Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost - Need BB Rib Advice ASAP!

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I want to do a couple of racks on my XL - this will be my first cook!  I have the adjustable rig from CGS with the Woo2.  Any suggestions on the best setup?  I was thinking that I should do an indirect cook around 275 degrees.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Newbbqer
    Newbbqer Posts: 78
    That's going to be my first cook too, Im sure you'll get some great responses here.  Good Luck!
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Good luck, helped a friend do ribs this week.  What did you rub them with?  I think 250 is a little better, more experienced will chime in.  Dont' forget to post pics.

• 275 dome is perfect. Just put some run on there and let em rip.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    Depends what AR you got. Set the stone on the bottom layer with a drip pan right on top of it. Cook the ribs on the top grid so they're at felt or higher.

275 dome will put you at 250 grid which is perfect. Don't foil...not really needed assuming you're not watching and not cooking.

Search for the bend test and toothpick test to check for doneness. Loin backs will take about 5 hours.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited July 2012

Don't know your planned cook technique-as in X-X-X but here are some related thoughts:

Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like-experiment and enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I do not have that rig so I can't tell you specifically but indirect 250 - 275 should be a good place to start. Without that rig I would use the plate setter legs up with the grate on top of that and the ribs on the grate. But basically whatever method you use for indirect heat should work. In terms of doneness, a thermometer is fairly useless with ribs and you will have to go by appearance. The meet pulling off the bone tips is one clue. The bend test is another. Basically use tongs and pick up the rack at about the mid point. If they bend well and the meat starts to crack you are pretty much there. There is also a toothpick test where you stick a toothpick in and the meat will yield very little resistance when it is done.

This guy has some good general non egg related tips for ribs.

http://www.amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/are_they_ready.html

There is also a Carwash Mike method that a lot of people here respect. Sadly I believe he has passed but his method has been documented and lives on.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Hopefully someone with your rig will give you some specifics with a good setup for it.

• TaylorCR
    TaylorCR Posts: 34
    2nd on the carwash mike method... its almost foolproof

I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• QDude
    Good luck, helped a friend do ribs this week.  What did you rub them with?  I think 250 is a little better, more experienced will chime in.  Dont' forget to post pics.

I am going to use some Simply Marvelous rub - maybe the Sweet Seduction.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Good ribs are really pretty easy.

First, what kind of ribs? So-called baby backs usually cook quicker, no matter what the temp, than spare ribs, which are most often sold trimmed St. Louis style. Or are these beef ribs?

At any rate, here is a base method. Prep the ribs by trimming away any big gobs of fat. Its preferable to pull off the membrane on the bone side. Its tougher in beef ribs than pork, but that is up to you. Coat w. rub at least 1/2 half hour before cooking. They can sit in the fridge coated w. rub overnight w/o problems.

Have the cooking grill at the dome level. Just a drip pan lower down works fine to produce an indirect cook. If you want a simple cook, pre-heat to 250, +/- 10F. You can cook higher, all the way up to 350, but a dome around 250 is the easiest cook. Let the temperature sit there at least until there is no heavy white smoke coming out the top vent. Give it a bit longer if you can.

Put the ribs on, flat on the grill, bone side down. Close the dome, and wait at least a half an hour to see if the temperature comes back to where it was. It should be pretty close. Don't bother messing w. the vents until the temperature is 25F +/- from where you want it.

Make only minor adjustments, and give them 1/2 hour to take effect.

Around 4 hours, open the dome, and see how much the meat has drawn back from the bone ends. Grab a bone end, and give it a tug. If you can easily begin to pull it away from the meat, everything is close to done. This can happen w. BBs at 4 hours, spares at 5. Beef ribs are different, and more stiff, so its not the best test. If the bones are still stiff in the meat, and they probably will be w. a dome around 250, expect at least an hour more. Spares may take 6 or more hours.

Raise the temperature, and mop the ribs w. sauce if you want to speed things up.

When it becomes possible to tear the meat a little when a bone end is twisted, its just about ready. W, pork ribs, the racks should be floppy, and bend almost in half under their own weight. Pinch a bit of, and see if it is to your liking.  Give the racks a mop and a bit more rub, or sauce them some, as you like.  Serve about 15 minutes later.

Also, look up Car Wash Mike's ribs if you are doing BBs. It is a good method that insures a moist and tender ribs, nicely glazed in sauce.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    @LizzeSamps, Dizzy Dust is good on ribs too. I know you said you may get some Dizzy Pig rubs in another thread.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I hope to do ribs sometime this week
  • I did ribs yesterday with Dizzy and bone suckin sauce....they were freaking awesome. I did one rack with dizzy/bone suckin and one wit Slat Lick and Salt lick sauce. The Dizzy was just out of this world (pics to follow)
  • QDude
    How did your brisket come out?

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    Good ribs are really pretty easy.

First, what kind of ribs? So-called baby backs usually cook quicker, no matter what the temp, than spare ribs, which are most often sold trimmed St. Louis style. Or are these beef ribs?

At any rate, here is a base method. Prep the ribs by trimming away any big gobs of fat. Its preferable to pull off the membrane on the bone side. Its tougher in beef ribs than pork, but that is up to you. Coat w. rub at least 1/2 half hour before cooking. They can sit in the fridge coated w. rub overnight w/o problems.

Have the cooking grill at the dome level. Just a drip pan lower down works fine to produce an indirect cook. If you want a simple cook, pre-heat to 250, +/- 10F. You can cook higher, all the way up to 350, but a dome around 250 is the easiest cook. Let the temperature sit there at least until there is no heavy white smoke coming out the top vent. Give it a bit longer if you can.

Put the ribs on, flat on the grill, bone side down. Close the dome, and wait at least a half an hour to see if the temperature comes back to where it was. It should be pretty close. Don't bother messing w. the vents until the temperature is 25F +/- from where you want it.

Make only minor adjustments, and give them 1/2 hour to take effect.

Around 4 hours, open the dome, and see how much the meat has drawn back from the bone ends. Grab a bone end, and give it a tug. If you can easily begin to pull it away from the meat, everything is close to done. This can happen w. BBs at 4 hours, spares at 5. Beef ribs are different, and more stiff, so its not the best test. If the bones are still stiff in the meat, and they probably will be w. a dome around 250, expect at least an hour more. Spares may take 6 or more hours.

Raise the temperature, and mop the ribs w. sauce if you want to speed things up.

When it becomes possible to tear the meat a little when a bone end is twisted, its just about ready. W, pork ribs, the racks should be floppy, and bend almost in half under their own weight. Pinch a bit of, and see if it is to your liking.  Give the racks a mop and a bit more rub, or sauce them some, as you like.  Serve about 15 minutes later.

Also, look up Car Wash Mike's ribs if you are doing BBs. It is a good method that insures a moist and tender ribs, nicely glazed in sauce.
    They are pork baby backs.  Thanks for the great advice!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I hope to do ribs sometime this week

Just hitting 195 as we speak. Taking it off in the next few minutes. I haven't lifted the dome since I put it on but I'm sure it looks good. Can't wait
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Do the ribs like Car Wash Mike says. Can't go wrong. Lots of other ways here on this forum too. Can only vouch for the CWM method - I did it that way for my first rib cook.
    LBGE
  • QDude

Just hitting 195 as we speak. Taking it off in the next few minutes. I haven't lifted the dome since I put it on but I'm sure it looks good. Can't wait
    I have a huge one in the freezer that I will try after a few cooks.  My first one that I did on a Weber Smokey Mountain was just passable.  Thanks for your advice to everyone!

XL BGE and a KBQ.