Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Side Table

Eggucated
Eggucated Posts: 213
edited August 2012 in EGG Table Forum
Well it's been a busy summer with the new boat, so I haven't really been doing a lot of egging, other than the typical burgers, brats, steaks, etc.  I haven't posted or been on the boards too much lately because of that.  However, I found out we may be relocated by my employer so we were cleaning up a bunch of junk (amazing how quickly it accumulates).  Turns out I had a bunch of 2 x 10's I needed to get rid of and a couple hours of free time.  Combine the wood with free time and a desire to have some space to cook, and I created my three hour Side Table!  That included cutting, screwing it together, sanding, and putting on a few coats of wipe on poly for some protection.  I used pressure treated wood (although it's been laying around the yard and under the deck for about 4 years) so I wanted a coat of poly to keep the chemicals at bay.  I'm not setting food directly on the table so I'm not worried about food safety, but wanted it to look a little nicer.  (Plus I finished off a can of poly as a bonus).

It's not gorgeous, but it was a fun project and it's functional, I do need a bottle opener mounted on it though...

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."

Comments

• Eggucated
    edited August 2012
    I traced my helpers hand's on the top (7 year old, and 4 year old) and then routed out the shape to a depth of 1/4".  They really loved it, and after it rains they can't wait to High 5 their hand and splash the water out!

I still have some wood left so thinking of adding a bottom shelf for storage, and maybe sanding and sealing the legs as well.

Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Nice man. Good deal with the helpers.

XLBGE 
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    It doesn't have to have a hole in it to be an effective egg-table!
    Nicely done...you've given me some ideas if (when) I expand.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Nicely done. I built a table for my large, and at the time I thought it was big enough for prepping, storage and such. After two years I've found that's not enough and I've been wondering about a solution. You've inspired me. Love the little helpers touch and the finished edges. Time to dig through the spare lumber pile in the shed.
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    That's what I should've done  :-S
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    hmmm.... Liking the idea. Already have a nest...

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    hmmm.... Liking the idea. Already have a nest...
    Me too!
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Eggucated
    edited August 2012
    It's not real pretty, but it was quick and functional (although I did route the edges, kinda like slapping lip stick on a pig).  I was surprised by the grain pattern, and thought after I had sanded a few years of crud and weather off that the wood was nicer than I expected.  However, I do think when I get around to buying some Cedar or nice wood, I may keep the side table layout.  I can see times when it would be nice to have a table on both the left and right.  In my mind it just adds some extra functionality.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    This is kind of the same route I have taken thus far.  I had an old teak patio set that was no longer needed. I cut it down and made a nice Egg Table to have next to my XL.  Has plenty of surface area to put the PS and grid as well as whatever else I need.  May put some hooks on it to hang utensils on as well.
    Now I'm gonna rig up an umbrella in a HD Homer bucket and keep my happy ass in the shade while I'm tending to it.  You know, to keep the beer out of the sun.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Great idea and the helpers will always own a piece of the "family egg", hell their fingerprints are on it!

Looks good! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • That's an awesome idea.  I just ran across a deal on another large and may do just what you've done with an egg on each end.  Thanks for the pic and hop you don't mine me cabbaging the idea !  Keeps total mobility, both eggs are in nests and I can still use one side of each egg-mate.  I'm on a mission.

• Baysidebob
    Wife likes it!  It's a go.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    If my employer was moving me and I had "three extra hours", I'd probably just be whimpering in a corner.  

Bravo!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Baysidebob
    7 2X6's, deck screws and gorrilla glue.  Done in an afternoon and I now have decent workspace.  Just threw on some deck stain because I expect to beat it up.
    024.JPG 316.1K
  • Aviator
    Hey, we are, I think going with this idea. The open plan of expansion is certainly a plus. Can't tell who is "we", but its exciting times. Gonna order us some good wood tomoro.

:)

Chattanooga, TN.

• Baysidebob
    Just threw on some deck stain because I expect to beat it up.

So I’m sittin’ on my (little) deck with a cold one on the side table. Wife rushes out with coasters. Coasters? She announces she doesn’t want drippy marks on the side table like it’s “furniture”. I explain to her, “Baby, this is a work-bench that will receive honorable scars in the battle of man versus meat.” She doesn’t get the point. We’ll see...

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Just threw on some deck stain because I expect to beat it up.

So I’m sittin’ on my (little) deck with a cold one on the side table. Wife rushes out with coasters. Coasters? She announces she doesn’t want drippy marks on the side table like it’s “furniture”. I explain to her, “Baby, this is a work-bench that will receive honorable scars in the battle of man versus meat.” She doesn’t get the point. We’ll see...

Love it!
    :))
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• ETBee
    ETBee Posts: 46
    I love the idea.  It never crossed my mind to leave the Egg in its nest and build the table off to one side.    More workspace, simpler construction, and greater mobility. Awesome!
  • Baysidebob

What works for me is the "work-bench" concept.  It's not "furniture", it's working space.  I just did some 5 1/2 hour ribs and had plenty of room for foil and you-name-it.  I've started woking on the BGE and there is no mess-around time with the wok.  I can now line up everything in order and still have space for the ring when I want to bleed off some heat.  Lots of folks go for fancy finishes and good for them.  For me it's a tool.  Oh yeah, I did add this to it:

• Aviator
    Yeah I think tis is where I am at. Makes perfect sense. Besides, take a look under the nest and its all ash and debris anyway. I'd much rather blow / sweep this away, than sit and "clean" a table. Now to just make it look pretty, I need visual ideas.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Started a side-table (really to hold my cold smoker) on Saturday - recycled heart pine and cypress.  Quick day and a half project.  Just need to secure the top and shelf and put a couple more coats of spar varnish on it.  Cold smoker is in the background.  Has wheels, like I think everything should.

• Love it! I discovered an awesome benefit to the side table design yesterday. It started raining as I was firing up the egg, so I just rolled under the upper deck and stayed dry. I would have been soaked if it was in a table. Sorry I haven't been on here lately, but we aren't relocating now! Whoo hoo! However, we are moving to a new house, and the new house deserves a nicer table. So I'll keep the side table design, but I think I'll use nicer wood and add a shelf and doors for storage.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very nice
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.