Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wicked Good Has Huge Pieces

dlk7
dlk7 Posts: 1,053
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Opened up a new bag of Wicked Good yesterday and this piece was on top.  There were another dozen piecs softball sized.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    In the lump world sometimes it can "be too big" but you can always alter the size with a good hammer.  The reverse doesn't work-I am a big fan of WGWW for low&slows.  Just wish it wasn't quite so $$$.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    My fav lump by far. Love it.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    My first bag was the same. Some of it was too big. Second bag this weekend was very disappointing. A few fist sized chunks and the rest just broken to small pieces.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    My first bag was the same. Some of it was too big. Second bag this weekend was very disappointing. A few fist sized chunks and the rest just broken to small pieces.
    Small pieces should not be a disappointment. If your egg is properly cleaned you shouldn't have any problems. You may notice a little slower start. In my experience smaller pieces seem to allow the fire to burn even, and have that clean smell quicker than the logs. Just my .02 FWIW.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I agree with brownie. Smaller pieces make for a uniform fire.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I agree with brownie. Smaller pieces make for a uniform fire.
    Me too. I get those bags of best of the west that has football sized pieces n them. I hit them with a pick axe to break them up. Huge pieces are not great for uniform fires

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    I used to only use Royal Oak in the Green Bag.  I switched to WGWW and find it is much bigger chunks, burns longer and the cost per cook isn't much different despite the price.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I drank the forum kool-aid and picked up my first 2 bags of WGWW today. I'm curious to see if it's worth the extra over the Wal-Mart RO.
    XL BGE
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    a single 20 pound chunk would make for a poor fire.  and twenty one-pound chunks would be undesirable too.  you need small to medium pieces for bridging, and allowing the fire to travel by contact.

a few decent sized chunks are good for placing on the fire grate to permit max inflow of the air, but if you have nuthin but big stuff, yer gonna have a weird fire
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • unit26
    unit26 Posts: 53
    Where do you purchase WGWW?
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    It still burned well. I am not sure it is worth the premium price though. Wicked Good is $1.14/lb. I can get Wegmans Grocery brand for $0.60/lb. I went to Dizzy Pig to get rub and wound up getting rubs,chips,chunks,sauce,and WG lump. Good thing I ran out of money
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    I bought 3 bags WG and got a discount worked out at 77 cents a pound
    Lynnwood WA