Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

J. Mueller's BBQ Austin TX- WOW!

Options
The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
The fabulous Janell and I were looking for a little Austin fun today so we decided to go to Franklin's BBQ. Well, we didn't get out until almost 1pm which means Franklin was going to be out of brisket. They don't answer the phone when they are slammed and they weren't answering it today. Instead of taking a flyer on Franklin's with a late start, We called J. Mueller's and they said they had plenty of brisket and to come on down......so we did. I can tell you I have never had better brisket in my life. Franklin's was probably as good, but I can't say it was better. These 2 places have got to be 1 and 1A in the pecking order in this state, and probably the world as far as BBQ brisket is concerned. John Mueller taught Aaron (Franklin) everything he knows and I feel lucky having them both here in town. John was there as usual and running the pit and smart-assing customers. He is a riot (although has gotten some bad yelp reviews for his attitude- these people had thin skin, he's funny). He had a negative yelp review taped to the side of his trailer (pic below- funny stuff)

I can tell you honestly to skip Lockhart TX and come to Austin if you want the best BBQ anywhere. Between Franklin, J. Mueller's and the Salt Lick, Austin is officially mecca for Brisket (and just about every other kind of BBQ in my book).

Was going to do a brisket tonight but I bought 2lbs to go and decided to do a shoulder at home instead. Centex needs a meat nap.

imageimageimageimageimage
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm headed to San Antonio next Friday - my brother wanted to run up to Austin and check out Franklyn's.  Mueller gives us a good option, as my brother likes to sleep late - I was afraid we'd make the trip for nothing.  Thanks for the excellent report!
    I'm headed to San Antonio next Friday - my brother wanted to run up to Austin and check out Franklyn's.  Mueller gives us a good option, as my brother likes to sleep late - I was afraid we'd make the trip for nothing.  Thanks for the excellent report!
    It's really close. There are some things I like about Franklin's better (they have 4 sauces that are all awesome, Mueller's has one that I like but TFJ does not as much). You can actually eat inside at Franklin, although I have no problem eating BBQ on a picnic table in a parking lot. You can't go wrong either way. Franklin has so much hype right now that if you are not there an hour before they open on a Saturday (they open at 11) you can forget it. Mueller was very busy at 2 pm but they were out of Ribs, beef ribs, short ribs,  and a few other things. They had plenty of brisket though which is why we were there. they have great sausage too in the style of Lockhart (it's 100% beef sausage). get there as early as you can but even if they just have brisket, go for it. AMAZING

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm 100% there for the brisket.  I'm going to have to look for alternatives if they're out, or I'll be eating at Bill Miller's.
    I'm 100% there for the brisket.  I'm going to have to look for alternatives if they're out, or I'll be eating at Bill Miller's.
    Noooooooo! I would go to Rudy's for utility brisket. I can't believe Bill Miller's is still hanging on. 

You can call him (his number is on the sign pic above) and tell him when you will be there and ask if they will still have brisket. They are good about letting you know on the phone
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The crazy part is, i'm like 95% sure there was only salt and pepper on this brisket. Lot's of big chunks of black pepper. Whatever it was, it was awesome. They also keep a big chunk of brisket at the order window and give everyone a piece as they step up to order. They are like crack dealers

• easttexasaggie04
    Options
    I've heard that Salt Lick is very over rated.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've heard that Salt Lick is very over rated.
    For brisket they are for sure. But for sausage, chicken, and ribs they are awesome. I won't even order their brisket. Plus it's such a cool place that it's hard not to love. It's in the middle of nowhere and it's BYOB. It's $20 all you can eat as well so it's a good time as much as anything

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, that's what I'm sayin'.  Bill Miller's is a place of last resort for BBQ. 

When I was a po' college kid back in the mid 80s, Bill Miller's $0.59 chopped BBQ beef sammich was a staple.  Bought it more often with change, because that's what I'd be down to.  Long gone are the good ol' days of $300/semester tuition.
    Options
    Any relationship between JMueller and Mueller's in Taylor? There's several good interviews in the last 3 days from the one in Taylor at the "Eater" web site. Maybe mueller is the magic word to speak over great beef 'Q.
  • easttexasaggie04
    Options
    Bill Millers is horrible.  horrible.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    You can always hit up Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo. They have great brisket!!

We usually hit up Texas Pride in Adkins, but I like their bb ribs better than their brisket.

Also, I've heard Bucket Brigade BBQ is good. It's on my list to try.

