Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dealer told me the eggs are not sold with ceramic feet any longer? Is that true?

2»

Comments

• Mine came with the feet.  I dont use them but most say to use them under your drip pan or pizza stone to keep them from burning.
  • the aluminum balls won't do much to support the egg, if that's how they are using them.
    :))
    heh... true!!  seems there are 2 reasons folks use the feet - to sit the Egg on, and to use as spacers to create an air gap inside the Egg. 

I saw Griffin's post w/ the pic of the clay thingies & thought that's what folks were talking about...
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

I did find another dealer in my area that have ceramic feet. However, I got quoted a price tag of $18.99 for the feet if I want to buy it. Still thinking through whether I want to buy it or not.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Depends on how much you crush them
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I was talking about resting a pizza stone, drip pan, casserole dish, etc on those.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i was assuming the OP wanted to use the feet as feet
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bbqlearner
    Yes feet as feet. Never thought it could be used for another use but I guess I'm learning something new every day   :-B

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    I wonder how long it will be before we start hearing stories about eggs falling through tables after the bottoms have burnt out of them. I believe you need that air space even when using paver stones. I think it was a dumb move on BGE headquarters.
  • Onegrecook
    Onegrecook Posts: 121
    No feet with my large a few weeks ago. I ordered some generic feet from Fred's.
  • Griffin
    I wonder how long it will be before we start hearing stories about eggs falling through tables after the bottoms have burnt out of them. I believe you need that air space even when using paver stones. I think it was a dumb move on BGE headquarters.

BGE still wants you to leave that airspace under the Egg, but instead of giving away the ceramic feet for free, they want to sell you a metal TABLE nest. This was on the other forum, a guy named HogSmoke. I think they are going to sell them for around $28.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin

Another picimage

Rowlett, Texas

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited August 2012
    i think that is the real reason. maybe the clearance is higher, and they are discontinuing the ceramic feet because if someone used the feet without a paver, it would be too close to the wood.

so the table nest raises it to the height where any directly exposed wood is better protected

but here's the rub.
    there are dealers who don't know what the feet are to begin with, or what a ceramic cap is for, or what the story is with gaskets.

so how in the heck does BGE think they are going to be able to STOP shipping the feet while simultaneously educating their dealers to "oh yeah, sell them a table nest because we no longer ship feet"?

i see the potential for people buying an egg, receiving no feet, and never knowing/hearing about the new table nest.  and they'll set the BGE directly on a paver (not enough protection) or worse, even directly on the wood.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited August 2012
    but here's the rub.
    there are dealers who don't know what the feet are to begin with, or what a ceramic cap is for, or what the story is with gaskets.

so how in the heck does BGE think they are going to be able to STOP shipping the feet while simultaneously educating their dealers to "oh yeah, sell them a table nest because we no longer ship feet"?

i see the potential for people buying an egg, receiving no feet, and never knowing/hearing about the new table nest.  and they'll set the BGE directly on a paver (not enough protection) or worse, even directly on the wood.
    In my opinion, BGE Corp should have better standards as to *who* is a dealer, and their level of knowledge.  Otherwise, their reputation will suffer. 

When I 1st started doing my "research" into getting a better grill, I looked at all the brands & eventually settled on the BGE because of its reputation & warranty. 

However, where I made my mistake was that I then tried to find the lowest price.  I eventually found a "dealer" (and I use that term lightly) who guaranteed the lowest prices, and he was correct.  However, w/out going into details here, his customer service, quite frankly, SUCKS.  I should've known not to trust an Egg dealer who also sells outdoor sporting equipment (lacrosse, inline skates, etc). 

From then on, I've taken my business of buying Egg-cessories, rubs, etc to other, better, more reputable dealers.

Anyway, my point is that I agree - if BGE doesn't start getting a better handle on some of these rogue / ignorant / shady dealers, the reputation of the company as a whole will suffer. 

An Egg dealer should be an EGG-spert on the Egg - and know all the Egg-cessories, tricks, tips, do's/don'ts, etc...

Heck, the dealer I WISH I would've bought my original Egg from - all he does is sell Eggs, and he also uses them exclusively as a competitive BBQ'er.... now THAT'S in-depth knowledge!!

Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Fwiw... I just moved my XL it was on a 16 x 16 paver on My painted deck since March. I went to move the paver and it was stuck to the deck! I had to pry it up with a crowbar. And I haven't done many high heats mostly 400 Ish. So what I am getting at is be carefully just having a paver on your deck.
    Lynnwood WA
  • bbqlearner
    but here's the rub.

In my opinion, BGE Corp should have better standards as to *who* is a dealer, and their level of knowledge.  Otherwise, their reputation will suffer. 

When I 1st started doing my "research" into getting a better grill, I looked at all the brands & eventually settled on the BGE because of its reputation & warranty. 

However, where I made my mistake was that I then tried to find the lowest price.  I eventually found a "dealer" (and I use that term lightly) who guaranteed the lowest prices, and he was correct.  However, w/out going into details here, his customer service, quite frankly, SUCKS.  I should've known not to trust an Egg dealer who also sells outdoor sporting equipment (lacrosse, inline skates, etc). 

From then on, I've taken my business of buying Egg-cessories, rubs, etc to other, better, more reputable dealers.

Anyway, my point is that I agree - if BGE doesn't start getting a better handle on some of these rogue / ignorant / shady dealers, the reputation of the company as a whole will suffer. 

An Egg dealer should be an EGG-spert on the Egg - and know all the Egg-cessories, tricks, tips, do's/don'ts, etc...

Heck, the dealer I WISH I would've bought my original Egg from - all he does is sell Eggs, and he also uses them exclusively as a competitive BBQ'er.... now THAT'S in-depth knowledge!!

+1 - this is the same experience I had. The dealer that I bought my egg from didn't tell me about the metal table nest. They even argued with me about the fact that the BGE should be safe to put directly on a paver (without feet and without air space between it) and it's been proven to work because of all the pics in the BGE magazine  

I told them about the many experiences and griefs about burnt deck and table that the eggheads posted in this forum but they didn't seem to believe me so I figured it out quickly how limited their knowledge is about the products they are selling.

• tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    I got my Egg in Jan. of 2012 and it did not come with feet.
  • I wrote the company and they also said they are no longer supplied.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Here is what I use. 

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    edited August 2012
    But my medium in May. Came with feet. He's a high volume dealer so if it's "old inventory" it's because the distributor has old inventory and not the dealer.
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    where can i get a stand for my xl for my table?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    XLBalco said:

where can i get a stand for my xl for my table?

Commision a blacksmith.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.