Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome is out of alignment.

Canadian Egg
Canadian Egg Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Seems like the hinge is twisted. Anyone had this happen? Lg Egg

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Make sure all your bolts and nuts are appropriately tight.  I want to say torque it back straight, but I'd need to see a picture of the hinge.

I usually use a crescent wrench (or some other long tool) for leverage to bend steel back to where it's supposed to be.
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    If you have done a hot cook recently it likely just loosened the metal bands. This happened to me while I had a pizza on and I was able to correct it before burning the pizza. Once cooled, I loosened the bands up and had a friend push down on the dome, tightened everything up and all was well. It takes a little trial and error to perfect however.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• nolaegghead
    You want to make sure those bands are TORQUED down big time so your top doesn't fall out, crash and burn.

I used an impact drive and deep well socket and stopped when the band ends distorted about as much as I thought they could handle.

Agreed that everything needs to be tight... however, do not overtighen... the bolts can sheer off.

Please dont ask me how I know!

8->
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • nolaegghead
    I'd rather strip a bolt than have the top hemisphere break...but then again I have replacements.  Sorry you sheered one off.
    I torqued mine to BGE specs. My dome seems to have become offset to the rear. I will raise the lower band tomorrow to set the dome forward. Then of course I will recheck all bolts.
  • Thanks for all the comments! I brought in a friend who is mechanically inclined and I think we have it down to a bolt issue. Great help! Thanks to all.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012
    I think BGE spec is 125in lbs of torque. I torqued to BGE spec, but cannot remember the exact number.

Just make sure not to mistake foot lbs with inch lbs as some people have. As others have said, really you just need to see the bolts bend about 1/4" and you should be ok. You could always do what I did as well and throw a second nut on there to "double nut" it. This will prevent the first one from loosening.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#tightenbands

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Having assembled my medium within the past few months, the spec is 120 inch or 10 foot pounds. I have a torque wrench and was amazed at how the band assembly loosened after the first three or four cooks. Being a bit of a gear head, I check regularly and after four cooks it seems to have stabilized. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • If its not a bolt tension issue - check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg

• Still fighting with the alignment. Followed the video instructions and still out. I love my egg but almost ready to tip it over. Missed 2 cooks and going into a 4 day weekend and I can't cook! GRRRRR!