Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cut is TriTip?

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    all valid points but was talking about the grain only. the grain is more like a flank than a tradtional sirloin
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    In east TN they cost almost $5 per pound. What are y'all paying?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    Options
    $3.99 lbs. in Cali.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Costco cryovac of 6-8 tri tips for $4.99/lb.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Crud.  We got fleeced.  I think we paid $7/lb at Langensteins in Metairie.
    Options
    The high price made it taste much better, I can attest.
    Options
    Bring some crawdads to Oakland for Raiders vs. saints and we will see if the cheaper tri tip tastes the same, deal?
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    all valid points but was talking about the grain only. the grain is more like a flank than a tradtional sirloin
    Yes I agree with you on that. When Tri Tip is on sale ($ 1.99 lbs or less) I buy a bunch. Cook one or two whole and make hamburger out of the rest. Way cheaper than most cuts out here. Tri Tip a few days ago $ 6.99 a pound :-q passing that up. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Bring some crawdads to Oakland for Raiders vs. saints and we will see if the cheaper tri tip tastes the same, deal?
    November 18th....wish I could make it, and if I was, I'd pack the trunk with two sacks.  Do get to see some good games locally...have a connection.  Saw the BCS Championship game at the dome, and the final 4.  I can ride my bike from my house to the game.  And I'm a Kentucky BB fan, and LSU football fan.  Great games except when LSU got the Alabama beat-down...(*sniff*)
    Options
    According to a near y butcher, the tri tip should always be closer to $2 per pound as "it's only a roast."
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    According to a near y butcher, the tri tip should always be closer to $2 per pound as "it's only a roast."

If you can find it for that, load up. It's always $6.99 here when you can get it. I guess that's why I don't see the value in it. If it were $2 per lb, I wouldn't eat much else as far as steak goes
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    November 18th....wish I could make it, and if I was, I'd pack the trunk with two sacks.  Do get to see some good games locally...have a connection.  Saw the BCS Championship game at the dome, and the final 4.  I can ride my bike from my house to the game.  And I'm a Kentucky BB fan, and LSU football fan.  Great games except when LSU got the Alabama beat-down...(*sniff*)

That could have one of the most boring football games of all time. Those 2 offenses were embarrassingly bad for a national championship game.

George
    George
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    Tri tip goes on sale like any other meat. I watch sales and buy what is cheap. I see two pros to doing it that way.

-easier on my pocketbook (egging for five now)

-forces me to add variety to our menus. It is too easy to cook tri tips all the time, since we were all raised on em, we have an affinity for them.

When it gets below $3/lb. I tend to stock up though. They freeze well if you vacuum pack em. I have 11 in my freezer right now, next to the 2 pork loins I bought for $2/lb two weeks ago.