Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table Design - feel free to use it, but don't sell it!

Options
ElektroOganik
ElektroOganik Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in EGG Table Forum
I live in the UK and I've just recently purchased a large BGE.  If any of you live in the UK then you will know that it hasn't stopped raining since May.  That said, i've had it for three weeks and cooked on it every night.  The steaks ...man they're amazing!  Anyway, being a designer I had to create my own table (Heavily treated that is), so that I can entertain and show off my newly acquired culinary skills with a decent surface.  I've just finished it and i'm waiting for the final coat to dry, so i'll post a picture soon.  However, I'm feeling generous and am willing to share my design - it costs about £100 to build and it's as sturdy as a butchers block!  I've seen some bad pictures of purchased tables and it rocks in comparison.  If you're in the UK, use the part numbers and go to B&Q and get them to do all the cuts and just screw it together, simple! That's what I did.  Definitely purchase the firebricks from Vitcas in Bristol.  I haven't seen any evidence of burning and i've had it damn hot, followed advice from Nakedwhiz.

A tip for those in the UK who want to buy decent restaurant grade Charcoal (cheaper and just as good as the BGE fuel), get it from IGNITEwoodfuels.co.uk it's just as good.

Enjoy!

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    sweet nest
    Options
    That is gorgeous! Thanks for the plans. I assume the measurements are centimeters?
  • ElektroOganik
    Options
    Cheers! They are millimeters.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Use centimeters if you want a really big table, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • brewbq
    brewbq Posts: 52
    Options
    Very nice.  I'm planning on making a more permanent solution once I move to San Antonio, but for now the metal nest works.  What color stain is that?
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    Options
    nice looking table, hope you have a roof on top with all that rain
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    Options
    Well you know we likes'em big in America. Isn't bigger better?
  • ElektroOganik
    Options
    Very nice.  I'm planning on making a more permanent solution once I move to San Antonio, but for now the metal nest works.  What color stain is that?

It's Sadolin redwood exterior stain. Wasn't expecting it to look so red..!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Just use inches but cut the hole in mm.
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    Very nice table, but far from a unique design.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    +1

Very pedestrian design. The stain however; is spectacular.
  • ElektroOganik
    Options
    It’s not unique in the slightest, but a damn sight easier to follow than other plans I’ve seen.  No point reinventing the wheel… It seems that some people are making a killing out of selling people junk tables that they can’t even deliver on time, so hopefully I can provide some help.  So your welcome!
  • turok
    turok Posts: 28
    Options
    +1

The design is fine. Its a table. What do you want some hydraulic lift that raises a grill rack out of the center with cool smoke and a light show? Its a nice solid table that holds the egg and gives an adjacent work surface. You could always make adjustments and your own features.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    +1

What do you want some hydraulic lift that raises a grill rack out of the center with cool smoke and a light show?
    Damn damn :-? why in the world didn't I incorporate that into my table build??!? L-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    Nice looking table.  Thanks for sharing the plans.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Options

Nice table I think you should take a look at the tables on this link.There were a few  with your design before you.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/TableGallery/tables.htm

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Options
    he's not saying his design is original, he's saying the plans might be either clearer or easier than others out there.

and i'm calling double-doosh on the comment "pedestrian design". give the guy a break for crying out loud.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Rubmyrock
    Options
    +1

The design is fine. Its a table. What do you want some hydraulic lift that raises a grill rack out of the center with cool smoke and a light show? Its a nice solid table that holds the egg and gives an adjacent work surface. You could always make adjustments and your own features.
    From someone who claims to be a designer. storage space would be a good start.

• Rubmyrock
    Options
    he's not saying his design is original, he's saying the plans might be either clearer or easier than others out there.

and i'm calling double-doosh on the comment "pedestrian design". give the guy a break for crying out loud.

I call illiterate on your spelling of double douche. When you get an education look up the word pedestrian. It's wasn't an insult, douche bag.

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I have made a few modifications to the design, for startets when the egg reached 250 degrees a firework show begins. In addition I have had an 80 inch outdoor tv!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i spelled it correctly by the way. was colloquial. 

in my book, 'pedestrian' is a bit of a slam, unless you mean his table is for use while walking, or by people who are enthusiasts of walking.

that is, unless 'unimaginative' or 'average' is now being used as a compliment by people much cooler than i am.  which is most people.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • ElektroOganik
    Options
    Geez! You try and help people out...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    So true...but thanks for the effort and nice job!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    In all honesty, joking aside, I think the table looks great, and the only modication I would do is adding a bottle opener. Table looks great, and if I ever have time I will look at these designs.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It's a classic design - skirt/rails surface mounted via fasteners to the outside of the legs with plank top/shelf.  Designed to be built with minimal tools.  All you need is a miter saw, drill and something to cut the hole for the egg (router or jig saw).   Sort of the AK-47 of table design.

seems like no good deed goes unpunished around here :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

seems like no good deed goes unpunished around here :)

SO,SO TRUE.  NOT JUST HERE, BUT IN LIFE!  But...don't change because of someone else!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"