Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra heavy duty aluminum foil

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I used to get this at reg grocery store all the time...then they quit having it for unknown reasons-but I have an idea why...anyways...I thought I would share with those of you that like the extra heavy duty foil that you can buy it on Amazon. Huge roll 500 ft (NOT sf), roll 18 in wide or 24 in wide $105-175. When you figure the standard roll is sf,not linear-it's a great deal. I got the 18 in wide. It fits all my pan lining and food wrapping needs very well. It just holds up better. No need to double or triple wrap... Just thought I'd share for those interested.
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    The 75 sq ft rolls are 50 ft by 18 inches for $5.38 at Target.  10 rolls or 500 feet would be $53.80.  You do have to deal with 10 rolls, but it is half the price of the giant roll on amazon.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    The 75 sq ft rolls are 50 ft by 18 inches for $5.38 at Target.  10 rolls or 500 feet would be $53.80.  You do have to deal with 10 rolls, but it is half the price of the giant roll on amazon.
    Don't think the comparison is apples to apples. Although the square footage is the same for half the price, what is the thickness? Personal experience has shown that "extra heavy duty" from one company is not the same as extra heavy duty from another company. 
    Maybe there is someone on the forum who knows how they rate thickness of foil, is it in microns, thousandths of an inch or what? I could not find any mention of thickness on the "heavy duty" 18" roll I am currently using. 
    To some cooks, the heavy stuff is worth the extra money, to others maybe not so much. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jjmills
    jjmills Posts: 117
    Thickness is measured in microns but not all manufacturers list thickness.  I'm sure like all things you get what you pay for.  If your cheap you will get a less quality item.
     LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Just got Reynolds foodservice HD foil 500feet x 18inches at the  restaurant  supply store $25.00
    this morning  
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • My wife is an extreme couponer and gets the extra heavy duty reynolds wrap non stick extra wide rolls for free. We have a couple hundred right now lol.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• dlk7

First bit of research - I'll update

Aluminum Foil Thickness and Gauge

Standard (SD): In the US, a true standard foil will be 0.00065 gauge. Rounded up, this is commonly known in the industry as 0.0007 gauge foil. This standard foil gauge translates to at least 16 microns in thickness and is the most widely used gauge of commercial foil wrap today. An economy gauge foil is only 0.00055 gauge or 14 microns.

Heavy Duty (HD): A true heavy duty foil wrap measures in at 0.00087 gauge, commonly rounded up to 0.001 gauge, equivalent to 23.5 microns. 0.001 is most widely used heavy duty gauge within the food service industry. An economy gauge heavy duty foil is only 0.00082 gauge or approximately 20 microns thick.

Extra Heavy Duty (XHD): There isn't a stronger foil commercially available than this, however it is possible some manufacturers can custom make a thicker foil but it would cost exceptionally high. Extra heavy duty foil comes in at 0.0015 gauge or 35 microns in thickness.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4879959

Waunakee, WI

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I get 18" x 500' of stuff that is almost borderline too thick from a local restaurant supply shop for $20. My local Costco also has 18"x500' EHD for $20, but I've never bought it there so I can't say how thick it is. I don't usually see a lot of love on here for the restaurant supply stores but they're great. Lots of very handy kitchen items that you just can't buy at other stores, and they're usually pretty cheap. I buy 100 sheet packs of parchment paper precut into half sheet pan sizes, half size hotel pans are great to have, much higher quality heavy gauge sheet pans for $10 a piece that don't have some stupid NS coating, I bought a used Vitamix with a brand new gear and a brand new jar for $100 which is an absolute steal. If you have a RS store nearby I highly recommend that you check it out.
    XL BGE
  • dlk7

more:

For wrapping small food items such as tacos, sandwiches, potatoes, etc... standard aluminum foil is all you need. It isn't necessary to spend the extra money on heavy duty foil. Standard foil will also work well to cover small containers and cups. However, there are some jobs that heavy duty will work best for. For wrapping large trays, pans, and large food items, then its best to go with a heavy duty foil wrap that's at least 18 inches long. If you're using aluminum foil as an oven liner or burner bib, then use heavy duty. Covering your back-splash or grill areas? HD foil. Wrap to cover food in oven/broiler? HD foil. As you can see, heavy duty foil is much more versatile in your kitchen than standard, but try using it only where standard foil isn't adequate for the job. For that reason, many restaurants stock both standard and heavy duty foil in their kitchens. Extra heavy duty foil is usually used on outdoor grills when food such as ribs or brisket is being slow smoked or grilled. The reason for this is that the thinner it is, aluminum foil will eventually lose its integrity when exposed to intense heat such as an outdoor barbecue grill or smoker. Standard foil will start browning (due to oxidization) and crumble rather quickly. HD foil will hold up much better on the grill or in the smoker, but Extra-Heavy foil will last for hours before it gives way.

Waunakee, WI

• dlk7

Which Foil Brand is the Best?

During numerous tests and via customer feedback, we found that all of the foil manufacturers listed below make a great premium brand foil wrap. However, the foil itself is only one aspect in determining quality, the second is the quality of the packaging. Packaging is critical. Commercial food service foil will not hold up in your ordinary supermarket type of dispenser box. They are housed in bigger, stronger corrugated cutterboxes and dispensed off of hard plastic rollers. The sturdier the box, the longer it will last in your restaurant kitchen. If a cutterbox isn't made strong enough, it will rapidly weaken and fall apart in harsh kitchen environments due to grease, moisture, heat, and by wear and tear. However, 2 brands stood out from the pack both in terms of quality of foil and superb overall packaging. Durable and Wilkinson brands make excellent reinforced corrugated cutterboxes, which do not easily dent or bend, or fall apart, thereby allowing for continuous easy foil dispensing. Surprisingly, Reynolds was at the bottom of the pack. While they make the great supermarket brand in Reynolds Wrap, Reynolds food service cutterboxes ranked dead last in our testing as they seem to be on the flimsy side. Pactiv would be our third choice, followed by HFA and Western Plastics.

Waunakee, WI

• I'm talking EXTRA heavy duty here. There is def a diff to me between HD and EHD. It does not list microns on the box but REGULAR foil is 16.256, REGULAR HEAVY duty is 23.622 and EXTRA HEAVY duty is 34.798 microns thick according to polytechforum.com. I'm getting too technical here...lol
    Rome, GA
  • and again-LINEAR feet-not SF
    Rome, GA
  • oh well, jus trying to be helpful....
    Rome, GA
  • dlk7
    oh well, jus trying to be helpful....
    Your were very helpful.  I never would have thought about the different choices or sizes or thicknesses if it weren't for your post.  Now everyone has good information to make informed choices.  Thanks!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• ;)
    Rome, GA
  • dlk7-We must have been posting at same time..I didn't see ur article but it Is also useful info. I will say my Reynolds box was slightly damaged on 1 side but I attributed that to shipping. I will look into the other brands mentioned in ur post when I finish my Reynolds
    Rome, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Geez - Mini, small, medium, large, X large, direct, indirect, chicken, brisket, ribs, legs up, legs down, sear before, sear after, use a woo or spider - there are just so many choices, NOW I have to think about that shiny aluminum stuff I thought was all the same. 

Much thanks to krobertsmsn for starting the post and to dlk7 for the great info.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Sam's Club.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• skiddymarker...sorry :(  ..I had extra time on my hands-well maybe a minute or two. Enjoy your good cooks this weekend!
    Rome, GA