Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisk-A-Potomus, Thermo Problems, Boat problems, and other ramblings...by Centex

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I threw on a 17 lb brisk-a-potomus for tomorrow's festivities. this thing was a beast! Pics to follow at some point should I get mad enough at it to go out there and lift the dome.

I noticed my maverick and my dome were 70 degrees off so I pulled out the "bet settler" (Thermapen). I took out the dome thermo, stuck the thermapen in the hole and sure enough, Maverick and thermapen were a few degrees off but both essentially right. I calibrated in water and the dome thermo was exactly off by what Thermapen said it was when inserted into the dome thermo hole. Pretty cool way to check your dome thermo and can do it on the spot at the egg instead of boiling water.

As many of you have seen on the news. we have had quite a drought down her in central TX and my entire marina has been pushed to another part of our lake for about a year. I have not even been over there to check on it because I am pouting about it. We have family in town (hence the Brisk-A-Potomus mentioned above) so I thought I'd get after it and see if I could raise it from the dead one more time. We got over there, worked for 3 hours to get it cleaned up. it's 36 feet long and was covered in spiders and duck crap and there is no running water so we had to do it with lake water and buckets- good times for all. We got it done, got both motors fired up, pulled out of the slip and realized that the steering was not working! The wind was howling and this thing weighs 20,000 lbs and here we were with no steering out of the slip. Fortunately when you have 2 motors you can steer with the transmission so I got us back into the dock safely. The cousins were pissed that they had to work for 3 hours hauling buckets of water only to be denied their day on the lake. No big deal- we were low on hydraulic fluid and it's being fixed as we speak but a little scary for all involved.

thank god for Brisket and Vodka....and probably boourbon before it's all over :) I share this boat with @lakewade (on this forum) so this is the first he is hearing about it.

Take that you watermelon throwing, rum guzzling bastid! :))

Peace and good times to all this week

Centex

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Brisk-A-Potomus! Makes me grin...
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Brisk-A-Potomus! Makes me grin...

Even though I spelled "Potamus" incorrectly (I blame the vodka) :)

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Grey Goose or Ketel One?
  • Grey Goose or Ketel One?

Tito's
  • Duganboy
    I was in Texas last year doing a charity auction for the Palo Pinto county firefighters and there was some company there with premium vodka made in TX.  What was it?  Can see their sign but can't recall the name.
  • I was in Texas last year doing a charity auction for the Palo Pinto county firefighters and there was some company there with premium vodka made in TX.  What was it?  Can see their sign but can't recall the name.

tito's
  • Duganboy
    Enchanted Rock.  Just found the picture on my phone.  Ever heard of it?

• Enchanted Rock.  Just found the picture on my phone.  Ever heard of it?

I know the owner. Good dude (wild one too)

• Duganboy
    Enchanted Rock.  Just found the picture on my phone.  Ever heard of it?

Great.  Have him send me a case :D
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    As many of you have seen on the news. we have had quite a drought down her in central TX and my entire marina has been pushed to another part of our lake for about a year. I have not even been over there to check on it because I am pouting about it. We have family in town (hence the Brisk-A-Potomus mentioned above) so I thought I'd get after it and see if I could raise it from the dead one more time. We got over there, worked for 3 hours to get it cleaned up. it's 36 feet long and was covered in spiders and duck crap and there is no running water so we had to do it with lake water and buckets- good times for all. We got it done, got both motors fired up, pulled out of the slip and realized that the steering was not working! The wind was howling and this thing weighs 20,000 lbs and here we were with no steering out of the slip. Fortunately when you have 2 motors you can steer with the transmission so I got us back into the dock safely. The cousins were pissed that they had to work for 3 hours hauling buckets of water only to be denied their day on the lake. No big deal- we were low on hydraulic fluid and it's being fixed as we speak but a little scary for all involved.

thank god for Brisket and Vodka....and probably boourbon before it's all over :) I share this boat with @lakewade (on this forum) so this is the first he is hearing about it.

Centex

Good lord Cen-Tex, I can't believe you resurrected that old money pit (boat).  Well done!  That thing is just unsinkable I guess.

Titos is flowing over here too.  I bought a watermelon too, and you know I know how to use it.

Ribs on the egg.  Carry on...

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Enchanted Rock.  Just found the picture on my phone.  Ever heard of it?

Great.  Have him send me a case :D

he will. My Bro-in-law and he are very close (which is how I know him). he is at my house eating Brisk-A-Potamus all week :). I've been on the Enchanted Rock bus a few times at various shady events. Good times were had by all. :)

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Wow sounds like a hell of a day. Hope that brisket is a good one.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    Will the end results make the national news...sounds like quite a few audibles but still in the game-not a bad way to start.  Isn't rum the deadly watermelon poison?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • As many of you have seen on the news. we have had quite a drought down her in central TX and my entire marina has been pushed to another part of our lake for about a year. I have not even been over there to check on it because I am pouting about it. We have family in town (hence the Brisk-A-Potomus mentioned above) so I thought I'd get after it and see if I could raise it from the dead one more time. We got over there, worked for 3 hours to get it cleaned up. it's 36 feet long and was covered in spiders and duck crap and there is no running water so we had to do it with lake water and buckets- good times for all. We got it done, got both motors fired up, pulled out of the slip and realized that the steering was not working! The wind was howling and this thing weighs 20,000 lbs and here we were with no steering out of the slip. Fortunately when you have 2 motors you can steer with the transmission so I got us back into the dock safely. The cousins were pissed that they had to work for 3 hours hauling buckets of water only to be denied their day on the lake. No big deal- we were low on hydraulic fluid and it's being fixed as we speak but a little scary for all involved.

Centex

Good lord Cen-Tex, I can't believe you resurrected that old money pit (boat).  Well done!  That thing is just unsinkable I guess.

Titos is flowing over here too.  I bought a watermelon too, and you know I know how to use it.

Ribs on the egg.  Carry on...

That's my boy. I assumed nothing less. Boat looked a hell of a lot better than I thought it would after a year in purgatory. Still runs like a champ. Let's double down and get a bigger one :))

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Haven't tried Enchanted Rock yet, but love Tito's. Please tell me that huge boat isn't on Belton lake.
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • divr71
    divr71 Posts: 82
    need info to buy that gasket.
  • Haven't tried Enchanted Rock yet, but love Tito's. Please tell me that huge boat isn't on Belton lake.
    Enchanted rock is awesome, just harder to find. The boat is on Lake Travis in Austin.
  • I am a goose and kettle fan myself, but I might give tito's a shot(pun intended)

Great story... Have a great weekend!
    I like them all. Tito's has won every award out there for a few years straight. It's super clean (think Stoli) where goose and kettle both have some texture (a little bite). This is all by design so it's personal Preference.
  • Golfanatic
    Golfanatic Posts: 33
    I am a goose and kettle fan myself, but I might give tito's a shot(pun intended)

Great story... Have a great weekend!
    I like them all. Tito's has won every award out there for a few years straight. It's super clean (think Stoli) where goose and kettle both have some texture (a little bite). This is all by design so it's personal Preference.

Yep and it's gluten free. My bro-in-law has celiac desease and he loves Titos!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Chopin is by far my favorite

Greensboro, NC
  • Chopin is by far my favorite

Good stuff (Potato Vodka)

• well, after fighting my fire all night for the first time in years, Brisk-A-Potamus is off hours earlier than expected. It looks awesome though. I think we have a winner here. My fire actually went OUT at 4 am. I woke up from a dead sleep (I don't use alarms because my fires never go out) and sure enough it was at 158 dome. It took 2 hours to get it going a stable and then I got some sleep. Woke up again at 9:30 and the damn thing was at 196 internal. In the cooler now waiting for a noon unveiling. Can't wait to see how this bad boy turned out. I earned it on this one.

I did use Ozark Oak in stead of Beast of The West :) and dangit if my fire didn't go out. There is no doubt the OO is better than BOTW but it let me down last night. Fire was totally stable for 6-7 hours before I went to bed so this one is perplexing to me. I put it on at 5pm so I had no doubt it was rock solid after watching it hold temp all evening.

Oh well, it all looks like it turned out in the end. juice came pouring out when I pulled the probe from th flat :)
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    "My fire actually went OUT at 4 am. I woke up from a dead sleep (I don't
    use alarms because my fires never go out) and sure enough it was at 158
    dome."

Your egg talks to you in your sleep. Where can this egg ESP be found?
  • "My fire actually went OUT at 4 am. I woke up from a dead sleep (I don't
    use alarms because my fires never go out) and sure enough it was at 158
    dome."

Your egg talks to you in your sleep. Where can this egg ESP be found?

Use the force Brownie.....

How was your cook? All go well so far?
  • Brownie
    I'm at 167* butt temp, and thinking of foil very soon. (posted a few minutes ago for suggestions) My first over night went great, with my dome temp a little under what I wanted, but was rock steady so I didn't want to touch it.
  • I'm at 167* butt temp, and thinking of foil very soon. (posted a few minutes ago for suggestions) My first over night went great, with my dome temp a little under what I wanted, but was rock steady so I didn't want to touch it.

Good call. Just let it ride if it's solid. did you do butts? no need to foil until they are ready. They may weell be in the stall at that temp anyway
  • Brownie
    edited July 2012
    So bump the temp (315) and skip the foil until it's done? btw it is a butt.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Yes

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• I'm at 167* butt temp, and thinking of foil very soon. (posted a few minutes ago for suggestions) My first over night went great, with my dome temp a little under what I wanted, but was rock steady so I didn't want to touch it.

Are you in a hurry? I didn't see your other post. You can bump it up without foil if you need to. Foil will soften your bark a little so I don't like to use it unless I have to
  • Brownie
    I'm not in a hurry, but I've tried to relax at this point in the cook and let it ride, and it always seems to take longer than I anticipate. I'm taking the butt to some one elses house and there's nothing I hate more than being late.