Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would I be crazy to attempt a pork but for the 4th

LizzieSamps
LizzieSamps Posts: 894
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just got my egg, burned burgers the 1st cook,  had a great experience with the Spatchcocked Chicken, corn, potatoes, and asparagus.  Could have pulled the chicken earlier, but did not have a temp probe in, but it was still so juicy and delicious!  Corn and potatoes came off after the chicken so the timing could be better,but would I be CRAZY NUTS to attempt to do a low and slow pork but for July 4th?  Be honest, I don't want to ruin it and the money spent on the meat, so I am also open for suggestions!  

Thanks for your responses in advance!  I have learned so much from all the veterans on here and feel like one of the family!  I just heard from my first recruit, they are getting their egg on Friday, they were lucky enough to find one on craigslist, lucky ducks!!

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2012
    Pork Butts are no problem.  Cook it between 250 and 350 (depending on how fast you need to get it done).  I usually go about 275 dome temp and it usually takes about 1.25 hours per pound.  Pork Butts are very forgiving and almost impossible to ruin.  Just take it up to an internal of 195-200 and it will pull beautifully.

If you don't have a decent instant thermometer yet, get one, it's a cooks best friend.  As long as you cook all your meat to the proper internal temp, everything will turn out great.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    One of the first things I did after getting my Egg was a pork butt. It's very hard to screw it up with the Egg as it is very forgiving. Just give yourself plenty of time, don't get concerned when it stalls at 165 for hours and be patient. Cook to temp, not time and you will be fine. Enjoy.
    bvanma28 Posts: 57
    Call me crazy but I have never used a thermometer since I started Q'n almost 20 years ago and never had a problem. Pork butts are easy and pretty cheap for the most part.
  • Gandy Dancer
    Gandy Dancer Posts: 273
    Here is a link to help you. Thirdeye's Cookin'
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Not crazy at all, it is an easy cook, and $2ish a pound, it is a good learning meat IMO.
  • LizzieSamps
    I live near a COSTCO, is that going to be ok, or should I hit a butcher with a bone in?

I have several probe thermometer, just not one of the super fancy ones that control the temp and everything.  I want to learn how to control the temp of the egg before I get an auto controller.  I got the gist from reading many many posts of newbies just buying the controllers that they were not really figuring out how to control the temp on their own.

I think it's a go,  now I just need to find a local place that sells good rubs.  Any suggestions for the Indy area out there?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I get my shoulders from Costco. They're boneless, but still delicious. Just keep in mind Costco sells 2 to a cryovac, and they vary in weight 6-10lbs. Depending on how many folks you have attending is how much you want to make; 1/2lb per person is a good amount per person.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    For a store bought rub I like Stubbs Rub. Have successfully done pulled pork using Stubbs ant it turned out great. Cooking for the Fourth you won't have time to order from Dizzy Pig or Tasty Licks.
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    You will be fine. Make sure you get the plate setter and grids in your egg before you bring it up to temp. Once you get it at your desired cooking temp, let it set for 30 minutes or so to make sure your stable. Once you put the butt in, walk away for an hour or so and resist the urge to finger the vents. Most of the time, the egg will eventually return to where you had it stable at. If not, then adjust your vents accordingly. Just give the egg a chance to recover from that cold hunk of meat you threw in there. Also, don't sweat small things like, my egg is at 270 and they said cook it at 250. If the egg is setting at 270 perfectly, there is no need to go messing with it over a small amount. Let it ride. As far as the temp probe goes, you really don't have to have one on a butt. But you do have to be patient. If you can stick a fork in it and twist meat up, it's pullable. If not, it needs more time. It's not rocket science to cooking these things. Have fun!
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    I like bone-in more, but both are good.  At the very least, trim some fat off, rub with whatever commercial rub you like, stick a digital thermometer in, and smoke at 250 (indirect with drip pan underneath) until internal reads 190-205.  Pull when cool.  My first egg cook and great success, easy.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just make my own rubs.  If you have well stocked kitchen you can get fancy - lots of recipes out there.  You can't go wrong mixing salt, pepper, garlic powder and some brown sugar.  The finishing or bbq sauce probably has a bigger impact on the final flavor than the rub, although the bark is a delicious component, and it does get mixed in when you do pulled.
    Lizzies I'm sure you have everything in your pantry that is in any rub. I smoke and dry my own peppers. But they have dried peppers in the market where I live. I never liked any chili powder from anywhere. There are a lot of rub recipes out there pick one and play with it. Once you do you can fit it to your taste. The one thing I have learned is after (when your pulling it) you pull it put more rub in it. If you cook it ahead of time I use chicken stock before reheating it. 1 Oz per pound. I do this for two things you can taste the rub before you put it on the meat and you taste the meat when its done. So you can "fix" it before anyone taste (eats) it. I just dont use anything that I dont make. Daughter cant have wheat. If you make your own sauce thats better. A plus is you can make your own rub at about 1/10th the cost. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Yum...smoked peppers.  Good advice Rich_ie.  You can adjust your rub recipe based on your personal taste.  Like heat, garlic, etc, or not, make the adjustment.  Just don't add any meat tenderizer. 
    Yum...smoked peppers.  Good advice Rich_ie.  You can adjust your rub recipe based on your personal taste.  Like heat, garlic, etc, or not, make the adjustment.  Just don't add any meat tenderizer. 
    Just don't add any meat tenderizer.   Dont need it!! 
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    You will be fine. All great advice above. Some tips i have from low and slows:
    If going very low allow 2 hours per pound, and have the foil, towel, cooler ready if its done early.
    Don't peek! If your looking......
    More sugar =more bark.
    Put a spacer between drip pan and stone to prevent nasty burnt drippings.
    If you get Costco butts, remember to tie them.
    IME, butts can go to 205 to be done.
    I use a bamboo skewer to test doneness. It should slide in and out like putting it in hot butter.
    Do NOT worry about the stall. It happens, and they are long and can happen twice. If its close to dinner time, wrap in foil to help speed it up, but it will soften bark.
    HTH, good luck
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    If you have an Ace Hardware, they often carry Byron's Butt Rub.

If you go with Costco and do two, they will take the same amount of time as one. Don't assume both will be done at the same time, and don't assume the smaller will be done before the larger, etc...

If you like a clean egg, put a drip tray on the plate setter. Nothing needs to be in the drip tray.

I cook butts with the fat cap down. It's just fat, and it protects the meat from the heat.

250-270 for the duration.

I use mustard, and then rub. Nope, it's not needed, but it works for me.

Buy a Food Saver.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    I use Costco boneless Butts and they turn out delicious.  One tip:  I bind up the pork with butchers twine, which helps when I take it off the grill; it doesn't fall apart on the grill
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Byron's butt rub if it's around. I just ordered some dizzy pig but use Byron's on all kinda stuff ESP ribs and pork

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Oh and GOOD LUCK!!! You and your butt will do fine! Keep us posted

XLBGE 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Cook that butt -- tell us how it went.  

No doubt you will do fine.

Cookin in Texas
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

First brisket I did on the Egg - posted all the way through the process.   People were offering good advice, got my questions answered as I went along.

Boston Butt is even easier - there will be people here on standby if you have any questions.  We are like the all night drive through Daqui Huts in Louisianna - We never close.....

Cookin in Texas
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    pork butts are great!! they get your egg nice and messy!!!!  275 dome, at least a hour a pound and keep it closed!!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Go for it-all good advice above.  Patience, especially in the stall/plateau. Enjoy the journey.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Do it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28
    I use Costco boneless Butts and they turn out delicious.  One tip:  I bind up the pork with butchers twine, which helps when I take it off the grill; it doesn't fall apart on the grill
    This is a good idea, I just cooked two boneless buts from costco yesterday and they were falling a part when i pulled them off.  An issue I will gladly take any day of the week...

It would also help in holding the section that was cut to remove the bone with the bulk of the butt.  I used skewers to do this vs butchers twine, was worried that the thinner flaps would cook faster and dry out it while waiting for the bulk of meat to come up to temp.
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Short answer - No
  • LizzieSamps
    What smoking wood or chips do I need? I have Jack Daniel in a black bag going to buy meat now!
  • lousubcap
    I would save the JD for beef (oak and beef-especially JD oak is great) and go with cherry or apple.  You can probably find bags of chips or chunks of each at your local grocer.  Around 110 miles south of you in L'ville, KY Kroger sells both.  I prefer chips (don't soak) and spread throughout the lump load so where there's fire there's smoke.  Pork is very forgiving-you will have a great time with this cook.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    Thanks I will pick up apple and cherry chips. Will be going on tonight around 11:30
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2012
    Just make sure your temperature is stable-especially before you load the butt.  Temp should come back to the same after the BGE recovers from opening to load the meat and the cold shot of pork.  Patience is the watchword-especially through the stall-and estimate long-you can hold the finished butt in a cooler, wrapped in HDAF and towels for 4-6 hours to hit the projected pull and eat time. And use some sort of spacers between your drip pan and the platesetter to create an air-gap.  Don't want that burnt offerings.  Crumpled up foil or the BGE feet if you have them, some use stacks of washers or pennies-you get the idea.