Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spicy Grilled Shrimp

AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in Seafood

Ingredients

• 1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for a handle, butterflied • 2 Clove Garlic, minced • 1 Tsp Kosher salt • 1 tsp Paprika • ½ tsp Cayenne pepper • 2 tsp Lemon juice • 2 Tbs Olive oil

Instructions

• These shrimp are really killer. The recipe comes from a Mark Bittman cook book, and about the only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from Sam's club. Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal (easier). Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive oil. Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now. Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tell when they are done, don't overcook! Let them rest for a few minutes and enjoy. -RP

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    edited July 2012

Going to see how killer these are today .... just got the marinade made and shrimp are in the fridge for the next 2 to 3 hrs. MIne are only 31/40 count .. price was right!

Going on skewers ... don't want to lose any!

Gorgeous day here in S W Ontario

:D
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817

Squeezy,

Try picking up a jar of Alessia La Bomba and marinate the shrimp in it for half an hour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    edited July 2012

I just looked it up ... have never seen it anywhere ... who carries it?

• Little Steven
    Loblaws chain. Longos any Italian market. I was in the Stock all last week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    We only have Zehrs here, no Loblaws or Longo ... small city!
  • Little Steven
    Zehrs is part of the Loblaw chain. They should have it in the pickle aisle

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    I will look for it ... thanks for the tip!
  • Little Steven

Lemme know if you can't find it. I go to Woodstock regularly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    edited July 2012

OK ... I will ... perhaps we could meet for a beer sometime if you're nearby sometime?

Where do you live?

• Little Steven
    Caledon, near Orangeville. I work in Woodstock sometimes. I was there all last week

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    I won't be working until fall ... so let me know if you want to meet one day ... my time is quite flexible ;)
  • Squeezy
    I doubled the cayenne ... that worked!image
  • Squeezy
    I found the Alessia La Bomba in Zehrs today ... $8.99 for a small jar ... hmmm ... not so sure I want to use it as a marinade for shrimp though. I cannot see much of it staying on the shrimp as it is kinda chunky.
  • This is so good .....I will make this again many times
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Here is a variation that I've had a lot of success with:

Fiery Shrimp Diablo

INGREDIENTS

• 2 pounds of jumbo peeled, deveined shrimp
    • 1/4 cup lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Place the shrimp in a gallon freezer bag. Whisk the remaining ingredients together, then pour into the bag with the shrimp, and marinate for 30 minutes.

Grill over medium heat until they are just done...no more if you can help it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Here is a variation that I've had a lot of success with:

Fiery Shrimp Diablo

INGREDIENTS

• 2 pounds of jumbo peeled, deveined shrimp
    • 1/4 cup lime juice
    • 1 tablespoon chili powder
    • 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (or to taste)
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 2 teaspoons salt
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Place the shrimp in a gallon freezer bag. Whisk the remaining ingredients together, then pour into the bag with the shrimp, and marinate for 30 minutes.

Grill over medium heat until they are just done...no more if you can help it.

No garlic? WTF?! :))
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Hey Since a couple of you guys are Canadian, maybe you can answer a question that arose for me today. Was having a discussion with my colleagues over breakfast and we were eating what we call "Canadian Bacon".

So what do they call what we refer to as regular bacon (the long stuff) in Canada? Is it "American Bacon" or just "Bacon", and if so, what do you call "Canadian Bacon"? "Bacon"? I'm so confused!!! Sorry off topic but I need to know this
    :@)
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    "Bacon" for the run-of-the-mill bacon; "Peameal Bacon" for the good stuff (google it)
    :))
    canuckland
  • Squeezy

An individual piece of bacon is a slice or strip. In Canada:

• The term bacon on its own or, more specifically, side bacon[ typically refers to bacon from the pork belly.
    • Back bacon refers to either smoked or unsmoked bacon cut from the boneless eye of pork loin.[Called Canadian bacon in the United States.
    • Peameal bacon is back bacon, brined and coated in fine cornmeal (historically, it was rolled in a meal made from ground dried peas
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Interesting about the term Canadian bacon. In the 70's while working in Chicago, McDonalds started with the egg McMuffin, advertised it as Canadian bacon. Everyone in the office asked us Canucks what it was. None of us had ever heard of it, bacon is bacon. After seeing it, we recognized it as back bacon or gammon if your old english. The peameal stuff was a regular event in our house growing up. 

Ya gotta love marketing.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bjadams
    bjadams Posts: 28
    I tried this recipe tonight and really liked it although I found it over salted. Then I realized that I used sea salt not having Kosher salt and I think that can make a difference. Anyway, when I try it again I'll use half that Tablespoon of salt in the marinade.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

AZRP said:

Ingredients

• 1 lb 15 ct shrimp, peeled to the last section leaving the tail for a handle, butterflied • 2 Clove Garlic, minced • 1 Tsp Kosher salt • 1 tsp Paprika • ½ tsp Cayenne pepper • 2 tsp Lemon juice • 2 Tbs Olive oil

Instructions

• These shrimp are really killer. The recipe comes from a Mark Bittman cook book, and about the only thing you can do wrong with it is to over cook the shrimp, or try to use ones that are too small and they fall through the grid. I use the frozen U-15 ones from Sam's club. Take 1 Tbs of kosher salt and 2 garlic cloves(minced) and mash them into a paste with the side of your knife or a mortar and pestal (easier). Add to that paste 1 tsp paprika, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 2 Tbs olive oil. Thaw and peel the shrimp, all but the tail section, for a handle. Butterfly them by cutting down the back halfway through the shrimp. If they have a vein remove it now. Mix the shrimp with the marinade then grill direct. Go about 2 minutes on the first side at about 400 dome, when they start to curl up, flip them and watch until they curl fairly tight and remove immediately. Some of them won't curl tight but you can pretty much tell when they are done, don't overcook! Let them rest for a few minutes and enjoy. -RP

Notes

Number of Servings:

Time to Prepare:

• My Wife and I had these and were very impressed! I like spicy foods and she does also but she found them a tad too spicy i believe using exact ingredients i found them just right! First time i have ever grilled or cooked shrimp. i lost two men through the cooking grate though RIP lol. 
  • Hi guys! This is Mrs. NautiRogue and I am wondering why you couldn't butterfly the shrimp and then grill them indirectly. If we skewer them instead of grilling them, butterflied, over direct heat, will that affect the cook time? We have never tried shrimp on the BGE and I'm looking forward to trying this recipe with some green rice!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Great recipe! Thanks. Love garlic and spicy flavors, so I have to try this.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.