Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthy cooking

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options

Not to debate; but...

Atkins does not suggest a lifetime of no carbs. There is a beginning period of approximately two weeks when you start that no carbs are allowed. This is simply to start your body into ketosis and kick start the diet. Once you are losing; it goes into the next phase which begins the re-introduction of some carbs, mostly high fiber carbs. Once you arrive at the target weight; you then go into maintenance mode, where you will have figured your daily allowance of carbs that you can have without re-gaining weight. The average amount of carbs varies by person, but according to Atkins book seems to be around 35g a day... but it is all up to the individual.

Of course, no refined sugars, enriched flours... at any time.

I would suggest reading the Atkins book from front to back before starting any type of carb restriction dieting.

I also suggest reading this book... http://garytaubes.com/works/books/why-we-get-fat/ very informative on the subject as well...

atkins needed to name his diet better, south beach sounds better but its just the atkins diet without as many meat,fat, veggie, and fruit choices. and it drops weight quickly, muscle stays intact, cholesterol levels drop.......  if he could have found a way to keep beer on the diet plan i could have kept the weight off
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited June 2012
    Options

As mentioned above the Atkins diet is not a NO carbs diet.  The first two weeks you are limited to 20g of net carbs/day.  Net carbs being actual grams of carbs minus grams of fiber.  As you stay on the diet after the first two weeks you start to increase your carb intake, and introduce higher carb veggies and lower carb fruits, nuts, then legumes, then grains.  This process continues to the maintenance phase where the carb intake is 75+ g of net carbs/day.  Your diet consitst mostly of meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains, like all the other diets with different names and different perceptions.

George
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks again for the useful tips. All good to keep in mind. As I has mentioned, I have made a few changes after the first 2 weeks of low carb kick start and have managed to start cutting out a lot of those tempting bad things, which we sometimes don't even consider to be bad.. 
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options

Wholeheartedly agree with the Gary Taubes book recommendation.  My wife and I read the book about a year ago and it completely changed the way we eat and feel. My wife who has been a long distance runner for almost 20 years was a huge proponent of the whole carb, healthy grains, etc. way of thinking.  And while I was in pretty decent shape my last physical exam revealed borderline high cholesterol.  Now a year later I have lost about 25 lbs and my wife about 15.  Eliminated the sugar and processed flour almost completely and definitely limit the amount of carbs.  We both feel great. 

I realize that doesn't really give you any recipe ideas but you might want to take a look at this site:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1z6kqvDMZ

Plenty of recipe ideas there that I have adapted to the egg.  Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding.

i did the same thing! :) love this way of eating
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Options
    If you're going low-carb, it's not good to go too low on the fats.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/519284-what-is-protein-poisoning/ 

I would experiment with something like smoked or cedar planked salmon. 
    I'd also work a few avocados into the diet.

• mindfulwanderer
    Options

A comment from one who has struggled with weight loss for more than 40 years. Congrats on supporting your betrothed. The low carb approach is good for short term weight loss providing your Doctor says OK. Long term using the egg makes a lot of sense. In recipes look for fat substitues the diabetes association has several suggestions in their cookbooks. Portion control, reducing/changing snacking and exercising regularly does work. The best part is you both get to eat most if not all of your favorite foods. Good luck and best wishes on your journey.

• JerkChicken
    JerkChicken Posts: 551
    Options
    Low-calories, Jalapeño, Sausage, Jack, and Egg Breakfast Braid

Start with a can of refrigerated pizza dough to make this savory breakfast bread that's filled with chicken sausage, eggs, and cheese. Balance your meal by serving the bread with a fresh fruit salad.

You're joking right? :-bd
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • chill243
    chill243 Posts: 131
    edited August 2012
    Options
    allitnils said:
    Doc, I must say, I respect your cooking and concur that lean cuts of meat are better for you.

I don't think you were expelling (I'm assuming they meant to say evicting, not edicting..?) anyone for cooking as they please, although longevity in the forum and cooking in a grill doesn't equate nutritional competency.

Thankfully a bulletin board (or whatever they're called these days) is a place where people can express their ideas and ways of life, which I, for one, appreciate in Doc's perspective due to his healthy eating habits (mostly, those chicken legs would be better skin off.. ;) ) coinciding with mine..

Find someone you have something in common with and talk to them and don't feel threatened by thinking that someone is telling you what to do.. :)

What the hell does that mean???????????
  • Neptunes
    Neptunes Posts: 17
    Options
    You can crack a Miller Llite. pretty much drank all I wanted and it never effected my ketosis when I did Atkins
    It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Funny- my wife and I are also doing the SB thing for a while.  I did this recipe a couple of nights ago and I thought it was really good:

It was dead simple too.  I actually just ate it cold out of the fridge for lunch.  I haven't used fish sauce before (read about it hear many times)...and I gotta say the flavor was really good.  I grilled the flank steak on the egg and we just boiled the beans.  I thought about trying to grill the beans if I do it again. 

Another tip is to try lettuce wraps.  You can use romaine or boston lettuce leaves.  I like this because it gives you the feeling that you are eating a sandwich.   I use this simple recipe for a cilantro mayo:

Usually I use this with some deli turkey and peppers and I really enjoy it.  I'm thinking of trying this with some grilled fish and perhaps adding some chipotle .  

If you can find hanger steak in your area I did this recipe last weekend and it was outstanding.  Just looking at the ingredients should be totally SBD friendly (if you trim the hanger steak well).

Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.