Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi-Que ?

bigphil
bigphil Posts: 1,390
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend i picked  up a weber charcoal grate to see just how much more air flow i'd get and lump consumption before buying the Hi-Que for my large and it seems to consume more lump i expected that. what am wondering has anyone purchased the weber grate then got the Hi-Que is the spacing closer together then the weber and does it consume the same amount or less the weber allows a lot of lump to fall through plus i don't see it lasting long cause its so thin . i mainly want it for during the week for lo and slow i'll use the drain cover.
Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The Hi-Que grate doesn't burn any more lump than you allow the dampers to burn over the grate.  What it does do is give you better air flow for getting super hot, and lets you be a little lazier in making sure the air can flow during lo-n-slows. 

The hi-Que is pretty thick stainless - should last longer than steel.  Someone did the math on the amount of area you can theoretically deliver air over the grate - it was significant, but no advantage other than less cloggable for the slow cooks.

Small lump does fall through, but it ultimately ends up burning and contributing to the heat just like if it were above the grate.
    The Hi-Que grate doesn't burn any more lump than you allow the dampers to burn over the grate.  What it does do is give you better air flow for getting super hot, and lets you be a little lazier in making sure the air can flow during lo-n-slows. 

The hi-Que is pretty thick stainless - should last longer than steel.  Someone did the math on the amount of area you can theoretically deliver air over the grate - it was significant, but no advantage other than less cloggable for the slow cooks.

Small lump does fall through, but it ultimately ends up burning and contributing to the heat just like if it were above the grate.
    +1
  • bigphil
    edited August 2012
    Thanks . what i did notice the lump at 450 with the weber grate was glowing red beneath where as with the drain not as much and with the weber it seemed to burn faster could be my imagination but i'll be ordering the grate for two reasons the weber is 10 inches so it sits higher only a inch bigger but when you factor in the angle of the firebox its a bit less lump allowed maybe that why i seem to think it burned more and i like the idea of it being thicker rather than tooth pick size  .Thanks again 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think it was a good purchase for me just by virtue I never have problems reaching whatever temp I want, never (knock on green ceramic) had the fire go out, and I'm kinda lazy about removing the ashes - only do a thorough job about once a bag. 
    have the digiq for lo and slow the fan powers through . my reason reason for wanting it  is for higher cooks during the week had a few occasions that i had trouble or couldn't reach the temp i wanted not often but its frustrating when you do    
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    I have been happy with it, u use more fuel so cleanout is required sooner as well. I am still having the issue when I pick around the coals having the grate move on me, just like the older one did.
    Other than that its been great, eliminates any ilttle chunks because everything burns.
    Seattle, WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @bigphil: i have the Weber grate, have used it for over a dozen cooks, including pizza.
    After a few cooks you will see it warp. So when I clean it, i flip the Weber grate and let it warp back. :)
    I also like being able to light from the bottom.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bigphil
    @tazcrash did you also notice what I said I have with it ? And thanks
  • tazcrash
    If you mean the digiQ for low, and you only want it for high temps.... yep.
    Btw found the pic of the warp.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • trip150
    trip150 Posts: 55
    my before and after pics.  
    the Hi-que gives you a significantly greater amount of airflow.  
    did only a baby burp on my egg last night while doing steaks and singed the hair off my hand. 

• bigphil
    edited August 2012
    Thanks everyone . So today i come home open my BGE stir the lump and empty the ash and have all this unburned lump. Think wow thats a lot then realize i stirred it before emptying it ,
    huge double face palm  
  • bigphil
    forgot this man huge fails today lol 
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    If you mean the digiQ for low, and you only want it for high temps.... yep. Btw found the pic of the warp.

that is aweseome.  thanks for the post!
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Thanks everyone . So today i come home open my BGE stir the lump and empty the ash and have all this unburned lump. Think wow thats a lot then realize i stirred it before emptying it ,
    huge double face palm  

No more little nuggets with the high que, strictly ash is all that's left.
    Seattle, WA
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Those Weber grates will warp and rust but they last a really really really long time. I have the Hi-que on my medium because there wasn't a Weber option. I'm very happy with it but it costs a lot for what it is compared to the cheaper Weber option. 
  • tazcrash
    I was thinking of getting a second Weber grate and putting them so that the grids are perpendicular to each other, keep some more smalls in there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    Tazcrash

After reading this thread, I had the same thought!
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    It works well and saves charcoal. The only problem is that in order to get the grates to fit together closely so they won't rock or be uneven, you have to put the top one upside down. That makes the cross bar face up and you can accidentally snag it when you are cleaning out ash. Not a big deal but something to be aware of. 

• tazcrash
    Thanks for the warning @hogsfan.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • Hi-Que users, how well are the stainless steel fire grates holding up against corrosion and warping?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    MBGE, about 1 year old High-Q, looks like the day it went in, less the shine of course. No sign of warp or pitting. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    +1 Skiddymarker
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

The high-cue on my large is pushing two years, still looks great.  Mini one is only one year, but just the same.

They're gonna last a looooong time!

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I cooked with mine for the first time yesterday.  You can definitely tell that there is way more air flow.  It got very hot very fast.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • grEGGorys
    grEGGorys Posts: 168
    I got mine about one month ago and have seen a great difference in airflow. I get to temp faster and I can get the temp a lot higher then before. I would highly recommend the Hi-Que grate.
    Gulf Coast FL