Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE unpacked yesterday. First overnight cook.

dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Posted earlier to say that I just got my Big Green egg.  Really, really loving this thing.  This thing has not cooled down since the first fire was built on it.
So far I cooked burgers for lunch (really juicy and good).  A couple of pork tenderloins for dinner (the smoke ring showing was impressive).  Yesterday at about 07:00 PM (which was probably too early) I went ahead and put on the pork shoulder I bought in anticipation of getting the egg.

Got up at 0200, half expecting to find a charred mess and my egg is still holding steady at 250.  The current meat temp is 176.  About to go back to bed and I'll check this thing in the morning.

I am hopeful that as you guys have said that this boston butt will be a forgiving cook since I am still trying to learn what I am doing.

I attached a picture of the butt when I first put it on the egg,

Thanks for the inspirations guys!

P.S.  Note the never to be used again propane/infrared and Weber grills in the background.  Anybody wanna buy a couple old grills... cheap?

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    Wow!  That is an awesome way to start.   I would have been leary about doing an overnighter on my first day, but you definitely have the right attitude.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
    XL BGE
  • dweebs0r
    Took the butt out at around 0730 this morning.  The pictures really make it looked overcooked but it is literally coming apart it is so juicy.  I grabbed a couple pictures before wrapping in foil for the foil, towel, cooler treatment.  The meat thermometer showed 194 when I took it off.  

Questions:

Was the cook too long and/or hot (at approx 250 all night)?

Should I use something else other than apple juice in my drip pan (it was boiled to a crisp)?

Thanks,
    -D

• Man, way to get after it out of the box! The shoulder is perfect. Perfect temp and apparently perfect timing. It's supposed to look like a meteorite so well played. You are in the overnighters club now! Welcome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Looks great! Some ppl "float" their drip pan on foil balls or even the ceramic feet if they're not using them so it's not sitting directly on grid PS.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Took the butt out at around 0730 this morning.  The pictures really make it looked overcooked but it is literally coming apart it is so juicy.  I grabbed a couple pictures before wrapping in foil for the foil, towel, cooler treatment.  The meat thermometer showed 194 when I took it off.  

Questions:

Was the cook too long and/or hot (at approx 250 all night)?

Should I use something else other than apple juice in my drip pan (it was boiled to a crisp)?

Thanks,
    -D

Next time just create an air gap between the plate setter and the drip pan to stop the drip pan from getting so hot, you will not burn this way, may harden up a little, but will not burn and create a nasty flavor in the meat.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Wow, great way to start, keep the fire going!
  • dweebs0r
    I didn't really sleep well last night because I kept looking at the temp on the remote thermometer.
    It is incredible how little maintenance was required to keep the egg at 250.  
    Next time, I think I will be able to sleep all night without constantly waking and looking at the temp.

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    That's not burnt , that's a nice bark ! Looks delicious !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • dweebs0r
    Thanks for the encouragement fellas.  Looks like its pulled pork sandwiches and potato salad for lunch.  Just opened the cooler and the smell is awesome and filled the kitchen really quickly.
  • You don't need to put anything in your drip pan but inwould avoid anything sugary like juice. Just makes a mess. Use water of you think it helps.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Great job Dweebs0r  You just jumped right in there, that take guts!  Your butt has some great bark on it, that is the goal.  You are just cruising along.  Keep it up, and great job on posting pics!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    That isnt burnt, but rather a nice bark!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Way to jump right in! Great looking butt. No need for any liquid in the drip pan. If you do choose to, I've never been able to tell any difference from using different liquids and I've tried beer,applejuice, broth, some other combinations and just water. So save your money and beer and just use water. refill if it gets low so the drippings don't burn.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    What did you rub that with?  That bark is very nice for your first run.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• OMG Eggs
    OMG Eggs Posts: 118

Um, nomex gasket?  Is that the way it came or did you swap it before your first cook?

•  

Thanks,
    -D

I always put four little foil balls under my drip pan and I line my drip pan with foil.........

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Looks great and that is exactly how my bark looks. Would also be curious on your rub and how it tasted! Ngreat job and welcome to the club! Buckeye Bob
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    edited July 2012
    I just put two bone in shoulders about 8 pounds each into my egg. Here is a pic about an hour into it. Smoking them over BGE charcoal and a chunk of apple. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • Jameson19
    So I guess we can't copy and paste images anymore into the body......
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • dweebs0r
    What did you rub that with?  That bark is very nice for your first run.
    The rub was one the butcher at my local shop recommended.  He called it the Number 5.
    I put a little olive oil on for a binder and liberally applied the rub and let it sit overnight.

Um, nomex gasket?  Is that the way it came or did you swap it before your first cook?

If thats a nomex, I didnt pay extra for it.  My dealer assembled the egg and this is how it came from the shop.

• dweebs0r
    Looks great and that is exactly how my bark looks. Would also be curious on your rub and how it tasted! Ngreat job and welcome to the club! Buckeye Bob
    Thanks!  The butt was a little bit dry.  I think I overcooked it a bit despite my temp probe showing 195.  Also, I think the boiled apple juice may have offset the flavor a bit (in the negative).  I still have some experimenting to do.
    I just put two bone in shoulders about 8 pounds each into my egg. Here is a pic about an hour into it. Smoking them over BGE charcoal and a chunk of apple. 
    Looks good!  Appreciate yalls comments.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Thanks!  The butt was a little bit dry.  I think I overcooked it a bit despite my temp probe showing 195.  Also, I think the boiled apple juice may have offset the flavor a bit (in the negative).  I still have some experimenting to do.
    Looks good!  Appreciate yalls comments.
    @dweebs0r 195 should not have been too dry.  But if it was, as you pull the pork, spray it generously with plain apple juice and mix a little of your rub into the pork that you pull. Also as several others have told you there really isn't any need for a liquid in the drip pan.

Heckuva start sir!!!
  • Jameson19
    I mopped my two shoulders with a mixture of: red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, water, dry rub, sugar, apple jelly, honey and molasses. The bark has great flavoring and it's like candy. Headed to a pool party... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • dweebs0r
    Looks really good.  I am hoping my next one will turn out as nice as those.