Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru Dx2 -- WTF?

acr
acr Posts: 27
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping my cook will be OK after some weirdness with my brand-new Dx2.   This is my first cook with this thing and it's been, well, troublesome..

I fired up the egg at about quarter to five this morning, everything was chugging along ok.  I set up the Dx2 as per the instructions, clipped the pit probe to the grate and started it up.  I set the pit temp to 225 and the fan started cycling; before long the egg was up to temp and holding... I was impressed thus far.

put the meat on (three pork shoulders)

I checked on it regularly (old habits)...

about two hours later I went out and took a look. The display on the DX2 read "32" and was flashing. None of the buttons worked... so I did what any good tech-guy would do.  I cycled the power.  When it came back up it said "888", normal start up right? Nope, it stayed there "888" for at least a couple of minutes.  I reset the power again.

Upon this second re-start, I got 888 again but this quickly switched to 225 -- and started counting down... stopped counting at 120-some odd.  The only button that now worked was the 'up' button, pressing it yielded "2ro" on the screen.  Uh, calibration mode?  Not sure, it didn't cycle between 2ro and the current temp like it does in that mode. It just showed 2ro when the up button was pressed.

Ok, I unhooked everything, went old-school for a moment to keep the cook going.

Now that the Dx2 was disconnected, I unplugged and plugged in all the wires and reset the power again.  This time is started up normally... BUT... it was reading the temp on the pit probe (which was now out of the egg and sitting on the deck) as 50 degrees.  Now, I know this is Canada, but it's summer and it was WELL over 50 degrees outside. So... what... somehow the Dx2 managed to recalibrate itself? I dunno.

Long story short, I re calibrated the Dx2 using the method described in the manual...  It seemed to be working ok now; so I'm taking the risk and reconnected it to the egg. Set the pit temp at 230 and up the fan started... seems to be holding (though I'm unsure about the accuracy of the probes now so I'll be double-checking my meat temp with one of my other thermometers.

ANY ideas guys?   I think my pulled pork will be OK despite some temperature fluctuations and the fact that even with the fan off, the Dx2 let's the air flow through (not a lot but enough to hold 200 it seems)

Ok, I need a drink (yea, it's not even 10am)... I thought BBQ was supposed to be relaxing.

Comments

• acr
    edited July 2012
    Update:  Just did it again... 32; reset then all 888 (actually everything is lit up) and stays there...

going to detach it and hope the fire still burns ok, no reason it shouldn't but we'll see.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    I don't have one, so I'm just throwing this out there since I saw something similar on my old remote thermometer. 
    Are you sure the temp probes were really secure, and plugged in all the way "I know it's the "is the PC plugged in" question, but just gotta eliminate it.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • acr
    I don't have one, so I'm just throwing this out there since I saw something similar on my old remote thermometer. 
    Are you sure the temp probes were really secure, and plugged in all the way "I know it's the "is the PC plugged in" question, but just gotta eliminate it.

Indeed, more than once in fact.   As well as the whole unplugging/re-plugging process.

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Make sure your probes are in place and actually make a clicking noise, mine will seem to click in, but need to be pushed a little more into the unit. Also, if using the temp or pit probe, they MUST be plugged in prior to turning the unit on from my experience.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• acr
    Make sure your probes are in place and actually make a clicking noise, mine will seem to click in, but need to be pushed a little more into the unit. Also, if using the temp or pit probe, they MUST be plugged in prior to turning the unit on from my experience.
    Check and check... probes are fully engaged and were so before turning on the unit.

The unit seems to turn on and measure the temp properly (or close enough), I do not have the fan attache to the egg, but I didn't remove the probes. This is the same behaviour I observed before - the unit froze for a while then started up again after a 'rest'

Is it possible that this is over-heating?  It's pretty hot out there today; and the unit is black.

• acr
    Update:  I think this may be just a defective unit.  I set it up again (without the blower on, I didn't want to risk my cook) and it held it's settings for a while. Then suddenly, the pit temperature began to count down like someone was pressing the 'down' button, it went all the way down to 32 (list the 32 that I saw originally) but the beeper kept going like the button was still being pressed.

So I figure I either:

a) have a ghost who doesn't like computer assisted bbq or 
    b) have a ghost who prefers *really* underdone pork - which may explain why he's a ghost
    b) have a defective Dx2

I'll be emailing BBQ Guru to get their take on the issue and I'll report back how that goes.

• Most importantly, Your pork will be fine. Do it the old fashioned way and enjoy your day. I've never used one and my pulled pork is hardly ever sent back by anyone :).
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • FlyingTivo
    FlyingTivo Posts: 352
    Mine did the same, reported back to BBQGuru headquarters and got an RMA#. So before sending it i thought i might play with it to see if i could fix it. Opened it up, there is not much you can fix, so i cleaned the push buttons with isopropyl and switched them around randomly. It now works wonderful. You can also try to not tighten too much the screws on the lid, as this might help keep the buttons pressing against the board and make it enter calibration!!!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • sc0tty
    sc0tty Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    Sounds like your unit needs to be replaced.  I've only used my DX2 once, but it was an all night cook and it worked great.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

I've used mine over 25 times and have never had any of the issues you have talked about.  On Saturday, when I used it last, it was 109 degrees here in Nashville and it worked perfectly.  Sounds like a defective unit to me.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Agreed, best course is to contact BBQ Guru.
    The Naked Whiz
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470

Make sure your probes are in place and actually make a clicking noise, mine will seem to click in, but need to be pushed a little more into the unit. Also, if using the temp or pit probe, they MUST be plugged in prior to turning the unit on from my experience.Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  I have a temperature probe that I used the first time for an overnight brisket a month ago without problems and in the middle of my second time using it (cooking a turkey), it went haywire on me and then settled on HHH which is their code for too high a temperature to record.  I have been researching why this could be on the maverick redi check website, let it come to room temperature and over the past few days have been restarting it with no changes from HHH-  all signs pointed to a shorted out temp probe which I was packing up to return to Maverick till I read this- I replugged the probe with a little umph and now it seems to be working fine.  Thank you and my husband will be thanking you too when he bites into a perfect ribeye tonight!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346

Make sure your probes are in place and actually make a clicking noise, mine will seem to click in, but need to be pushed a little more into the unit. Also, if using the temp or pit probe, they MUST be plugged in prior to turning the unit on from my experience.Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  I have a temperature probe that I used the first time for an overnight brisket a month ago without problems and in the middle of my second time using it (cooking a turkey), it went haywire on me and then settled on HHH which is their code for too high a temperature to record.  I have been researching why this could be on the maverick redi check website, let it come to room temperature and over the past few days have been restarting it with no changes from HHH-  all signs pointed to a shorted out temp probe which I was packing up to return to Maverick till I read this- I replugged the probe with a little umph and now it seems to be working fine.  Thank you and my husband will be thanking you too when he bites into a perfect ribeye tonight!
    Glad I could help!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."