Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help picking my first ceramic grill

Justin_E
Justin_E Posts: 5
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My name is Justin. I live in East TN. I'm looking at getting my first ceramic grill and want to get some input. I mainly cook burgers and smoke the occasional pork butt. I'm wanting to start experimenting with ribs, pizza, fish and brisket. I do on occasion cook for several people. I'm thinking of either a BGE XL or Primo Oval XL. Does anyone have experience with both of these? I really like the oval shape for ribs and the locking hinge. Howev What if I get a Primo and, say, a small, medium, or large Egg. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Don't think you will get too many suggestions outside of the BGE on this forum Justin.  We all love our eggs. Sorta like going on a Green Bay Packers forum and saying you are trying to decide between the Packers and the Bears. :D
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Don't think you will get too many suggestions outside of the BGE on this forum Justin.  We all love our eggs. Sorta like going on a Green Bay Packers forum and saying you are trying to decide between the Packers and the Bears. :D

Ha ha, love my egg! You will 2!
  • Duganboy
    @LizzieSamps we be eggin in the Bluegrass!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    The primo oval XL and the XL egg were my final two choices. I went with the egg for a couple of reasons.

1 accessories galore. Not as many for primo.

2 the lid on the primo was very heavy. The hinge mechanism on the egg is a better design. I had to think about my wife opening it.

Otherwise, I really liked the primo. I also LOVE the fact that they are manufactured in the US. I wish the egg was made here.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Justin_E
    I agree. That's another driving factor. I like made in America. Of course, I like the accessories. Might have to try both. ;)

By chance, do you mean KY or that you're a fellow bluegrass picker?
  • Duganboy

Justin_E Kentucky.  Right next door to you.
  • Justin_E
    I was up that way a few months back on a trip with a friend to pick up a BCS hand tractor at Earth Tools in Owenton.

Wonder what it'd take to get BGE to move production to the US.
  • I have both! Both are quality products. Xl is much better due to oval shape and ease of direct and indirect setup at same time.
  • There are a few guys on here with both. Hopefully they will chime in. They are both great cookers and I'm sure you will dig in and love whichever you choose.

The accessories for the egg are awesome and Dugan mentioned above. Really creative folks out there making great things for the egg.

This would slant it in the favor of the egg for me, but I'm an egg guy so that's obviously biased

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    BGE - accessories, warrantee, forum :)
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Yes this forum ROCKS!! :D
  • Vitaman
    Vitaman Posts: 46
    I'm a newbie here but I would consider the accessories (pre-made and make your own) a huge bonus for the BGE. I only have a small, but I just made a 4 tier jerkey rack for about $50 with simple hardware and grates from Home Depot. I'd hate to think what this would have cost me if I had to buy grates from Primo.
    And yes, this forum ROCKS!
    Jeff
  • CGW1
    CGW1 Posts: 332
    Justin,

At the end of the day the choice is really yours...I carry the egg and Grill Dome my job is to educate and let the buyer make the choice. All the top manufactures offer a good quality product. My best advice to you would be this. Consider the dealers in your area and how knowledgable they are about the products ask questions there, get a feel for the cooker yourself first hand, opinions on forums like these can be slanted and rightfully so...as duganboy mentioned. Accessories can be interchangeable between kamados, except for the oval, so all of the egg accessories can be used in kamado joe, grill dome, vision, saffire etc. based on the homework you do your choice should then be an easy one.

Good luck
    Franco Ceramic Grillworks www.ceramicgrillworks.com
  • mrjwhit
    mrjwhit Posts: 83
    Yes this forum ROCKS!! :D
    I'm going to have to check in to that place. What's the URL?  :))
    Large BGE as of Father's day '12 http://www.jwhit.com
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    The primo is about $600 more than the XL. I believe the egg is made in Mexico because THE best ceramics manufacturer happens to be in Mexico. Not so much because it's cheaper to be made in Mexico.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    I think the list on the primo oval xl is only about $100 more than the bge xl; and I have heard of dealers selling it for considerably less.
  • troutgeek
    edited July 2012
    I think the list on the primo oval xl is only about $100 more than the bge xl; and I have heard of dealers selling it for considerably less.
    Ah ok. I've seen the promo oval for 1800.00 in Madison, WI, but the place I saw it at is not known to be inexpensive.
  • Justin_E
    Maybe I can luck out and find a place that sells both. That way I can compare them side-by-side.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    How many Primo fests have you seen? Go to one Eggfest and the quality of the folks you meet there will sell you on the Egg.
  • Justin_E
    Ok, I emailed an Egg dealer about an XL Egg.

" The XL egg we sell as a "package" which includes a bag of coal, starters, a grid gripper, an ash tool, the "nest" (cart), that the grill sits in, and the daisy wheel top for temp control. We sell that "package" for $1382.00. We also include assembly of the product for no additional charge."

Is this reasonable?
  • Ok, I emailed an Egg dealer about an XL Egg.

" The XL egg we sell as a "package" which includes a bag of coal, starters, a grid gripper, an ash tool, the "nest" (cart), that the grill sits in, and the daisy wheel top for temp control. We sell that "package" for $1382.00. We also include assembly of the product for no additional charge."

Is this reasonable?

yes. same price here in austin
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I would offer them the price if they throw in a platesetter.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• acrash
    acrash Posts: 17

Is this reasonable?

yes. same price here in austin
    +1 here in Utah.  Love my XL - I have had a Weber Stainless Gas Grill for 10 years. I am stunned how much better, versatile, and tasty the food is on my Egg.  I have cooked so many things on my Egg that I hardly ever use my gas grill anymore.
  • Little Steven
    I would offer the asking price if they throw in a platesetter and pizza stone. Settle for the platesetter

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Double post sort of. Thought I hit the wrong button

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• troutgeek

Is this reasonable?
    Sounds reasonable, but don't let him fool ya about the daisy wheel. It's standard equipment.