Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A GRILLED Pizza Experiment

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

Mickey got me thinking (which is never a good thing) with his post on consensus the other day. While the majority might sometimes agree with what they think is the 'Best" way to do something, its not always the only way. Ask how to do wings on here and on a slow day you will likely get at least 5 answers. Try ribs....or chicken. But when it comes to pizza, most people will say placesetter (legs up or down), spacers of some kind and pizza stone. Some variations on temp, but its all pretty much the same technique

A long, long time ago, in the days of BE (Before Egg), we used to [b]"GRILL"[/b] pizza. Not what we've been doing lately with the place setter and pizza stone and all. Actually taking the dough and throwing it directly on the grate over fire. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. I miss the crunchy cracker like crust and the charred flavor. I've been pondering how exactly I could go about doing that on an Egg (I used to do it on my gasser). With Mrs. G being outta town, perfect time to experiment. If I screw it up, I coud easily run down to Toxic Hell or Whataburger or something.

Started out by defrosting some sauce. I like to take leftover sauce and freeze it in ice cube trays for days when at the last minute I might decide I want pizza.

There was also some dough in the freezer, but I must not have labeled it, so I have no idea what batch this was from. After thawing and allowing it to rise, I rolled it out (yes, I used a rolling pin....shock....gasp!) to get it as thin as I possible could. Paper thin. I then tossed it  [b]DIRECTLY[/b] on the grate with the dome temp reading 400F. See how thin it was? It even started ripping in some places.

After about 3 minutes I checked it and pulled it off. Seems like I forgot a step I used to do....brush on a thin layer of canola oil or hit it with Pam so it would toast up nicely and get a brown color. Oh well....good enough.

This time, don't forget to spray the uncooked side with some Pam or brush with canola oil. Next step is to put your toppings onto the side that you just grilled. Since this is such a thin pizza and its grilled [b]DIRECTLY[/b], its going to cook fast. So you want to keep your toppings to a minimum. It helps to have your sauce at least warm to hot already and you might want to nuke your pepperoni for 30 sec to a minute to pre cook it a bit. One more thing....cheese. Do NOT use store bought shredded mozz. They coat that stuff with corn starch or potato starch or something to keep it from clumping in the bag. That coating also prevents it from melting as easily. Buy a block of mozzarella, any kind will do, and spend the 30 seconds it takes to grate it yourself. Just something I've learned over the years.

Lightly sauced

Lightly topped (those who know me will be shocked with the olives....can't really explain that one. Sounded good)

Now take it back out to the Egg and toss it back on. Check after a few minutes. You might need to spin your grate to achieve uniform doneness (is that a word?) I think it took about 3 to 4 more minutes. Somehow I forgot to get a picture of this step. But here it is done.

Almost paper thin

Nice char on the bottom

Totally different then the pizzas most people are baking on their Eggs right now, not that there is anything wrong with that. This is just an alternative way to do it. I'm gonna work on it a bit more, experiment with some different doughs and temps and time and get it down, but for a first attempt, I gotta say it wasn't half bad. Actually, it was pretty darn good. Sometimes I want that paper thin, cracker crunchy crust on my pizza.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Looks fantastic, Griffin!   :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • NattChukk
    NattChukk Posts: 15
    I have been craving, as you call it, "Cracker Crust" Pizza lately! Thanks for this!!! I'm gonna go cook one right now!!!
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

Is the cracker crust achieved by not using a stone, or the fact that you cooked one side first, then topped the cooked side and the cook the other side and toppings?  That way both sides of the crust are exposed to the high temps, instead of just one when you could a traditional pizza.

Could the same thing be achieved if you pre cook your dough on a stone?

• Dogboa
    Dogboa Posts: 7
    Wow! I haven't seen "cracker" thin crust like that since I was in Antibes! Great job! I take it that this style pizza has now moved from experiment to arsenal.
  • Griffin

My guess would be that it was a combination of rolling it super thin and cooking both sides. This is how I used to do it before I got an Egg and last night was my first attempt at doing it since then on the Egg, so I really can't say how it would turn out if you pre cooked it on the stone. If you used a stone, you wouldn't get that char from the flames licking the bottom of it, though.

I think part of the whole idea of this cook (besides wanting a pizza the way I used to do them) was to break out of the conventional way of thinking, ignore the consensus and just try something new. Going for broke and seeing what happens. I think it came out good, but I want to play around with the method a bit more. Try different temps and doughs to see how it can be improved.

Rowlett, Texas

• Griffin
    Wow! I haven't seen "cracker" thin crust like that since I was in Antibes! Great job! I take it that this style pizza has now moved from experiment to arsenal.

Thanks. No, its still in the experimental stages. This was Test #1. But it will go in the arsenal as a variation when I get it down just right.

That's what cooking should be....Playing With Food. At least to me it is.

Rowlett, Texas

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    I am doing some pizza this weekend.  I will try the super thing crust on the stone, with precooking one side.
  • Griffin
    Awesome. Love to hear how it turns out.

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Well done Griff!!!!  \:D/

I love super thin, crispy crust like that. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Looks great. I need to do just that this long holiday weekend. I love an extra thin crust. I can sometimes get fresh buffalo mozzarella at a local market. I think it has a much more distinct flavor, but I don't mind settling for fresh cow's milk mozzarella. Fortunately, my garden is just starting to produce ripe tomatoes and a variety of peppers. I sometimes just slice fresh tomatoes on a pizza rather than making tomato sauce. I just bought a pricey Emile Henry pizza stone, primarily for BGE projects, but it may gather some dust. The rustic char broiled flavor is calming me.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Brought back some memories, Griffin, thanks!  I too did a few grilled pizzas on my old Weber gasser.
    Instead of Pam, I crushed italian herbs and a clove or two of garlic in a mortar & pestle, with olive oil, and let it marinate a few hours before starting; I only brushed the second (ingredient) side, although I did oil the grill grate.  
    My favorite ingredients were very thinly sliced 'maters, arugula, jack and  parmesan cheese (I didn't care for mozz on grilled pizzas), pickled onion, but the best ingredient for grilled pizza is thinly sliced artichoke hearts; good stuff!  

I haven't yet tried a grilled pizza on my Egg, got something to do tomorrow!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure