Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Putting frozen baby backs on the egg?

Options
MDHog
MDHog Posts: 43
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have an extra rack of baby backs that I froze from a 3 pack from Sam's club. I removed membrane already before I froze them. Forgot to set them out last night so they are of course still frozen solid. Would need to put them on in a few hours for dinner tonight but they will almost certainly still be frozen by the time they go on the egg. 

Will this work? Will they hold rub? Any thoughts?

Comments

• timekpr1
    timekpr1 Posts: 151
    Options
    If you have a cast iron griddle, lay the ribs on it.  They will defrost quickly due to the heat transfer.  You may need to occasionally heat the grid up under some warm water.  Our granite counter tops are a huge heat sink that I use for just that purpose.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    They will defrost in warm water in under 10 minutes. I did 2 racks for my inlaws this week and they were defrosted, rubbed and on the egg in 10 min
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    They will defrost in warm water in under 10 minutes. I did 2 racks for my inlaws this week and they were defrosted, rubbed and on the egg in 10 min
    Water is the trick

XLBGE 
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Thanks guys.  I had just told my wife 15 mins ago that we couldn't have ribs tonight, because I forgot to lay them out last night.

On my way to the freezer right now.  We usually alternate Sunday nights between ribs and filets, so thanks to the knowledge here we won't have to break our routine.
    B-)
  • timekpr1
    Options
    Just remember that depending on the temperature of the water you could start the Sous Vide process.  I doubt it would make any difference though.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Just remember that depending on the temperature of the water you could start the Sous Vide process.  I doubt it would make any difference though.

The Cen-Tex Smoker doesn't see you talking about Sous Vide. Only thing worse could be if you mentioned bourbon. B-)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I don't know your longevity here but the sous-vide topic is one that generates quite bit of conversation (all good). Yes, this thread could take a hard right turn-and all in the name of....
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

The Cen-Tex Smoker doesn't see you talking about Sous Vide. Only thing worse could be if you mentioned bourbon. B-)
    I'm all good. I'm on a sous vide break (but cooking a nice piece of Halibut in mine tonight before searing on the egg) 

If you left them in too long, it would essentially hot tub them a little which is no biggie. 10 minutes isn't going to make a difference though

As for bourbon.................well I'll leave that alone too.............for now
  • timekpr1
    Options
    Just joined the group.  My wife just had to have a BGE (apparently for me to cook on).  She found a used one at a great price.  So here I am.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just joined the group.  My wife just had to have a BGE (apparently for me to cook on).  She found a used one at a great price.  So here I am.
    Welcome. She is a smart lady