Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time is of the essence - Brisket (17#) & Shoulder (10#) cook

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
My son's 2nd birthday party is tomorrow and I'm set to leave at noon assuming the meat cooperates.  Put the brisket on my LBGE at 3:30pm and the butt on my SBGE at 4:00pm and have run into a few complications thus far.  

1st, my pit sensor for the small is shot so I'll be manually monitoring the temp tonight.  

Then came the rain, so I jacked my umbrella from the outdoor table and used cinder blocks to stabilize it. lol (rain has obviously passed but it's supposed to rain more tonight)

Now my bigger issue (maybe haha) is that the brisket seems to be cooking very quickly.  The flat is at 163.6 (stoker set to 250), the point is at 151.6 and the butt is at 143.5 (cruising at 225).

Should I start making some temp adjustments now or should I wait till midnight?  I'm shooting for 195-200.  

I rubbed the brisket with TX BBQ Grand Champion and the butt was rubbed with Dizzy Dust (Coarse).  Cen-Tex linked me his recipe for some great finishing vinegar sauce that i'll mix into the butt after it's pulled.  It definitely smells like it has some zing.

The members on this board are incredible.  Cen-Tex has provided me with a slew of information via PM.  Can't say how invaluable our board members are...especially since Travis did the same for me my 1st brisket cook.  

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments