Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Daisy Wheel

gte1
gte1 Posts: 379
edited February 2012 in Weight Loss Forum
The daisy wheel has a gooey layer of grease build up. What is the best way to clean it?
George

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Put it inside the egg at a high temp and let it burn off the grease buildup

You can just do this at the end of your next cook, letting the temp rise and burn off the excess grease.

Please allow those forum members who need more posts to solidify my comment. :)
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    I'm afraid that doing so would create a bad smelling smoke that may permeate the walls go the egg.
    George
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    the grease you'll be burning off is the very same stuff that's rendered out of the food you cook. i don't think it'll be an issue.
  • Run that BGE up high as you can get it? Place the cap in the egg and the rest is clean including the egg. Short post today. Me and the wife are headed to Savannah. See yall soon.

Living the good life in MACDonna
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    You can always go at it with a blowtorch...... 
  • pugsley
    pugsley Posts: 1
    put it in the dishwasher
  • Put it inside the egg at a high temp and let it burn off the grease buildup

You can just do this at the end of your next cook, letting the temp rise and burn off the excess grease.

Please allow those forum members who need more posts to solidify my comment. :)
    +1 I put mine on the grate after every cook while it is cooling down. Works great. I would not put it in the dishwasher. The DW is cast iron and can absorb somebody te soap.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    do you keep it in the egg as it cools? that will cause any liquid fats to drip off, while keeping it perfectly seasoned.  i wouldn't ever advocate straight-up high temp blasts or dishwasher trips, because you will need to start all over again seasoning it.  yours is already seasoned, maybe just too much.  brush off any friable sooty buildup, and then just keep it in the egg after each cook.  it will lose that gummyness quiickly.

if you did decide to do a high heat burn, it couldn't cause any fumes problem in the egg, because it would be burning something that burns in the egg all the time.  fats
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I like the gummyness as it keeps my daisy wheel adjusted properly when I have to open the lid rather than having to constantly re-align the vents to the last setting.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I agree.  I put it in the egg right before I snuff out the lump.  Never rusts and seems to heat it up more than it gets on top to melt away the excess grease.
    When I am ready to quit, I take the DW off the top of the egg, stick it on the grate, and then shut down the egg.  Never any issues.
    XL BGE
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    When I am ready to quit, I take the DW off the top of the egg, stick it on the grate, and then shut down the egg.  Never any issues.

+1

But I have new pressure washer that is alot of fun.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    yea, metal and water dont mix. I recently started to put mine in the egg as it's cooling down, and any loose bits fall off when it's all dried out Perfectly seasoned and ready to go everytime
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012
    Just another way: Put it up and never use it. Works fine for me.When I did use it I always put in the egg at the end of the cook and worked fine. Just found from the forum that several did not use  and was not needed. Found (IMO) they were correct, one less item to screw with, ever. Will hold 275 fine w/o it and thats as low as I go anyway. Just put the ceramic top at the end of the cook to kill Egg and close the bottom vent.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I agree.  I put it in the egg right before I snuff out the lump.  Never rusts and seems to heat it up more than it gets on top to melt away the excess grease.
    Geez, never thought of this. My 3 year old grandson is attracted to anything made of metal (swear to God the kid is magnetic) I've always put the top vent in the egg when I put on the rain cap to snuff it out. My wheel is clean as a whistle - didn't know I was cleaning it through my choice of storage location and hiding it from little hands. Thanks! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stike
    Mickey. What if i said i used the daisy and never messed with the bottom vent? One less thing to mess with. ;)

Only one vent controls the egg. Just need to pick one
  • nolaegghead
    Never tried extinguishing it with the bottom vent open.

:))
    You certainly can. Dont be so quick to laugh

Dont need to shut off both ends of a garden hose, do you?
    Try it

• stike
    I am not the first egger who threw the daisy into the egg, dropped the ceramic cap on and went to bed, only to find the bottom vent still open in the morning. ...with the egg still out

Have you notyet figured out that i dont comment unless i know what the hell i'm talking about? Do you see me diagnosing guru issues or brisket trouble or how to cook crawfish? No

Would that others did the same
    :))
  • nolaegghead
    Well, I didn't lie - never did try it.  Learn somefin new every day.  That's the reason I'm here.  Begs the question, why equip with two damping controls when one can just stay open?  And yes, no no no.
    edited August 2012
    Used to come with a sliding vent, and the ceramic cap

Tilt the cap to control temps, but it would fall off when you opened the dome. Sliding vent was good, but bending isnt always everyone's favorite

So they introduce a dial-it-in daisy. Light the grill, jam open the bottom vent all the way, and dial in 250 on the daisy. Walk away

Why do they offer that brass nozzle for a garden hose, when you can set exactly how much water you want to come out by just turning the tap? Because one offers finer control right where the business end is. The other is more suited to gross settings, and not as convenient

Thought that was obvious myself :-?
  • nolaegghead
    I have a ball valve on the hose bib and it's either full on or full off.  And I might be 40 feet away from it working the business end while the "hose" is 3 feet long on the egg.  Guess I work my hose like you work your egg.  No hose jokes, peanut gallery.   :)) Anyway, thanks for the info, Stike.
    You work your hose however it suits best, nola. No one is judging ;)
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    I have a ball valve on the hose bib and it's either full on or full off.  And I might be 40 feet away from it working the business end while the "hose" is 3 feet long on the egg.  Guess I work my hose like you work your egg.  No hose jokes, peanut gallery.   :)) Anyway, thanks for the info, Stike.

Boo!
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • So if you control by the daisy wheel then is your vent on bottom wide open? I would love to just mess with 1 thing!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

So if you control by the daisy wheel then is your vent on bottom wide open? I would love to just mess with 1 thing!

I only use both if I am doing a low temp, past 300, I only use bottom vent. I keep it simple stupid. KISS.
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    use both. or just use the top. or just use the bottom.
    all work, so whatever works for YOU is the only criteria.

you can't let draft out faster without the top on, or let more air in by opening the bottom, when the other vent is restricting flow.
  • I have had my egg over a year & my daisy wheel has become gummy & hard to adjust. I never thought of placing it on the grate after cooking, but it worked perfectly & I will continue to place it there every time I am done cooking. What a great idea!!! Now, off to smoke some potatoes to go with the steaks tonight!! Thanks for all the input, I am learning a lot in this forum. :)>-