Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Daytime Butt

gatorBGE
gatorBGE Posts: 81
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok, I usually don't chronicle my cooks here, but after lurkers being called out I decided to put it out there.  First, no pics...I know, but I SUCK at taking pics, my wife won't let me take pics of her at all.

Anyway, picked up a 4.75# butt from a local farm, not a lot of fat to trim.  After a lot of back and forth and wanting to get it prepped to go on Sat am decided to go simple, trimmed, cut some slits, placed in ziploc bag with Stubbs pork marinade.  Sat for over 12 hours and went on egg at 9am with several chunks of oak.  Then turned my attention to sauce.  Worked to replicate my dad's recipe, well, at least one of them, hit it close, so I was happy.  Pulled butt at between 200-205 IT.  Foiled and rested for couple hours, pulled a little tough, but it pulled.  Served with beans and mustard slaw.

Best attempt at butt, yet.  Smoke was good, flavor from stubbs was good and of course getting close to one of my dad's sauces.  He had multiple variations he used depending on who he was cooking for and it evolved over the years.

Overall great dinner.
Large Egg October 2011
MiniMax December 2014

Comments

• awesome. Can you share the sauce recipe? Also, I love Stubbs marinades (they are from my town), but have you ever done a butt just dry rubbed? that is a little more traditional as far as pulled pork bbq goes. Better bark and more smoke if you are in to that kind of thing. Love to see you chasing your dad's recipe. keep us posted
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Have done dry, honestly, plan was to brine, then pat dry and dry rub before going on grill, just decided to go simple flavor profile, see what results would be.

Sauce- No measurements, simply to taste.  Used Kraft original as base, forgot that Kraft changed their recipe years ago and that it was a little too sweet.  Dad had switched to using Cattlemans for base.  Sauteed bacon, onions, added Kraft, ketchup, prepared yellow mustard, worcestshire, garlic, and a ton of ACV to cut the sweet.

Helped my dad make GALLONS of sauce, but you know, when you're young and not the one really doing it, it takes some playing to get back to the results you want.  Learned to grill as early as I can remember, my dad would cater work cooks for his crews and I would help him, cooked for the church, had a catering business for several years....no greater joy than when i "grew up" and doing a large birthday party for my father in law, had dad come and hang out and help, told me i had turned out a great product...and that was before the egg...wish he could taste some of what gets done now.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • Have done dry, honestly, plan was to brine, then pat dry and dry rub before going on grill, just decided to go simple flavor profile, see what results would be.

Sauce- No measurements, simply to taste.  Used Kraft original as base, forgot that Kraft changed their recipe years ago and that it was a little too sweet.  Dad had switched to using Cattlemans for base.  Sauteed bacon, onions, added Kraft, ketchup, prepared yellow mustard, worcestshire, garlic, and a ton of ACV to cut the sweet.

Helped my dad make GALLONS of sauce, but you know, when you're young and not the one really doing it, it takes some playing to get back to the results you want.  Learned to grill as early as I can remember, my dad would cater work cooks for his crews and I would help him, cooked for the church, had a catering business for several years....no greater joy than when i "grew up" and doing a large birthday party for my father in law, had dad come and hang out and help, told me i had turned out a great product...and that was before the egg...wish he could taste some of what gets done now.

Really cool story. and BTW- Cattleman's is the best base by far if you are using commercial sauce as a starter. Forget Kraft- they used to be the base but you are totally right- it's Cattleman's now. I don't use it anymore but I have many times. if I had a gun to my head and had to choose a commercial sauce to serve, I would choose Cattleman'. My favorite bottled sauce is Salt Lick by far but it is very unique so I wouldn't assume everyone would like it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX