Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What cut is TriTip?

bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
None of the local meat suppliers I have talked to know what TriTip is.  Inquiring mind wants to know.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• It's part of the Top Butt (Sirloin)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    You might try asking them to look up NAMP 185D. Here's some additional info: http://www.copfaqs.com/meatfaqs-028-tri-tip.htm
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I've only found it at higher-end groceries here in New Orleans.  And I had to ask the butcher, and he brought me a tri-tip from the "back".

What is it?  it's effin pure deliciousness is what it is.

• This is a hard cut to find if your not from the West coast.  I have the same problem here (Aberdeen SD). When I ask for it the butcher gives me the deer in the headlight look and tells me they grind it up in the burger with the rest of the less cuts of meat? WOW so sad Tri Tip is great!
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    You might try asking them to look up NAMP 185D. Here's some additional info: http://www.copfaqs.com/meatfaqs-028-tri-tip.htm
    Good call. Bottom Butt! (Sirloin). I always get those messed up (and I owned a meat shop!)

I've seen posts with what folks were told was tri-tip that was actually the cap or picanha so it seems pretty easy to get them mixed up. I find it interesting how some cuts are so popular in some regions and virtually unheard of in others.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • You might try asking them to look up NAMP 185D. Here's some additional info: http://www.copfaqs.com/meatfaqs-028-tri-tip.htm
    Good call. Bottom Butt! (Sirloin). I always get those messed up (and I owned a meat shop!)

I've seen posts with what folks were told was tri-tip that was actually the cap or picanha so it seems pretty easy to get them mixed up. I find it interesting how some cuts are so popular in some regions and virtually unheard of in others.

I knew it was sirloin but i get the top/bottom butt thing mixed up all the time. it's just one of those things. We did mostly premium primals (tenderloins, ribeye, and strips) so I didn't have as much contact with the sirloins and roasts as i would have liked.

• bvanma28
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    At least 1 good thing comes out of California. A lot of times it is cut into strips. Not as tender though.
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    It is a staple of BBQ here in Calif. and when it is sliced into 1 1/12" chuncks prior to cooking it is called Coulotte steaks
    LET'S EAT
  • At least 1 good thing comes out of California. A lot of times it is cut into strips. Not as tender though.

I assume you live somewhere really cool to throw out bombs on CA like that. I love it there and can't get out there enough. Tri Tip is my least favorite thing in CA

• bvanma28
    Born, raised and still living here. The state is beautiful but the politics bit. Oh yeah I happen to work for the state so I'm affected differently than most.
  • Born, raised and still living here. The state is beautiful but the politics bit. Oh yeah I happen to work for the state so I'm affected differently than most.

HA! I hear you on the politics. I guess just like anywhere else, it's a great place to visit. My fellow Texans love to slam Cali. Most who do have never been. The more I go, the more I love it. I get to go to all the nice spots though so I'm a bit spoiled.

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Tri Tips are. On existent here in North Carolina. I had never heard of one until I saw it I a competition o BBQ Pitt Masters
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    You know what pisses me off about ca? The public schools suck. Signed father of two children under 5.
  • nolaegghead
    If you've never had tip, you should tri tip.
    Tri Tips are. On existent here in North Carolina. I had never heard of one until I saw it I a competition o BBQ Pitt Masters

Not true. Costco sells them. You just need to get them before they turn them into steaks. I beleive if you are in Charlotte you can get them at Restuarant Depot..
  • Tri Tips are. On existent here in North Carolina. I had never heard of one until I saw it I a competition o BBQ Pitt Masters

Not true. Costco sells them. You just need to get them before they turn them into steaks. I beleive if you are in Charlotte you can get them at Restuarant Depot..
    It's true- any butcher who breaks down their own butts for sirloins will end up with Tri Tips. Bottom butts are very common so find a butcher and tell him you want tri- tips and he should be able to help you out. They may not be educated on them, but now you are. You can find them. I've had Tri tip dozens of time.....meh. It's OK. it's just sirloin to me (and yes, I've had it in CA over Red oak and every other way as well). Not saying ti's bad, just not anything special. I'll take a ribeye done the same way any day
  • Dogboa
    Dogboa Posts: 7
    Up until a month or so ago, couldn't beg, barrow or steal a tri-tip in south FL. Now they seem to be aregular item at a local market called Penn Dutch Meats.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    At least 1 good thing comes out of California. A lot of times it is cut into strips. Not as tender though.

I assume you live somewhere really cool to throw out bombs on CA like that. I love it there and can't get out there enough. Tri Tip is my least favorite thing in CA

Tex,

Quit saying nice things about California. Too damn many people here already?

:))
    George
  • At least 1 good thing comes out of California. A lot of times it is cut into strips. Not as tender though.

Tex,

Quit saying nice things about California. Too @#!*% many people here already?

:))
    I hear you. We are the same in Austin. Please keep reminding everyone that it's hotter than the sun during summer. nothing to see here.....move along.

• bvanma28
    The special thing about tips is they are cheap, great for parties, have a good flavor profile & if cooked right ate tender and juicy. A nice ribeye is by its self is better if u don't mind coming out of pocket. But there isn't a park of the cow I don't enjoy eating.
  • The special thing about tips is they are cheap, great for parties, have a good flavor profile & if cooked right ate tender and juicy. A nice ribeye is by its self is better if u don't mind coming out of pocket. But there isn't a park of the cow I don't enjoy eating.

good point on the cost difference but regular sirloin is the same price as tri tip and to me, it's the same texture/flavor.
  • nolaegghead
    The tri-tip I've had was more granulated than regular sirloin, more like a thick flank, and it had evenly spread out fat marbling.  Maybe it was just a better grade than usual.

it is more like flank.. you are right about that
  • bvanma28
    Are u guys sure ur talking about the same steak as me...a tip is nothing like a flank. Atleast not the flanks out this way.
  • nolaegghead
    In the way the meat has distinct grains, like rings in wood, which is not characteristic of your average sirloin, but very characteristic of flank (more so that any other cut I know of).  The shape, however, nothing like flank, maybe a little like hanger in that it looks like a giant triangular slug.
    Flank has much tougher fibers and isn't a roast like a tip is usually considered.
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    They are neighbors And both taste great if cooked right.  
    http://www.alcoholian.com/?p=2447   :)>-
  • bvanma28
    They r indeed neighbors and u r correct, both are tasty. They just aren't anything a like in my personal opinion. Flanks are flat unlike a tip. A trip tip would b closer to a ball tip than a flank. Again that's just my opinion. I love steak either way. As long as its rare.
  • nolaegghead
    They are neighbors And both taste great if cooked right.  
    http://www.alcoholian.com/?p=2447   :)>-
    Awesome link Richie, validates my thoughts on the grain texture....

"Anyway, the things all these cuts have in common (even the Brisket) is that the flesh has a lot of connective tissue, a pronounced “grain” that runs through the entire cut, and the meat tastes, well, beefy. The latter is why there is such an increase in popularity."