron.    I would think it would hold heat more (run hotter) than the stone.   But, from other comments it doesn't sound like it.
    Don't think it is that CI runs hotter than stone, I mean 600F is 600F in a stabilized egg. The benefit, or fault, depends on your perspective, is that CI will heat faster. As noted, some folks build the pie in the cool pan and just set it in the egg. You can't get ideal results doing that with a stone. If you are doing multiple pies, a stone is great, simple cooling wipe between pies.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

@Cymbaline65 Just measured Lodge pan tip to tip of handles 18 3/8   I use it in my LBGE.
    Ah bummer...thanks for doing that thought!!
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

I meant to say "though"