Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let me see your tools

Comments

• hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Hey guys,

New here.  Awesome forum so far.  I've got a Large BGE on order which should be here in a couple of days.  I've got my plans drawn out for a pretty nice cedar table which I plan on starting to build within the week.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of tools I want to buy.  I tried searching but couldn't find anything related to the subject.  What kind of tools to you guys use for your egg?  Pics are always fun, so post some up. 

Besides food and charcoal, what do you guys consider as necessities for your BGE?  I bought a platesetter, but took it back because I think I'm going with an AR instead.  Thoughts?
    Where did you buy it in Austin that didn't have a large in stock?  I thought all 3 places that sell them here keep larges ready to go.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    Hap, because of you I was just telling the hubs tonight that we need to get very big steaks custom cut from now on.
  • Hey guys,

New here.  Awesome forum so far.  I've got a Large BGE on order which should be here in a couple of days.  I've got my plans drawn out for a pretty nice cedar table which I plan on starting to build within the week.  I'm trying to figure out what kind of tools I want to buy.  I tried searching but couldn't find anything related to the subject.  What kind of tools to you guys use for your egg?  Pics are always fun, so post some up. 

Besides food and charcoal, what do you guys consider as necessities for your BGE?  I bought a platesetter, but took it back because I think I'm going with an AR instead.  Thoughts?
    Where did you buy it in Austin that didn't have a large in stock?  I thought all 3 places that sell them here keep larges ready to go.
    could be his (or her) name, not home town???/

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Wicked - The guy who makes the wiggle rods makes a cast iron grate lifter.  I have one and it works great.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • WickedIsland
    Wiggle rod you say... Do tell
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Wiggle rod you say... Do tell

Get a High Que fire grate and you don't need wiggle rod.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wiggle rod = fire resistant poker
    The two toolson the right were wiggle rods till I put High Que's in my Minis and Large. After that I turned the tools into ash rakes for the Mini and one for the Large. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

LOL.  Can't believe I don't have a pic of the Looftlighter.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• WickedIsland
    Ah... Mickey U! Where should I send my tuition check? O, sorry, can't afford tuition , I just baught an egg. Seriously, I appreciate the education
  • AustinL911
    AustinL911 Posts: 13

hoffmand said:

Hey guys,

It is my first name.
  • Hey guys,

It is my first name.
    Well....as you can see above, make a list and get your checkbook out. This crew is pretty good at spending OPM (other people's money). We haven't even gotten into knives, Sonos speakers, knife sharpeners, Sous Vide Equipment, tables, and a host of other things. Welcome aboard

• WickedIsland
    Just checked out the High Que fire grate that Mickey noted and I will get one ASAP. BGE should make these a stock item
  • Just checked out the High Que fire grate that Mickey noted and I will get one ASAP. BGE should make these a stock item

Sadly, the offcial line is that they void your warranty so I don't expect them to make it stock equip any time soon
  • WickedIsland
    Well I wouldn't want to do that
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Austin . . . . That dog face post in response to the sarcastic "bust your balls" responses you received had me laughing out loud, and I never laugh of loud. most posters struggle with pics early on, but you nailed it for 5th post, funny.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Austin . . . . That dog face post in response to the sarcastic "bust your balls" responses you received had me laughing out loud, and I never laugh of loud. most posters struggle with pics early on, but you nailed it for 5th post, funny.

me too. Well played. I stole the pic.
  • Well I wouldn't want to do that

I'm not sure how serious they are about it but they do list aftermarket grates as an issue
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yeah, same legal boilerplate as usual....just like if you upgrade the memory in your Mac Book Pro, you void the warranty, even if the screen fails, which has nothing to do with the memory.  If they don't ask, don't tell.  You, as the consumer, are under no obligation to mention that.  
    Late to the party again as usual. Seems like most things have been mentioned. Don't forget a wok (Doc had a picture, but didn't mention it). And we nobody's mentioned cast iron yet. Skillets, dtuch ovens, griddles and the list goes on..... 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    hmmmm....no pics of the pile...but lets see
    Adjustable rig, 3 levels, 2 oval grids, spider and 13" stone
    IQUE110
    Electric lighter
    Weed Burner
    high cuff welding gloves
    plate setter
    BGE grate extender(not as bad as everyone says)
    Dutch oven
    Thermapen
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    This is one of my top tools while egging. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Get a Adjustable rig and a woo2 combo, don't waste your money on a plate setter.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    This is one of my top tools while egging. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Does that thing really work? I've thought about buying one, but I was skeptical.
    XL BGE
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    It will shock and kill whatever bug you get. Sometimes they stick and sometimes they don't. I have not been drunk enough to touch it myself but have debated it many times. It is more of a grown up toy that entertains me. I'll be getting one of these when it's comes to market. http://bugasalt.com/
  • It will shock and kill whatever bug you get. Sometimes they stick and sometimes they don't. I have not been drunk enough to touch it myself but have debated it many times. It is more of a grown up toy that entertains me. I'll be getting one of these when it's comes to market. http://bugasalt.com/
    They are awesome. We use one as well. It's like a bug zapper in your hand (and my dog loves crispy cooked flies :)). We get that thing out and he won't leave your side!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Ha, hold it over the compost bucket you forgot to empty two days ago to see some real fireworks.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I can't live without my spider and wok
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Reflib
    Reflib Posts: 16
    Get a Adjustable rig and a woo2 combo, don't waste your money on a plate setter.
    Right on! Forget the plate setter (heavy, awkward to store, $$) and go with 3 or 4 fire bricks. All you really need. Put the money saved into a good thermometer.
    Right here is the Promised Land. Right now is the Golden Age.
  • Zaltydog
    Zaltydog Posts: 106
    Tongs I got from Cabela's a year ago.  These things will lift a ton!