Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Healthy cooking

killborn
killborn Posts: 37
edited June 2012 in Weight Loss Forum
So I made the mistake of agreeing to join my fiance in a diet plan in preparation for the wedding to make it easier for her I agreed to join. Since I work from home, I do most of the cooking. I love to cook, but cooking "healthy" not as much.  I like using spices/sauces etc. I have been exploring some of the recipes here and could really do with some more help. So far I have been making most of the dinners on my egg. 
Since getting the egg, I have found that I can't do without either a raised grid or some sort of method to raise. The diet is mainly a no carb and lean meats for the next couple weeks (South beach diet). It has been fairly easy so far, except for the fact that I can't crack open a beer when I cook out. 

Any good recommendations on meals on the grill. I have been making a lot of grilled vegetables in the basket on the grill direct and have stuck to some stuffed chicken breasts and grilled shrimp, which both came out really well. 

I grew up doing chicken spatched, so might to that, but anybody ever tried doing it skin off? I can't believe I just said that.. My father would take away my grilling privilidges if he ever knew I was trying to grill a chicken with no skin on. 

Any more recommendations, especially on the vegetables/sides would be great. No carb/sugars, so no corn or other sweet vegetables. 3 weeks to go...

Comments

• Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    I really like grilled eggplant. A good veg only meal is to grill some eggplant, onions, roast some red peppers, and then toast some ciabatta. Put it all together with some tomato sauce and melt sone mozzarella over it and it makes a great sandwich.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    I FEEL YA . . . do you have a wok? My fiance is pushing me for same diet thing, our wedding is in November. 

I have been doing lots of BGE stir fry with chicken breast, shrimp or tofu with tons of different veggie/sauce combinations. Never short on flavor, quick and endless combinations to try on top of brown rice or stand alone with no carbs. Other than that we have done bison burgers (she skips bun and eats with avocado slices) and turkey burgers, salmon and spicy shrimp kabobs. Grilled asparagus, zucchini and grilled pineapple great easy sides. It is what it is . . .

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • killborn
    Thanks for the comments guys. I have been doing a lot of veggies on the grill. Mostly squash, peppers, onions and asparagus. All good, but I really need to vary it a bit. I do have a wok from a different cooker, which I would like to try out. 
    Will certainly try the eggplant. Used to eat a lot of it in Afghanistan, but there it is cooked all mushy with lotsa horrible orange oil..

What kind of sauces do you use? I am on a no sauce, no sugar added spice couple weeks. Ordered some of the Big Al's rub, which I am waiting for and have been making up some online sugar free bbq sauces myself. I have a sirloin in marinade now and will get it done for dinner on Sunday.

Hoping this damn diet works, or I am going to be p..... off for even trying it. I have found lots of interesting advice on here and also ordered a book someone had recommended about "good carbs and bad carbs". 

Tonight I did some veggie kebabs and cedar plank salmon, which was awesome! I took the recent recipe someone had on here and just skipped the brown sugar in the rub.. Really came out terrific.

Just looked at a post where someone put a Papa Murphy's stuffed pizza on the grill... need to stop looking at stuff like that till this is done..
  • killborn
    Thanks for the comments guys. I have been doing a lot of veggies on the grill. Mostly squash, peppers, onions and asparagus. All good, but I really need to vary it a bit. I do have a wok from a different cooker, which I would like to try out. 
    Will certainly try the eggplant. Used to eat a lot of it in Afghanistan, but there it is cooked all mushy with lotsa horrible orange oil..

What kind of sauces do you use? I am on a no sauce, no sugar added spice couple weeks. Ordered some of the Big Al's rub, which I am waiting for and have been making up some online sugar free bbq sauces myself. I have a sirloin in marinade now and will get it done for dinner on Sunday.

Hoping this damn diet works, or I am going to be p..... off for even trying it. I have found lots of interesting advice on here and also ordered a book someone had recommended about "good carbs and bad carbs". 

Tonight I did some veggie kebabs and cedar plank salmon, which was awesome! I took the recent recipe someone had on here and just skipped the brown sugar in the rub.. Really came out terrific.

Just looked at a post where someone put a Papa Murphy's stuffed pizza on the grill... need to stop looking at stuff like that till this is done..
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    Tri-tip (a cut from the bottom sirloin) is very high in protein, and low in fat. Search for Santa Maria Tri-tip for a great recipe. The trick is cutting it thin and against the grain (which changes, across the length of the meat). For extra measure, I use a Jaccard on it, before marinating.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Using Indian masalas on meats that are "Good for us" can really make them more pallatable. Tandoori, fish masala, madras are all good.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    On a side note, SBD is solid. I went from 265 to 220 in a healthy way within 3 months. Then said F**K it, and here I am back a year later at 265, however, it is not hard after phase 1 and really is intelligent eating. You will learn, then you will say F**K it, I have an egg, and im cooking ribs...etc... lol. Enjoy.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• killborn
    Thanks for the tips. Been pretty decent so far. The first couple weeks of SB sucks, but have been egging a lot and just making low fat meats, which have been fine. Looking forward to the occasional rib or brisket for sure, no way I am giving that up..
    Did get the wok this weekend and excited to use that as something different though I have to stay away from rice/noodles for now.

