Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remember kids, always burp your Eggs...

Options
dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
So, I thought something was up with my Egg.  I havent been able to hit high temps and maxed out at like 450-500.  Yesterday, I took all the internal pieces out, removed the old lump, shop vac'ed all of the ash out and blew out the air holes.  Put everything back together and didnt really try to hit any high temps.
Today I lit the egg and went to help the wife wash her car real quick.  Came back in like 15-20 minutes to the temp gauge all the way over to 200 (is that 1000 degrees???).  I opened the egg fairly slowly but still obviously too quickly and I felt a rush of hot air go inward.  Woosh!!  Bye bye arm hair.
I guess it takes seeing one backdraft up close to teach you to open that thing slowly.  I have learned my lesson!

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So, I thought something was up with my Egg.  I havent been able to hit high temps and maxed out at like 450-500.  Yesterday, I took all the internal pieces out, removed the old lump, shop vac'ed all of the ash out and blew out the air holes.  Put everything back together and didnt really try to hit any high temps.
    Today I lit the egg and went to help the wife wash her car real quick.  Came back in like 15-20 minutes to the temp gauge all the way over to 200 (is that 1000 degrees???).  I opened the egg fairly slowly but still obviously too quickly and I felt a rush of hot air go inward.  Woosh!!  Bye bye arm hair.
    I guess it takes seeing one backdraft up close to teach you to open that thing slowly.  I have learned my lesson!

Well....you usually only do it once!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    I have learned to respect the power of the Egg.  Looks like I fixed my temp problem.  :)
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Unfortunately, I skipped over the safety section of the manual and was engulfed by a small ball of fire....
    Options

Well....you usually only do it once!
    If only that were true.......

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• redsrage
    redsrage Posts: 16
    Options

I too singed my hair with a fireball in front of guests!  It was rather frightening.  I learned my lesson too.

I have gotten the egg to 1200 degrees thinking it was only at 200....another fireball hit me!  Another lesson learned!

• dweebs0r
    Options
    I'm just glad I didnt toast the gasket.  The gasket had a little burn to the back side of it but nothing terrible and it still holds smoke in without problems.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I think once temp wraps around it becomes less accurate.
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    'nuff said .... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    I have been lucky, and only the huby has been a victim.. I am always burping th egg, just to always be in the habit so that I will be very safe!!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

=)) Great pic
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    NewEnglandEgger I just LOL'd so much.  Great photo.  

LizzieSamps Way to throw the hubby under the bus.  Haha.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    He has been singed 2X
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    He has been singed 2X

You definitely need to upgrade your training program-or get him his own BGE, then it's all on him!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

If only it took one time, if only. I'd place bets that it happens again. Trust me, I thought I knew better. A few drinks, some music, distraction of a friends.....it'll happen again. And again. Maybe not that bad, but it will. I did it again last month, but had a quicker response. That's ok, I don't like hair on my knuckles anyway.
    =))

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Options

=)) Great pic
    Been there, done that ;-}
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    My arm last week Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Must of smelt good too huh? We all have done it at least once.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Hairless_Hand
    Options
    This is how I got my screen name.  Keep the pics coming, they crack me up.
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    Nice.  Feels good to know I'm not the only one doing this stuff.
  • Eric41
    Eric41 Posts: 3
    Options
    Have my egg for 3 weeks now.  Yesterday morning I started it up early to do a Boston Butt.  I must have still been partially asleep as I opened it without burping it while heating it up.  Poof!  No more arm hair on the lower half of my arm.  The smell was not pretty
  • timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    I also found out not to open the egg quickly when the vents have been closed.  I was going to throw something on for a quick warmup.  Can you say "backdraft"!
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    For me it was both arm hair and head hair, similar look as @newenglandegger. I had shut the egg and forgot, 60 seconds later I opened it and whoosh. No pics, but hopefully lesson learned.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA