Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lizzie's overnight brisket fun time

Comments

• I'm chugging along at 268 grid and 183 internal. Another hour maybe.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Mine was great. I've never had anything similar to this taste profile. Family thought it was to die for too and much like Lizzie I anticipated a much later finish time. The swamp venom, cow lick, and turbinado sugar was a perfect rub combo and perfect kick. Loved it. Also, I did the T-Rex last nigh on two fillets and two ribeyes. They were magical. Used the cow lick on those with a little dizzy dust. awesome!!!
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344

Let it ride a little more. Also, you guys let me know if you need help slicing it. There is a trick to it. Not hard, just different than anything else.

Trick?  Oh no!

@Lousubcap,  yup that is the flat.  But not as soft as I would like,, I think my fire is going to die soon too!  Just a few chunks left down there and not any smoke rising.  Maybe it's already dead.

Lizzie you may be good to go, especially if you plan on FTC for a few hours. That will def soften it up.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I'm chugging along at 268 grid and 183 internal. Another hour maybe.

Must be past afternoon libation time-of course-It's Five O'Clock somewhere-24/7!  As if I need an excuse!  Enjoy that wrestling match end-product.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Sorry for my late reply above.. Somehow I was stuck on an earlier page.

I bet it turned out great. I've yet to do one but I'm looking forward to it.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    @Rubmyrock, sounds like a huge success. I bet it had a kick with that swamp venom mixed in.
    @LizzieSamps, congrats on reaching the finish line. I hope the family enjoys your hard work.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    @JWBurns, they have inspired me too. I have done some flats, but I hope to track down a whole packer soon. I think the results will be better. Maybe next month, I am going to be out of town a lot of the next few weeks. Vacation here I come. No egg where I'm going though :(.
  • Rubmyrock said:

Mine was great. I've never had anything similar to this taste profile. Family thought it was to die for too and much like Lizzie I anticipated a much later finish time. The swamp venom, cow lick, and turbinado sugar was a perfect rub combo and perfect kick. Loved it. Also, I did the T-Rex last nigh on two fillets and two ribeyes. They were magical. Used the cow lick on those with a little dizzy dust. awesome!!!

Nice dude! Great work. I bet the swamp venom was great. The overnighters are coming in strong! Hope mine lives up!
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Three out of four is not bad. Friday night's pizza turned out to be an abortion of time but Thursday's burgers were perfect after I did a second batch and Saturday's steaks were perfect as well as today's brisket! Thanks for the help!!
  • Three out of four is not bad. Friday night's pizza turned out to be an abortion of time but Thursday's burgers were perfect after I did a second batch and Saturday's steaks were perfect as well as today's brisket! Thanks for the help!!

I still call that a good week and I've been doing this 8 years!
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    ok 2AM and holding at 270-280 will watch for awhile and go to bed

If that is dome temp, you are golden. I'm over 300 (257 grid) with the draft door and daisy totally shut. this could go sideways but I'm done. woodford has taken it's toll and time for bed. good luck all overnighters and we'll check in in the morning.
    wuss
    Your point?
    I guess my only point was that I had drank too much and somehow felt that lack of sleep equated to masculinity. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Looks like a point temp-the driver is the flat-if you are in fact in the thick part of the flat and no probe resistance then finished-but go for temp in the flat-BTW-isn't that a slow thermapen based on color :)>-
    Lou,  How dare you!

Lizzie, Eggcellent color choice!
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    So when should we check back for final pics? Lookin good so far!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I am planning dinner at 6 or 6:30  I'll take pics.  I only use my phone camera.  I might have to break out the good camera and get some micro shots!  I am nervous, I did not have any drippings left.  

So being lazy here, what do I do to finish as I serve it?
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    congrats LIzzie...you inspired me.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hello All,
    Been back up and running at about 270 for about two hours now. Internal temp is at 186, but I'm wondering where I want to pull it off since it cooled during the cool. Any thoughts all?

Once I pull for the flat the plan is to cut up the point for burnt ends, ramp the Egg temp up to about 350 and throw the ends on with the spatchcock chicken. It's been an adventure, but there's still some hope on the horizon for a good meal.

I'll grab some more pictures as thing wrap up, but for now here's my chicken all rubbed and ready. Do you guys apply a coat of olive oil before heading to the grill?

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I personally don't oil the skin.
    XL BGE
  • Black_Badger
    Not sure why it took so long for that last comment to post, but it's been another hour and I just pulled the brisket. Looks like it should be pretty good. Letting it rest for a bit before I separate the point and get burnt ends going.

Probe had some resistance through flat, but I'm over 195 everywhere I checked (just over 200 in the point).

More pics to come, so far looks like I might have dodged a bullet. Fingers crossed that things are as good as they seem...

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    @ Lizzie-no need to worry about the "finish sauce" or whatever you want to call it.  With a packer, once you start to slice you will be amazed at the amount of natural juice it will yield.  If short, then see hapster's suggestion above.  BTW-the cross-grain cut on the point will be anything but obvious-don't worry if you don't get it right-all good.  And you are one hell of a spirit-inspiration to all!!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ok 2AM and holding at 270-280 will watch for awhile and go to bed

Fair enough :))
    If that is dome temp, you are golden. I'm over 300 (257 grid) with the draft door and daisy totally shut. this could go sideways but I'm done. woodford has taken it's toll and time for bed. good luck all overnighters and we'll check in in the morning.
    wuss
    Your point?
    I guess my only point was that I had drank too much and somehow felt that lack of sleep equated to masculinity. 

• ok 2AM and holding at 270-280 will watch for awhile and go to bed

Fair enough :))
    wuss
    Your point?

• I'm chugging along at 268 grid and 183 internal. Another hour maybe.

Must be past afternoon libation time-of course-It's Five O'Clock somewhere-24/7!  As if I need an excuse!  Enjoy that wrestling match end-product.

Way past :)
  • I am planning dinner at 6 or 6:30  I'll take pics.  I only use my phone camera.  I might have to break out the good camera and get some micro shots!  I am nervous, I did not have any drippings left.  

So being lazy here, what do I do to finish as I serve it?

BBq sauce is all you need. We make sandwiches for the most part. The cheapest white hamburger buns you can get (the brisket is the star).
  • Trav, I was overserved as well (hard to call it being overserved when you are serving yourself) and Mr. Woodford told me it was time for bed :)
  • Black_Badger
    Well, as usual, no problems with getting PLENTY of bark, love those John Henry's rubs.

Wrapped the flat for later slicing and cubed the point. Hit the cubes with a dash of apple cider vinegar and a dusting of Mesquite Garlic rub in preparation to return to Egg for transformation to burnt ends. The very tip of the point was a sort of defacto burnt end, which of course went to the chef, and it was mighty tasty! I might want a little more spice in the future, but this is a very nice start to things. The pic isn't too convincing but it didn't hang around long enough for a second shot...

Temp is ramping up on Egg, will load BEs and spatchcock very soon, for now some more pics.

Middleton, WI
  • Well, as usual, no problems with getting PLENTY of bark, love those John Henry's rubs.

Wrapped the flat for later slicing and cubed the point. Hit the cubes with a dash of apple cider vinegar and a dusting of Mesquite Garlic rub in preparation to return to Egg for transformation to burnt ends. The very tip of the point was a sort of defacto burnt end, which of course went to the chef, and it was mighty tasty! I might want a little more spice in the future, but this is a very nice start to things. The pic isn't too convincing but it didn't hang around long enough for a second shot...

Temp is ramping up on Egg, will load BEs and spatchcock very soon, for now some more pics.

nice BB. Looks great
  • Well.....certainly not thee best I've ever made but it was pretty good. A little light on smoke and rub. Last time I thought I used too much run and that it was too salty. I backed off and probably too much. It was well cooked though and it was certainly better than the sammich I had at the BBQ trailer by my house Friday. Not evn. Lose on that one.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ok, just waiting on the company to get here and then I will pull it out of the cooler and slice it up.  Can't wait!  I will be taking pics.
  • Black_Badger
    Wow Cen-Tex, it sure LOOKS good.

Duly inspired!

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    @ Lizzie-You have achieved way beyond, and your spirit should serve as something for us all.  "Da-n the torpedos, full speed ahead" comes to mind.  Enjoy the festivites this PM :)