Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Arepas

SmoothSmoke
SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I decided to go out of the ordinary with my pulled pork sandwiches today. Instead of buns, I went with making Arepas. Arepas are from South America, mainly Colombia and Venezuela. They are made out of corn meal. I'm so glad I made these as I always wondered how they would taste in a BBQ application. And they were goooooood. Oh and it was my first smoke on the lil medium BGE. Lil bugger chugged along perfect all day.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    That looks so good I can almost taste it.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• smoke- thanks so much for posting this cook. I love seeing new ideas and people stretching beyond the traditional brisket/butts/ribs/chicken. I'm guilty of all of the above but love to see it when people get outside the box a little. Looks great and nice work
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Wow! Looks fantastic! Just corn meal and water? How would fresh masa work? I may have to do this tomorrow with some leftovers.
    XL BGE
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Looks, good!  Always fun to go outside the box!
  • SmoothSmoke
    Thanks everyone!   The arepa works perfect with pulled pork.  Since the arepa itself is like a neutral flavor.  It was crispy crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

Chuff, you want to make sure you use the PAN brand of cornmeal.  Most other brands wont work, although labeled cornmeal, it's just different.  You want to make it while the pork is resting, because it can become stale if left out too long. 

Put the cornmeal in the bowl.
    Add some salt
    Add hot water (not boiling though) enough water so you can work with it and so it wont crumble apart if too dry.
    Work the water in and make some balls as pictured.
    Flatten the balls out
    Fry em in your favorite oil. Not too hot because these are thick and you want the inside to cook well.
    Once done, slice, remove a bit in the middle so you can make a pocket and stuff!!!
  • chuff
    edited July 2012
    So real fresh masa should work, yes? I can get it here locally ground fresh from nixtamal daily at a couple of the local Mexican market / tortillarias. I don't think I've ever seen that brand of cornmeal.
    XL BGE
  • SmoothSmoke
    It's not the same stuff.  This stuff is from South America, not the same masa that is used to make tortillas.  I dont think it will work.  Actually, it may work, but the flavor will be totally different.  If it's fresh, I'm sure their are some added steps, and I'm not sure what those are. 

Look for the PAN brand in the section where they sell Goya brand foods.  Goya usually has it's own little section in each market.  As it tailors more to Caribbean and South American foods. 

Come to think of it, if you use the masa that is for empanadas, it should taste great as well!!  If you cant find the PAN brand, for sure get the empanada mix!!   You gave me an idea for my next pulled pork adventure! 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Great sparked an idea for my pulled pork I will do it stuffed in Vetkoek a traditional South African "bread" normally stuffed with a ground beef curry or syrup I am thinking pulled pork will be just great in it. Thanks for the idea!
    Lynnwood WA
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    chuff. I think a gordita would be a good substitute.  Google gordita recipes
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • chuff
    edited July 2012
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. A gordita is made with masa de maíz, which is what I was talking about - not masa harina or maseca. I'm definitely trying it one day this week. I was going to make carnitas with leftovers anyway. Might as well try this too! I'm excited about it. Thanks for the killer idea!
    XL BGE
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Smooth, that looks incredible! And thanks for the arepa idea. A nice twist on the typical bbq sammach.  :-bd
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Way to think outside the bun....errr...I mean.....umm...cool idea. Looks incredible and very creative.

I wonder if the difference is that PAN you are talking about is pre-cooked corn meal?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. I love arepas. A Columbian food truck by my house makes Arepa burgers and they are also phenomenal. What seasonings did you use on the Pork?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • SmoothSmoke
    Awesome, thanks for sharing. I love arepas. A Columbian food truck by my house makes Arepa burgers and they are also phenomenal. What seasonings did you use on the Pork?

I used Big Rons Hint of Houston....good stuff, nice lil kick to it. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Very outstanding post. Thanks.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    We do the same thing here but we cook our arepas on cast iron.  The charred bits blend very well with barbecue.
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Tony- do you grill/roast your arepa in the CI or cook it in oil in the CI?  Thanks-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Wow...very Smooth cook boss! Looks so awesome!! This post is Smokin' =D>
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....