Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much rub?

JohnMc
JohnMc Posts: 76
edited July 2012 in Pork
I did my first pork butt last night (per my other panicky post).  I made up a rub that ended up being about 1/2-3/4 cup of stuff per a recipe I found.  I wasn't sure if I should put all of it on one 8-9 lb butt or just sprinkle around.  Not being shy, I dumped the whole thing on the butt and coated it thickly on all sides.  There's a nice bark on it this morning but I'm wondering if I overdid it or not.  Question is, when I pull the meat should I mix most of the heavy bark in or will that overpower the taste of the pork?  I've always been a brisket guy and never had these hard decisions to make!  Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Rub is for the bark, and "it depends". IT is what you like or the people you serve it to. I like a little less than  1/2 cup on a 9 pound shoulder.
    I "glue it" with a lot of yellow mustard before the rub.
    Billy
    Wilson, NC
    Large BGE - WiFi Stoker - Thermapen - 250 Cookbooks

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Hard to say how much is enough not knowing what the rub is made of. I would say taste a piece of bark when you are done and if you like the flavor mix it all in. There is a high ratio of meat to bark any way so it probably wouldn't ruin the whole batch by mixing it all in but you be the judge. I usually like to keep the bark pieces relatively small so nobody gets a huge chunk of bark but it is mixed evenly throughout. If you think about it that is the only flavor inside of the meat (unless you inject which I don't). I always like to taste some plain meat form deep inside when I am pulling. While it is moist and tender, it does not have any additional flavor to me. Mixing the bark and a sauce is how I get more flavor into the finished product. Everyone has been satisfied so far.
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    I do a tri level rub on my brisket. Lawrys seasoning salt, than a good spicy pre packaged bbq rub, than a layer of kosher salt, coarse black pepper and lemon pepper. But for my butts, i'll rub them, let them weap and soak it all in, than right before it goes on the smoker the non fat cap side gets a good hearty layer. I've never needed mustard as a binder.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I've never used the mustard either. It seems the meat is usually moist enough to bind the rub as is.
  • Mix it in. That's where a the flavor is. Hard to over do it on a butt
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • JohnMc
    I did my first pork butt last night (per my other panicky post).  I made up a rub that ended up being about 1/2-3/4 cup of stuff per a recipe I found.  I wasn't sure if I should put all of it on one 8-9 lb butt or just sprinkle around.  Not being shy, I dumped the whole thing on the butt and coated it thickly on all sides.  There's a nice bark on it this morning but I'm wondering if I overdid it or not.  Question is, when I pull the meat should I mix most of the heavy bark in or will that overpower the taste of the pork?  I've always been a brisket guy and never had these hard decisions to make!  Thanks for any help.
  • JohnMc
    Did what you suggested said and mixed it in. Turned out great. Thanks for the help. On deck...two briskets, another pork butt, two big brined hens, some ribs, bunch of jalepenos. Martini overload.
  • Just who are you people feeding??? I do 3 racks of ribs and feed the both sets of parents, one set of grandparents and my wife's brother. And us of course...
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs