Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Better than my grid extender

Brownie
Brownie Posts: 1,023
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
I saw something like this on this forum in pics and decided to build my own. I built it using 316 stainless steel rod. Tig welded the hoop ends together, as well as the legs to the hoop, and then spot passivated the welds. I ended up making the legs 4 inches to get me up to my gasket, or almost down (1/2 inch shy) to the top of my fire box. So far so good, I have used to do spare ribs and chicken and broccoli stir fry. Here are some pics.
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Niiiiiiiiice setup!!!  Looks like we've got some "eggo-vators" here!! 

Good to see some intelligent, do-it-yourself, think-outside-the-box kinda guys, rather than copy-cats...  should be interesting to see what all other kinds of unique & innovative "Egg-cessories" folks come up with!!
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Funny, I almost made something similiar without the weld from a beer can chicken form from cost plus. I was sawzawing off some parts and screwed up on the 4th leg piece. Anyway I set up 3 pieces in between the fire ring and fire box that can hold up a flat part that can hold a pizza stone for a deflector.

Nice work though, the craftsmanship will make your piece last as mine is a work around that collpases if anything goes wrong. BTW ill take a piece like that for my mini for sure.
    Seattle, WA
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Great craftsmanship.  I don't have those tools or skills.  Personally I just put my wok on the grid and pull it to the side and don't have to deal with the preimiter heat and my extender is the BGE 2" fire ring I place on top of the existing and leave it in place about 90% of the time.  Great pictures too.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Home made spider, nice work!
  • newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Very nice.
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Why isn't it green? 
    You do know I am hysterical at the fact that the man who fabricated this extra deep spider (nice work BTW), is the same person who made G.F.s shirt green with construction paper, and safety scissors! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Why isn't it green? 
    You do know I am hysterical at the fact that the man who fabricated this extra deep spider (nice work BTW), is the same person who made G.F.s shirt green with construction paper, and safety scissors! 

hahahahaha! He is better with a welder than with scissors, that's for sure. Only one of those makes me laugh every time I see it though (hint: not the spider)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tdeater
    tdeater Posts: 38
  • Brownie
    Why isn't it green? 

=)) I wanted to wrap it in paper, but deep down I knew the paper would burn.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    What did you use to spot passivate the welds? I am making a few things for my egg out of 304 SS and don't have a source for passivating.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • Brownie
    I used citric acid. It was left over from a recent job at work that our sub contracted passivator left for us to complete our project. Sorry, but I'm not aware of where they acquire it from. In all honesty, its not entirely necessary, you can remove as much of the carbon (at welds with a stainless steel wire brush) as possible and then give it a good seasoning as you would for cast iron. It will probably only look like stainless steel the first few times you use it anyway and then if any rust should ever appear, just clean it and re season it.
  • hoffmand
    hoffmand Posts: 105
    Thanks.  One of the things I'm making is my version of the hi-que grate but with more bars for smaller gaps.  I was planning on cleaning the welds with a 3M deburring/magic wheel then bar keepers friend (oxacylic acid).   If that doesn't work I'll look for citric acid.
    Cedar Park, TX
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

How did you form the circle so nicely???

Great work by the way

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Niiiiiiiiice setup!!!  Looks like we've got some "eggo-vators" here!! 

Good to see some intelligent, do-it-yourself, think-outside-the-box kinda guys, rather than copy-cats...  should be interesting to see what all other kinds of unique & innovative "Egg-cessories" folks come up with!!
    Looks just like the spider from the Ceramic Grill Store.
  • Brownie
    @hoffmand Sounds like a plan. Good luck, and please share your final product.

@ccpoulin1 I used a slip roller with a groove sized for the round stock I used.

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Nice job!  You definitely have the skills! 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"