Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lost an Apple Tree in Recent Storms

Phoenix824
Phoenix824 Posts: 243
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I had about half of a dwarf apple tree blown over in recent storms.     I am thinking I can chunk it up for smoking.     Do I not use it for some reason?   Do I use it green?   Do I let it sit for a while before I use it?

Anyone have any experience?

Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE

Comments

• yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    I use apple for most of my cooks and harvest it from broken branches mostly.  You can use it dry or green, green will smoke more. 
  • I had one blow down as well and I cut it up and let it sit for about a month.  I have smoked two Boston Butts and pork ribs with it and it was great. I dont know if it matters if it sits or not?
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    You can use it either way, green will smoke more for obvious reasons. Some prefer green over seasoned.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Try it green.  If the food tastes bad, let it dry out for a while.  I heard green wood works fine, but I've only tried it with live oak (and it was fine).
    edited July 2012
    You can use it either way, green will smoke more for obvious reasons. Some prefer green over seasoned.
    I believe that some of reason folks like to use it while it's still green is because it has a higher sugar content over seasoned or dried limbs.