Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The_Bozzinator
The_Bozzinator Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in Pork
Well it's been about a month since my wife got me the XL BGE for my birthday.  I jsut did my first Turkey and pork butt on it over the weekend, Kept it simple for now just a basic rub, had to experiment before thanksgiving when i smoke a bigger turkey. They came out awesome, This grill, smoker, wonderland is friggin amazing.  Holycow I wish i had one of these along time ago. Everything I have cook one the BGE has come out Fantastic.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Welcome. I look forward to your cooks and pics.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Welcome aboard.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Welcome - what was your process you used to smoke your turkey?  How big was it?   Did you brine it?

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I was stationed about 6hrs from egg hq, and boy do I wish I had bought an egg while stationed there. Did you leave turkey in tact, or butterfly it (spatchcock)? I want to smoke a turkey, and want to test spatchcock turkey.

Have fun!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Welcome. 
    Learning the low and slow, indirect style of "relaxing" BBQ is a life changer, and the BGE is the best there is. It can also be stoked to incinerate just about anything, very versatile, but the strength is the slow smoke and roast. 
    I've found it is easy to overcook in the egg, but even those cooks tasted fine. Very forgiving and it makes the cook look much better than I am. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Welcome to the family. This forum is a great resource to learn and share your knowledge with others. You'll hear this often: pics or it didn't happen.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Pics...  Ya, I was going to tell you all how great my Trex steaks were the other night, but I forgot to take any pictures... so... it didn't happen. But dang, were they good!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • I did not brine the turkey at all, I used a 8lbs turkey with the BGE turkey stand, a pan with some apple juice in it and 1 hunk of apple wood and 1 hunk of hickory wood. The turkey took a little over 4 hrs to cook. here is a pic of the finished turkey. did the turkey at about 300-310F