Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip success! Thanks to all who post

Options
DeaconKav
DeaconKav Posts: 84
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Cooked my first tri tip tonight. Wow, so tender and juicy. Thanks to everyone on this forum. The hall of famers like Tom fm cgs, cen tex, stike, Travis, and list goes on. Read Lizzie's post about tri tip and all suggestions from everyone. So I did the indirect at 325 and then did reverse sear. And it came out perfect. I like a medium or medium well so I did cook my longer than most. Also, tired corn in then husk for first time. I opened the husk & took out the silk and grilled it while I was doing the sear. The corn was so sweet and prefect. I did put some dizzy dust on one of them and will be doing that again! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comments

• tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    Looks nicely done.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Here's a tip for corn in the husk. Slap it on the grill exactly like you got it from the store. Turn it a couple of times if you feel like it, or don't. Take it off when it's done. Now here's the cool part - you don't have to shuck it. All you have to do is cut of the stem end so that you've exposed the full diameter of the ear. Then you just grab the pointy end of the ear and squeeze like you're trying to get a popsicle out. Turn the cut end towards the plate. Once it starts to move you may have to give a couple of light shakes back and forth, but it won't take much. The ear will pop out of there and leave all of the hairs behind. If the corn is cooked well the ear will come out perfectly clean. I'm talking cleaner than you can ever get it shucking by hand.

This also works in the microwave. Toss the ears in no more than two at a time and nuke them for 5-7 minutes depending on the power of your microwave, cut off the ends, and squirt the ears out onto the plate. This trick was a real boon for my kids because I grew up in the rural midwest and I've shucked enough corn for a lifetime. I HATE shucking corn. Now we can have corn on the cob all the time and I don't have to mess with shucking it. Win win. 
    XL BGE
  • DeaconKav
    Options
    @chuff I will try that next time. For dessert... Crown royal reserve
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Here's a tip for corn in the husk. Slap it on the grill exactly like you got it from the store. Turn it a couple of times if you feel like it, or don't. Take it off when it's done. Now here's the cool part - you don't have to shuck it. All you have to do is cut of the stem end so that you've exposed the full diameter of the ear. Then you just grab the pointy end of the ear and squeeze like you're trying to get a popsicle out. Turn the cut end towards the plate. Once it starts to move you may have to give a couple of light shakes back and forth, but it won't take much. The ear will pop out of there and leave all of the hairs behind. If the corn is cooked well the ear will come out perfectly clean. I'm talking cleaner than you can ever get it shucking by hand.

This also works in the microwave. Toss the ears in no more than two at a time and nuke them for 5-7 minutes depending on the power of your microwave, cut off the ends, and squirt the ears out onto the plate. This trick was a real boon for my kids because I grew up in the rural midwest and I've shucked enough corn for a lifetime. I HATE shucking corn. Now we can have corn on the cob all the time and I don't have to mess with shucking it. Win win. 
    Double +1. When I nuke ears of corn (lord forgive me) I do 4 min per ear and just like you said, cut the big end and hold the pointy end and the ear plops out without even a piece of silk. Same goes for grilling. I like to slow roast for about 1hr and let all those starches turn to sugar. Its like nectar from heaven. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Thanks @Chuff for the tip, doing that next time!  

@Deconcav  looks great, glad it all worked out for you!

• ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    Big believer in grilling in the husk. Never tried the cut one end off and squeeze the corn out trick though. Thought about it as I read the post and thought, "why didn't I think of that sooner?" I have been using a couple of pot holders and just undressing the corn from the pointy end while it is hot. Works well, all the silk just peels right off.
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    That Tri-tip looks great.  Nice smoke ring also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    From a guy in the very middle of corn country, that method works extremely well and saves a lot of time.  We have done it that way for as long as I remember my Dad cooking corn on the cob on the old flat grill with the half hood and the Lazy Susan turning grid.  Didn't work worth a darn when Mom boiled it though. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice cook Deacon. Looks awesome
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    Back to Deacon on this one - two things - what rub did you use (looks good, like large chunks?), and second never heard of a reverse sear. I assume this is cook indirect and sear at the finish?

Thanks
    LBGE
  • DeaconKav
    Options
    @ cen tex thanks @doc I used historic Lynchburg tenn whiskey steak seasoning with some cracked garlic pepper. I used some jack Daniels & cherry wood chips this time. And exactly on the cook, 325 indirect cook then seared both sides.
  • herculesdad
    Options
    Thanks for the tip will definitely try that today. 
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Tri tip is just one of the best cuts for egging, ever.  Ever.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon