Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopen Design Flaw

Options
JeffM
JeffM Posts: 103
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just opened and used my thermopen for the first time today and it works good and quick.  But I realized immediately that it was designed for right handers with the display visible on the left side of the handle.  This is awkward for lefties such as myself in that you have to place the probe at an odd angle to see the temp or it will be facing away from you. I will have to practice my right hand insertion technique.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I have the same problem. I use a reverse ice pick grip and stab my target like a serial killer. When used in this fashion, the thermapen is lefty friendly.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    Options
    yeah...I wouldn't call it a design flaw as it only affects about 10% of the population.  I know naturally its custom for you to instinctively use your left hand, but the act itself doesn't require surgeon precision...so I envision you adapting very easily.  

Good luck and godspeed in your next meat probing adventure!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I have the same problem. I use a reverse ice pick grip and stab my target like a serial killer. When used in this fashion, the thermapen is lefty friendly.

=))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Unfold that lucky stabbin' probe 180 degrees and it has bilateral symmetry.  You can read either way.
    Options
    I am left handed too, but can use both hands with pretty good accuracy. I did the ice stab too, and also have held it an an odd angle. I love my thermapen, it is quick!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...And it comes with NIST traceable calibration!
    Options
    Same issue here, and as it looks, same resolution!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    From Thermoworks.com  FAQ

8. Why don't you have a left-handed Thermapen?
    LeftyInteresting question. My wife Suzette is left-handed and she's always thought the opposite. She prefers to use her dominant hand to wield the roasting pan, grasp the food with tongs, stir, or whatever else she's doing in combination with the one-handed temperature measurement. Thus, in her opinion, it's best to hold the Thermapen in her right hand while she uses her dominant hand for the other tasks. Larger Image

Don't buy that? While the Thermapen isn't quite as ambidextrously switchable as a screwdriver or a hammer, it's pretty close. It can easily be gripped in a number of ways. I hold my Thermapen in both my left hand and right hand depending on what I'm doing. Still I empathize with anybody who's left-handed and wishes the Thermapen were reversed. So, if our engineers can ever figure out a no-cost way to do that in the next Thermapen, we'll consider doing it.

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    BTW. Have you seen what color Thermapen they are demonstrating with? You guessed it!
  • twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    Options
    I am predominately right handed, but am confident in my ability to insert my stabbin' probe with either hand if need be.  ;)
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
    Nice technique!  They teach you that one in AIT ?
    :))
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Nice technique!  They teach you that one in AIT ?
    :))
    Trial and error. You just have to stab enough stuff. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Outcast
    Outcast Posts: 112
    Options
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Is this a real problem?
    Eggo in N. MS
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If you have a drink in one hand (which you should at all times while standing at or around your BGE) and a thermapen in the other, which goes in your dominant hand?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    when it comes to alcohol, i am ambidextrious!
    If you have a drink in one hand (which you should at all times while standing at or around your BGE) and a thermapen in the other, which goes in your dominant hand?

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    when it comes to alcohol, i am ambidextrious!

Now that you mention it, even the jobs I consider the hardest, or most requiring dexterity and multitasking...I can still manage to add a beer and do fine.  Now add a glass of water and thats just plain asking for trouble :)
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options

=))
    +2 =))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts