Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long have you wanted an Egg before you got one?

Comments

• MeanGreen
    MeanGreen Posts: 7
    3 to 4 years. It took a long tome to convince myself to spend that kind of money on a grill. Luckily my gasser went out and my wife was nice enough to buy one as a birthday gift a few months after the gasser it out.
  • blaccjack
    blaccjack Posts: 37
    I waited about 1 month. My co-worker told me about the BGE. I was getting a custom pit built that was going to cost $2500. Now I can get two eggs if the first one works like I hope. I'm still a newbie.
  • I was oblivious to the existence of the Egg until January of this year. I happened to be traveling for work, and mentioned to a co-worker that I wanted to get into smoking/BBQ this spring. He started talking about this 'big green egg' thing, and I was fascinated.

A bit of reading and a March bonus check later...and I joined the ranks of those that 'know'. I will quite simply NEVER grill/smoke/roast on any other outdoor cooker again. My egg has sparked a passion for cooking that had evidently lay dormant for 43 yrs...and I could not be happier!

TC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Well Feb of this year a tree feel in my yard from a storm and crushed my grill. Used insurance money to help pay for the Egg
    That's cool!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160

I wanted one because of everything you could do with the egg. I like the idea of having an outdoor oven,grill,smoker, etc. I had wanted one for a few months, then I found that my local Ace was stocking them so I went out and bought my small!!

I hope it will be the last grill I ever need unless I want to get a bigger Egg in the future!!

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195

About 9 mo, have a high end gasser built into a outdoor kitchen, 2 webber ketttle. How do you justify a XL egg to the wife ? I know, a high end bithday. The gasser is for storage and a worming oven for parties. I  love my egg, my wife calls it my green mistress. Thanks to everyone on this forum for all your information and help. Oh and I have only had it for 4 mo.

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    I think I waited about 4 years.  I had been through a couple of webers.  The last one started to rust about 4 years ago and I started looking at the BGE but I hadn't yet mentioned it to my family and they surprised me with a Brinkman charcoal grill to replace the weber.  I liked the Brinkman but I didn't love it- and I didn't like it as much as the Weber.  When the Brinkman started to rust out I told my husband I had my eye on a grill made out of ceramic and I wanted him to take a look at it with me.  We bought a large that day.  We started to wheel the Brinkman out to the street for the garbage collector but our next door neighbor asked for it- he got all our brickettes too!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • had no signficant interest in an egg until a friend (Frank from Houma) told my wife about his...looked and saw the price, thought he had lost his mind...finally, the old gasser (Weber) was running out of life and started looking at a new one...stainless $700.00 thought I would go back and look at the egg...

wanted a large, wife said no way, get the biggest they have we are only doing this once...that was just over a year ago and we now go to eggfests and cook... we have three eggs...   :)    guess she was wrong, she said now we may need a medium or small for the RV....  

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    A week or so.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • One day. I saw one and told my wife about it. The next day she hitched up the wagon and we drove two hours to buy one on sale at Rosswell Hardware. My wife rocks. She wants to start cooking on it too, but is hesitant to. So right now I am still doing all the cooking.
    LBGE
  • About 10 years.  Still kicking myself in the BLEEP! (censored because this is a family forum you know).
    Flint, Michigan
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    'Bout 2 years. Didn't know about the forum. Hadn't run across the Whizz's site. Did not know what ceramic cookers really could do, but I saw a couple of nice pics on the net of good looking ribs. Dealer offered to toss a nest in for free.

Within 2 weeks, I realized the 2 years of hesitation was one of the biggest wastes in my life.
  • tybish
    tybish Posts: 61
    I saw my first one at a street fest in Chicago and for a whole year I read about them and watched videos. A buddy of mine actually bought me one for a graduation/wedding gift (since they were close together). Pretty cool eh?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Hadn't even heard of BGE when my CharBroil died.  Decided to buy a better grill so I picked up a Weber SS 330.  One year later my mother in law was telling me about the charcoal grill her doctor son had (BGE).  I started researching and decided I should have gotten the BGE instead of the weber but thought "It's too late now".  Then the company I work for had an outstanding year and it looked like my bonus was going to be really nice.  When the bonus came in my wife marched me down to the BGE dealer and said "You worked really hard and you deserve this!!"  Did I tell you she is the best thing that ever happened to me - my eggs are real close though.  So bottom line, I waited almost a year.  Knowing what I know now - should have bought it the day I researched it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Years...went to get a new burner...on sale...popped it.. Love it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Not long, saw it, mentioned to my wife I was going to get one, on my birthday a week later there was one delivered. That was 15 years ago

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I love them long time before I got one.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Little time in the orient there travis?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wasn't his first happy ending.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I'm somewhat OCD when it comes to buying anything...so I considered it for about a year.  My wife finally went out and bought it for me "so I would just up about whether or not I should by it" ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited November 2012
    When SWMBO graduated from UT, she wanted to buy herself a graduation present.  She got obsessed with the BGE.  Told me I needed to build a table.  So I started reading up on them, got the fever and she came home with one a few weeks later.  It's all her fault.  I bought her a new laptop.
  • I first had food cooked off one 15 years ago (was in high school) and remembered it being the most incredible meal. I swore to myself that I would get one someday. I would always go to stores that sold them and "window shop". Finally got one this past June and it was definitely worth the wait! Trying to decide what to grill today...
  • SigP
    SigP Posts: 25
    I probably have the record. One week... I had never heard of ceramic cookers. Saw them in a new display at my local Ace. Thought it was a great concept was hesitant because of the price. I came home and did some research (and found this place (among others)) and went from not knowing they existed on week to not being able to live without one the next. Went back and bought one the next weekend and have been learning and loving it since.
  • rdmudd
    rdmudd Posts: 24
    Waited 2 years. Started with a medium and an xl and just added a large. No looking back now!!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    Life was good, Weber kettle, Broil king gasser and neighbor had a Kamado Joe. We talked and shared BBQ knowledge. I was able to use his Kamado Joe for about two years. Then he moved and there was now something missing from my BBQ ritual. When my aging Weber died it started me down the path of getting a Kamado cooker, MBGE was best choice for SWMBO and me, took about 2 weeks to make the choice over a Primo or Vision. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Ate off my brother in laws medium egg about 3 years ago. Couldn't believe the food that came off it. Got into BBQ'ing about a year ago then told the wife I must get a egg! Best choice I've ever made!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • misu
    misu Posts: 213
    I wanted one for about 5 years before I got it. But that only applies to the first one, 2nd 3rd and 4th were in the "months range" :)
    I have an XL planned for 6 months from now but notice I din't say that will be the next, you never know when a crazy CL deal comes up.
    Then maybe a small too in 2014
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    About 4 years. Like many I couldn't justify the price. That is until I went to a demo day and went home with one. Have been trying to sell them to everyone I know since.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • makis
    makis Posts: 81
    One month BUT i was looking for a good grill or smoker for two years.
    Believe it or not i first heard about BGE over Cigar Aficionado forums; looked into it for a while and after a month I had a friend in Seattle buy me an XL and air freight it in Greece.Expensive but I will write it off in the years to come...