Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer can chicken

IowaJim
IowaJim Posts: 17
edited August 2012 in Poultry
i tried a beer can chicken for the first time last night on my medium green egg and it didn't fit, it was sticking up into the dome. i also had trouble getting it up to heat i think b/c of the chicken. Is the medium egg really to small to do a BCC?

Comments

• Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174

I'm not qualified to give a good opinion here, I have an XL and I've done as many as 3 at a time and loved them.

Seems like you should be able to get at least one on there. Did you shove it down as far as you could?

• IowaJim
    I sure did, it was on a stand so I'm thinking I'll try next time without the stand. I did get it finished and tasted ok but wasn't the best looking one I've ever done.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Sorry have a large, did 2 side by side, Not to dissuade you from BCC, but wait till you try spatchcock.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Interesting, Jim.  I was just talking to Tom at Prairie Ag Supply ( the guys that put on the IA State Fair BGE demo) about buying another Egg to go with our XL.  He suggested not buying anything much smaller than the large unless you wanted it for portability due to limitations of cooking certain dishes due to room issues.  His concern was more about grid size, but he did mention you had to watch what size turkey would fit if you chose to smoke one whole.  Never really considered dome height myself, but now I may have to rethink my logic. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • maybe ditch the stand and go back to the beer can, it might provide a lower profile?
  • IowaJim
    Ok you got my interest, what's spatchcock?
  • tazcrash
    edited August 2012
    Lots of ways to do it. Do a quick search, but here is mine:  

Cut out the spine, flatten that birdie, season well with dry spices, put in fridge over night uncovered to help dry out skin, get her nice and high into the dome (grid is raised on bricks, bots, AR rig, etc...) cook to temp. 

Enjoy.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Ok you got my interest, what's spatchcock?

Check out the recipe section at the following link-also this site is a great source of info for all things ceramic.  Enjoy.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • tazcrash

Check out the recipe section at the following link-also this site is a great source of info for all things ceramic.  Enjoy.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 

or that. ;)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • +1 for spatchcock.  I tried the novelty of the beer can when I first got my Egg - and I did it when I had guests - long story short - the chicken took FOREVER to come to temp, and it didn't turn out that great.  Bad first impression w/ the Egg. 

Ever since I learned about spatchcock, been doin it that way ever since, and have never looked back!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I'd put my spatchcock'd chicken against a beer can chicken any day. While you're waiting for your chicken to finish, I'll grill sausage, veggies and finish up the baked potatoes. :D
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I'd put my spatchcock'd chicken against a beer can chicken any day. While you're waiting for your chicken to finish, I'll grill sausage, veggies and finish up the baked potatoes. :D
    My wife disagrees.  She would take a beer can over the spatchcock every time.  It only takes 45 minutes to an hour to do a 5 lb beer can chicken and I grill all the other sides in my other egg at the same time.  Try both and do what you and your significant other love.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• IowaJim
    Almost sounds like my brick chicken only I marinate for a couple of hours and then indirect cook it with a couple of bricks, done in about 4o minutes. I'll have to try the spatchcock and compare. that's for the tip.
  • tazcrash
    edited August 2012
    Very similar, but with the dome closed (as it should be) you don't need the bricks.

Let us know how it goes.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm Kinda attempts debunk of beer can chicken
    Boom
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/beercanchicken.htm Kinda attempts debunk of beer can chicken
    Interesting write-up.  I bought a BC stand when I got the Egg, but have never remembered to use it. 

Next time, I'd like the Whiz to measure evaporation.  Not that it changes the conclusions, but I wonder how much beer evaporated.  Probably on only a few milliliters over a control beer sitting at ambient temp.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Interesting write-up.  I bought a BC stand when I got the Egg, but have never remembered to use it. 

Next time, I'd like the Whiz to measure evaporation.  Not that it changes the conclusions, but I wonder how much beer evaporated.  Probably on only a few milliliters over a control beer sitting at ambient temp.

While this article is of course not the end all be all, and I'm sure naked whiz would agree, it is amazing how defensive so e people have got over beer can chicken when I've brought it up. The people who do it regular will not budge on it being about the best way to make chicken. Would think I insulted their mother country or something ha
    Boom
  • GreenEggAndMan
    GreenEggAndMan Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    Here is a picture of my first attempt at a spatchcock, and boy are they tasty! You have to remove the backbone and then cut the cartilage in the breast bone so that the chicken will be able to lay completely flat. Best of luck on yours!
  • This is how I do them

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Here is a link to a video which will instruct you on how to spatchcock a chicken! Enjoy.

On my picture above i have added halved lemons under the skin on top of the breasts, not only is it good for flavor if you like a citrus on your chicken but you'll also get a good laugh out of your guests.

Here is a pic of someone else's beer can chicken with boobs!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    IowaJim - I suspect you cooked with the platesetter? I usually cook spatchcock but I have cooked BCC in my Small without a platesetter (drip pan only for indirect) and a 5 lb bird fits: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos A bit tight in a Small but it shouldn't be a problem on your Med unless maybe it sits really high on your stand. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • GreenEggAndMan
    GreenEggAndMan Posts: 53
    edited September 2012
    R2Egg2Q, What is the head made of since you've cooked with it on? And is it used to contain the moisture in the bird?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I believe it is ceramic. Yes, seals off the neck cavity. Serves the same purpose as jamming a potato or apple wedge in there. I'm pretty sure the company that made them is out of business now as I can't find them anymore. Just a funny discussion piece. Speaking of funny, I just remembered who cooked that "breast enlarged" chicken in the pic you posted: Thirdeye
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    put the grid on the fire ring, put stone on grid, put beer can set-up on stone.....hang the bird over the stone as needed to intensify the cooking temp on that part of the bird.....=> dark meat out.......

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • That bird looks awesome R2!
  • I like both, but my preference is also the spatchcocked chicken. They are just as juicy, if not juicier and I find they take about 20 min. less to cook. If you are cooking for a crowd and need to do a bunch at a time, beer can might give you more room to cook. I have an XL, so that isn't really an issue. I have done 3 spatchcocked chickens at once on the XL.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Did a few spatchcock chickens and never looked back. Nice and juicy and crisp skin both top and bottom.
    LBGE
  • Try them skinless. More rub gets on the meat. They are awesome!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Try them skinless. More rub gets on the meat. They are awesome!

Likewise, you can apply rub under the skin in addition to the outside. Real easy to do just stick your fingers in there.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47