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    You CAN spatchcock a chicken WITH skin to keep moist, THEN remove b4 eating. SErve w/lots of veggies or on/with a salad.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • allitnils
    allitnils Posts: 109
    Hi,
    I won't comment on the low-carb diet (which I completely disagree with - the key to a healthy lifestyle is a well balanced diet).. But if you ARE trying to stick to low carbs, then keep in mind that the vegetables you've mentioned are high in carbs (i.e., squash, beans, &c.).
    Similarly, while brown rice is better than white in terms of it being less processed and higher in fibre, it also contains high contents of carbohydrates.

Instead, if you do have a starchy itch (even though this is technically a grain), look up quinoa.. Its high fibre content negates most of the carbs in it, and being a grain it's mostly unprocessed.

Keep in mind though that carbohydrates is what gives your body most of its energy, so you really shouldn't go completely without.
    Just, as I said, moderate amounts in a well-balanced diet combined with moderate exercise will see you through.

And yes. Chicken with skin off is a must. 
    I can't remember the last time I've eaten the skin from a chicken. If you really want to  cut out bad things from a diet, get rid of all saturated fats. :)

To answer your question, it is well known that the mediterranean diet is the healthiest in the world: lots of raw vegetables, lean meats, seafood, extra virgin olive oil..
    Tofu might be perceived as a healthy replacement but it really isn't. It might be a good alternative for vegetarians, but I prefer to have a lean steak, cooked medium rare, with a bit of salt and pepper, than a block of tofu. I don't know about you. :P
  • killborn
    Thanks for the info, very useful. After going through the first phase of this diet, it was actually not too bad. Lost a few pounds and have changed the diet slightly. I guess the secret to it really is not a totally low or no carb diet, but rather to try and avoid the bad carbs. Still a lot to learn and change, but I agree with having lean meats rather than tofu. Not a tofu fan...at all. 
    As for chicken skin... sigh.. it is going to be tough. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I was not going to comment, but now feel compelled.  We got the Eggs in December.  My wife has lost 45 pounds, and I have lost 15.  In December my glucose was 125, 1 point short of diabetic.  In April it was 91, right in the middle of the normal zone.  What did we do?  No bread, limited brown rice, no potatoes, pasta, sugar, sweet goodies, and all the rest of normal diet no no's.  The key is what we did do.  Small portions of lean meat and large portions of vegetables.  The  BGE tie in is that without the delicious, fresh cooked veggies we would have burned out and failed.  We cook on a LBGE and an XL every night.

It does not have to be complicated.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• killborn
    Thank you Doc, I have been cooking very similar foods. Hard to make an effort to cut out the rice/potatoes/pasta, but am getting there. Have looked at a number of your posts and has helped somewhat. 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Thank you Doc, I have been cooking very similar foods. Hard to make an effort to cut out the rice/potatoes/pasta, but am getting there. Have looked at a number of your posts and has helped somewhat. 
    Confession, I am piggy backing on the wife's diet plan, but it works regardless of your chromosomes.  I am so-so on it, but she is religious about it.  Worked really well for my youngest daughter.

Here it is:

http://www.pinkmethod.com/

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• STANGOJE
    STANGOJE Posts: 44
    I have to say that I lost 25 lbs in three months. Most of what I do is small amounts of meat every meal and lots of grilled veggies and fruits and only whole grains - max carbs per meal 35. I did not give up eating fatty meats, if I cook ribs I only eat two instead of a half rack, if I make pulled pork I measure out 3oz portions and use vinager sauce instead of a sugar base sauce. It is about moderation and I still getting to eat what I enjoy eating!
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    @doc, I was waiting for you to chime in.
    I need to start cooking more like you do.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Ha, I figured I was getting to be a bore, so I was letting others comment.  I could not resist.

• Howdy_Doody
    Howdy_Doody Posts: 168
    Will we be allowed to cook beef from now on?
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited June 2012
    There are lean cuts, and yes we do that.  We don't do hamburgers.  We don't do ham, bacon, and sausage has turkey attached to it.

I believe the key is portion size and ratio to veggies.  My completely unscientific opinion on the glucose level is cutting out bread.

Our standard meats are turkey, chicken, pork, and occasionally beef.

For full disclosure, my pics for the last couple of weeks have lots of falling-off-the-wagon items.  We have a private reason to be off the diet, but it is only temporary.  Small meat, large veggie is the key.

• Howdy_Doody
    OK, but if I stray, I won't post on the forum.
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited June 2012
    I will add that the portions you see in my cooks are the night's meal, and tomorrow's lunch, so there is always twice as much as we eat that evening.

• Howdy_Doody
    edited June 2012
    There are lean cuts, and yes we do that.  We don't do hamburgers.  We don't do ham, bacon, and sausage has turkey attached to it.

I believe the key is portion size and ratio to veggies.  My completely unscientific opinion on the glucose level is cutting out bread.

For full disclosure, my pics for the last couple of weeks have lots of falling-off-the-wagon items.  We have a private reason to be off the diet, but it is only temporary.  Small meat, large veggie is the key.
    So, as a newbie Egg owner (December?), you are now edicting to those of us that have been egging and posting here for years what we can cook and post on this forum?
    Dripping Springs, Texas
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited June 2012

So, as a new Egg owner (December?), you are now edicting to those of us that have been egging and posting here for years what we can cook and post on this forum?
    No, but if you don't like my input feel free to ignore me.  I don't think I dictated anything to anyone, only offered my opinion.  Please show me where I said anything about what another person can post.  Personally you can piss off.  Considering you claim to have been posting for years, but only show 72 posts, I wonder what your former name was? 

PS, yes only since last December, and that represents for me several hundred cooks.   You know it is kind of sad and sick that you get pleasure out of stirring up trouble on internet forums.

• allitnils
    Doc, I must say, I respect your cooking and concur that lean cuts of meat are better for you.

I don't think you were expelling (I'm assuming they meant to say evicting, not edicting..?) anyone for cooking as they please, although longevity in the forum and cooking in a grill doesn't equate nutritional competency.

Thankfully a bulletin board (or whatever they're called these days) is a place where people can express their ideas and ways of life, which I, for one, appreciate in Doc's perspective due to his healthy eating habits (mostly, those chicken legs would be better skin off.. ;) ) coinciding with mine..

Find someone you have something in common with and talk to them and don't feel threatened by thinking that someone is telling you what to do.. :)
  • Doc_Eggerton
    (mostly, those chicken legs would be better skin off.. ;) )
    :-) We strip the skin off before eating.  The Egg is wonderful for all chicken.

• Doc_Eggerton
    I answered what I thought was an innocent question, but I benefited by learning who to ignore.

• gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited June 2012
    I personally have been on a low carb diet for the last 3 weeks. Lots of grilled meats, low sugar veggies etc. it works great and is very easy for meat lovers. I have lost about 18 lbs feel great with lots of energy and am never hungry. My father in his later years was diabetic, his doctors gave him a "diabetic" diet to follow. It was basically the low carb diet which gets bad mouthed on a regular basis. Whenever you say low carb or Atkins diet people imagine that you sit around all day eating bacon. Since starting this thing my veggie and salad intake has gone way up. Yes I getalll the meat I like, but you find that you don't end up eating that much, since not eating high sugar foods seems to level off the food cravings.

Doc glad it is working for you, keep it up.

George

George
  • allitnils
    I think the difference that needs to be pointed out is between low carb and no carb diets. Atkins suggests no carbs, whereas other diets suggest that "carbs are bad".

The statement "Low-carb diet" is too vague to say that it's healthy.

In any case, diabetes aside (if you have diabetes, I'm sure your doctor will subscribe you to a regulated diet), the fact of the matter is that complex carbohydrates are a necessary part of a healthy diet.
    They provide energy for the entire body. And for those looking to
    lose weight, restricting (not cutting out!) the amount of carbs in a diet forces the body
    to use the energy they give you to break down fat for energy instead of carbs. This in turn can lead to
    greater weight loss and reduce appetite.
    Not eating enough can lead to headaches, irritation and serious health
    problems down the line as the body is forced to convert too much fat
    into energy and blood sugar levels drop.

Protein allows people to build strong muscles and bones and is key for
    growth and immunity. Eating a diet high in protein contains fewer
    calories and provides a greater feeling of fulfillment, both of which
    may contribute to faster, healthier weight loss..
    The fact is that both protein and carbohydrates are necessary for a
    healthy diet. We cannot live on protein alone, and carbohydrates by
    themselves are not what cause people to gain weight. The key is to keep
    protein options lean and carbohydrate servings moderate, supplementing
    your diet with plenty of raw vegetables, and unprocessed foods.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    I am with Doc. Dieting is not an on and off thing. It is a lifestyle of healthy eating. Over five years I gained 20 pounds. I cook on the egg every evening. I read the sugar buster book and found my own healthy diet regimen I am down 19 pounds since January. All I really limited was sugar(sweets) and white bread.
  • gtcharlie
    gtcharlie Posts: 65

Wholeheartedly agree with the Gary Taubes book recommendation.  My wife and I read the book about a year ago and it completely changed the way we eat and feel. My wife who has been a long distance runner for almost 20 years was a huge proponent of the whole carb, healthy grains, etc. way of thinking.  And while I was in pretty decent shape my last physical exam revealed borderline high cholesterol.  Now a year later I have lost about 25 lbs and my wife about 15.  Eliminated the sugar and processed flour almost completely and definitely limit the amount of carbs.  We both feel great. 

I realize that doesn't really give you any recipe ideas but you might want to take a look at this site:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/#axzz1z6kqvDMZ

Plenty of recipe ideas there that I have adapted to the egg.  Good luck and congrats on your upcoming wedding.