Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket musings

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
edited July 2012 in Beef
Newbie to brisket here with some random thoughts/questions after reading many posts.  First off, packer brisket is available at local Sam's Club so no problems on availability.  My question is since I see so many posts regarding splitting the point and flat for burnt ends after the flat is done, would there be any advantage to separating them before the cooking begins in order to allow more surface area for the smoke to penetrate both parts better?   In this instance, if it is possible to cook at a lower temperature for the initial smoking (say 200-210 degrees?) in order to extend the time for connective tissue breakdown in the flat while monitoring it with a Maverick,will the flat dry out too much?  Thanks in advance for your consideration.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The flat will stay moister of cooked with the point. Flats are much more difficult to get to behave Than a full Packer. If you must do burnt ends (I don't) do them after the flat is done.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,383
    Options

Listen to Cen-Tex-he knows his brisket.  And what I think he is saying between the lines is, when done separate the point and flat and slice and eat both.  The flat is easy to slice-across the grain.  Point-a crap shoot as the grain is a random deal-but it is great eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like burnt ends fine but I love the point right off the egg even better. You can slice it or kind of cube it up and eat it on Sammies or right off the cutting board. In my house, the kids get the flat and the people who know better eat the point :).
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Maybe I should go to a local butcher shop and just buy the point, as it is just the wife and I.  I'm sure that any excessive left overs will freeze well for Sammies a couple of days later.  Prolly try to find a smaller packer if possible. Whatever I do this afternoon, there will be brisket cooking tonight.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice. Let us know what you find.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Go for it. 
    FWIW, You can freeze brisket in food saver, or zip-lock bags, reheat in warm water, almost good as new, still great for sammies!
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

We love keeping brisket ( an pulled pork ) in the freezer.   Use for all kinds of dishs.

Cookin in Texas
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    Had to pass on brisket for tonight.  18 pounds was entirely too much for the two of us and it is 100 degrees outside. The rest were flats and I will wait until a smaller one is in the meat case, besides, wife wants to stay with something cool like a salad and it makes some sense in this weather.  Maybe next week, will keep you posted when the big event happens.  Thanks for all the suggestions.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa