Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for a meat temperature probe

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    I have that weber, its actually an Oregon scientific. I had it for years, replaced probe once, but I don't recommend it.
    It uses pre-programmed temps based on meat and has nothing high enough for a pork shoulder or brisket.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I have used (til it failed) the Weber and found that it would read/display temps up into the low 200's-but since you were outside the settings it would always alarm.  Now, if you are going to try a low&slow hunk of meat (other thread) and you don't want to spend big $$-you can get a bi-metallic oven safe thermo in any grocery store for around $ 6-8.  Then with a skilled eye-put it in the meat such that you can see the dial through the DFMT-I use one (calibrated-they can be adjusted) for low&slows to make sure the remote is on-track.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WickedIsland
    Options
    I have the weber as well... hate the pre-set temps but has worked well so far
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    For less than $20 I got something like this (not Onieda) to use when doing low and slow cooks:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=120845&RN=210&

It reads about 7* high, but does it consistently so I just set the alarm 7* higher to compensate.  If you get something test it out at ambient temp and at boiling temp so you can get a sense to its accuracy.

one of these days I plan to get the Maverick 732 so I have remote capability. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I think mine was $7.99 @ ikea. It works and I'm still alive. I think we saw it being used elsewhere, a magazine or some cooking show so it must be decent.
    Seattle, WA
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    Options
    I have the Redicheck like  that and we are happy with it. Bought it long before the egg. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

I have used (til it failed) the Weber and found that it would read/display temps up into the low 200's-but since you were outside the settings it would always alarm.  Now, if you are going to try a low&slow hunk of meat (other thread) and you don't want to spend big $$-you can get a bi-metallic oven safe thermo in any grocery store for around $ 6-8.  Then with a skilled eye-put it in the meat such that you can see the dial through the DFMT-I use one (calibrated-they can be adjusted) for low&slows to make sure the remote is on-track.  FWIW-
    Agreed, save the money on the junky one's I ruined 2 polder one's I got at a local store and just used my Maverick I bought off amazon and will never turn back watch for a sell on the one you want and don't waste money on the cheap ones.  Plus bbq season is almost over for the masses so if you can find a temporary solution maybe you can get a deal in a month or 2.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited August 2012
    Options
    In a pinch, you can take a cheap $8 food thermometer, calibrate it with boiling water by rotating the dial against the stem nut to read 212  F.  Internal temps are ballpark.  Use time and dome temp to approximate the cooking time. 

Start monitoring it before you expect it to be done.  Also, calibrate your dome temp so you know that's not way off. 

Pay attention to direct vs indirect cooking (baking vs grilling is kind of an over-simplification).  Then use a recipe that specifies dome, not grate temp.  What and how big your piece of meat should be part of that calculation (x hrs/pound at y dome temp until z internal temp, - is it chicken, pork butt, what type of roast, steak, etc.). 

If your stuff comes out dry, you're probably way overcooking it.  If it's ribs and tough, under cooked. Or maybe you're using inferior meat.  Read around in the forums and you'll figure it out.
    Maveric ET732 is the best one for my $$
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I found the Maverick ET-732 locally.  I may get this today.  But only debate is since I can never seem to keep the egg at a certain temp for more than 45 minutes and If I give in and buy a controller w/probes down the road should I waste the money on the Maverick as well?

Maverick - $50
    CyberQ - $400.

Also does the Maverick have two probes?  One for the grate and one for the meat?

Thanks

Garnerville, NY
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Maverick ET-732 does have 2 probes ,meat and BBQ temps
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Maverick ET-732, arrived last week as replacement for an old Webber. Used it for an eye of round Italian beef roast. Easy to set up once you use it a time or two and spend a few sober moments reading the instructions. So far so good....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I have the Oneida, been using it for 3 years. It's not a remote but it works great, probe and timer. I also have a Oregon Scientific Grill-Right that I received as a gift, it is remote and I haven't used it yet but it seems to be very informative.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    If you are gonna get a controller down the road, skip the maverick. I hardly ever use mine anymore. Come to think of it.....I'm not sure where it is.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stl4010
    stl4010 Posts: 3
    Options
    Similar question...I bought the BGE Dual Probe Remote Wireless without reading instructions and now am having doubts. It says to place the cable so that it is not in flame or crushed by the cover with NO suggestion as to how to accomplish that. Has anyone used this one? Thinking maybe I should return it and get the Maverick since it seems to be so popular among forum members.
  • stl4010
    Options
    Ironically, just googled the instructions for the Maverick remote and they are IDENTICAL to the ones with my BGE model, so maybe I could just ask what you do with the cable?
  • robnybbq
    Options
    I've seen pics of the probe cable being wrapped in tin foil and or paced where the palte setter/indirect stone will be.

Garnerville, NY
  • stl4010
    Options
    I know I'm showing my newbieness, but it has to connect to the transmitter outside the grill someway...how do you run it out without crushing with the cover?
  • robnybbq
    Options
    The cover will not crush it.

Garnerville, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I wrap the probe cable in foil as a precaution and run it out the side over a platesetter leg with no issues.  I run with a gasket (looking pretty weak...) and have never had an issue with the dome crushing the cable-nor have I heard of such an issue. FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I have been using my Oneida for years with out any problems. I stick it in the meat then I leave enough slack in it so not to touch anything inside the egg and I just run it out between the base and lid and let the felt absorb the thickness of the wire. You have to remember instructions are also designed to protect the manufacturer. I have a coffee mug that says "real men don't need instructions" haha.