Don't step foot into Bill Miller's. I live in San Antonio and I'll be watching. X_X
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Any relationship between JMueller and Mueller's in Taylor? There's several good interviews in the last 3 days from the one in Taylor at the "Eater" web site. Maybe mueller is the magic word to speak over great beef 'Q.
    Yeah, John Mueller is Louie Mueller's son. Same family, but John's is WAY better than Louie's if you ask me. Louie's is always top 3 or 4 in the state but I've never understood it. lots of people love it though. I can tell you that Franklin's and J. Mueller's are as good as any I've ever had anywhere.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You can always hit up Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo. They have great brisket!! We usually hit up Texas Pride in Adkins, but I like their bb ribs better than their brisket. Also, I've heard Bucket Brigade BBQ is good. It's on my list to try. Don't step foot into Bill Miller's. I live in San Antonio and I'll be watching. X_X
    Ha! my bro-in law got food poisoning at Bill Miller's BBQ in 1986 and I haven't darkened the door since
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Options
    Texas Pride in SAT is my favorite bbq joint. Def worth the trip.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can always hit up Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo. They have great brisket!! We usually hit up Texas Pride in Adkins, but I like their bb ribs better than their brisket. Also, I've heard Bucket Brigade BBQ is good. It's on my list to try. Don't step foot into Bill Miller's. I live in San Antonio and I'll be watching. X_X
    Cibilo is about 5 miles from where I'll be staying, right off O'Conner road.  I'll definitely try Harmon's brisket.  Thanks cazzy.  PS - Vikings?  You a MN transplant?  My home office is in Minneapolis.
    boy do i miss TX BBQ
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    boy do i miss TX BBQ
    I moved away for 6 years and never got over it. it's the whole reason I learned to really BBQ. I couldn't get it anywhere else. Although after today, it's obvious I still have a long way to go with brisket to be anywhere near the kings!

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    cazzy said:

You can always hit up Harmon's BBQ in Cibilo. They have great brisket!!

We usually hit up Texas Pride in Adkins, but I like their bb ribs better than their brisket.

Also, I've heard Bucket Brigade BBQ is good. It's on my list to try.

Don't step foot into Bill Miller's. I live in San Antonio and I'll be watching. X_X

Cibilo is about 5 miles from where I'll be staying, right off O'Conner road.  I'll definitely try Harmon's brisket.  Thanks cazzy.  PS - Vikings?  You a MN transplant?  My home office is in Minneapolis.
    Born In michigan but have been a Vikings fan for as long as I could remember. Outside of Barry, didn't really have much love for the lions.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    One of the things I noticed about the brisket is that the smoke ring, although evident, is not overly pronounced. It was crazy good and smoky but a pretty "pedestrian" (for Stike) smoke ring. Just goes to show that food for show and competition is way different than great food sold for retail consumption. If BBQ judges saw this, they would mark it down for appearance but this would most likely crush any brisket in any competition on taste alone. No injection, wrapping, spraying....just smoke, salt and pepper as far as I can tell.
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    Noted!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Looks awesome.  I will add Mueller's to the list.  (My list is getting longer and longer!)  We were planning to try Chisholm Trail in Lockhart this weekend on the way to coast - just to be complete and try all BBQ spots there - but the line was too long when we were heading down and on the way back.  So something good must be going on there.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks awesome.  I will add Mueller's to the list.  (My list is getting longer and longer!)  We were planning to try Chisholm Trail in Lockhart this weekend on the way to coast - just to be complete and try all BBQ spots there - but the line was too long when we were heading down and on the way back.  So something good must be going on there.  
    Noted. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Chisholm often has a long line, especially on Sundays.

Salt Lick brisket is way, way over rated.

I'll be driving through Lockhart this Thursday....think I'm gonna keep on going and stop in Luling instead this time. ;)  Can't wait to get to the ranch, even if its only one day before hading down to Corpitos (Corpus Christi for the rest of you folks)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Chisholm often has a long line, especially on Sundays.

Salt Lick brisket is way, way over rated.

I'll be driving through Lockhart this Thursday....think I'm gonna keep on going and stop in Luling instead this time. ;)  Can't wait to get to the ranch, even if its only one day before hading down to Corpitos (Corpus Christi for the rest of you folks)

I'll be in port A Sat-Thursday

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Wish I was going to be there longer and maybe we could hook up. Got a wedding Saturday night and then its badk to Big D on Sunday.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    Been wanting to try Franklins. No excuse not to since I live in Round Rock, but damn I hate lines. There are lots of good bbq places in Austin I don't have to stand in a long line for to buy.. Will certainly try J Mueller's, thanks for the heads up.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Been wanting to try Franklins. No excuse not to since I live in Round Rock, but damn I hate lines. There are lots of good bbq places in Austin I don't have to stand in a long line for to buy.. Will certainly try J Mueller's, thanks for the heads up.

Franklin's is special. I hate lines too which is why I've only been once. I haven't stopped talking about it since though. Well worth it