Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bbq sauce

ricktanner
ricktanner Posts: 24
edited May 2012 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
years ago a older man made some bbq sauce using beer,it was the best i have had in my life all i can remember about it was great taste and real thin could someone tell me some receipies on that kind of bbq sauce?

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Just go ahead and add some beer to any sauce ... it's a great thinner for any!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • ricktanner
    thanks! not sure about the mustard ill try it!
  • I have a good one on here somewhere. I'll dig it up. Had some today.....it was delightful.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Lemme look.
  • This is pretty conversational from another thread but you get the idea. The trick is Dizzy dust and dark beer
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I never measure so I may not be much help but here's a good tomato based sauce:

For a large crowd I do the following:

1) I- 40 oz squeeze bottle of Heinz Ketchup (I use the bottle to store the sauce when done)
    2) 1/2-3/4 cup of cheap yellow mustard (don't get fancy here). Start with 1/2 cup and and squeeze more in to taste.
    3) A generous amount of whatever rub you use for your butts (Dizzy Dust makes awesome sauce- it's all I use anymore). I sprinkle it on until it covers the top then mix in. Remember, you can always add more so start with a little and build it up to your taste. 
    4) 1/4 cup of Worcestershire
    5) Then I always add a full 12 oz coffee porter or coffee stout beer. You can use any good beer but I find dark beers impart great flavor in BBQ sauce. If you like it really sweet, you can do one of 2 things: Use the beer and add sugar (there is a ton of sugar in ketchup and even more in dizzy dust so taste to see if it's enough for you). Or, you can swap the beer for Dr. Pepper or Sprite. This is too sweet for me, but I like a real zippy sauce. It won't be syrupy sweet even with the soda so try a little (split it in half and do one with beer and one with soda and see which one you like. 

When you are done, you can pour it back into the ketchup bottle to hold in the fridge. it won't all fit, but after you serve lunch, there will be a lot less of this sauce to put back in the bottle. It keeps for months. I actually keep a 64oz bottle around to store mine in so I can hold it all. 

My buddy is the brewer at our local brewpub and the sauce in the attached pic is made with his coffee stout (we all call him snowman- hence the name on the sauce). Good beer makes good sauce!

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Sweet Baby Rays and beer. Sounds interesting, think I'll give it a try.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • ricktanner
    THANKS CENTEX SMOKER I WILL TRY IT THIS WEEKEND!
  • THANKS CENTEX SMOKER I WILL TRY IT THIS WEEKEND!
    It's tasty. Coffee porter or stout works best for me. You can even add a little (liquid, not grounds) coffee with your favorite beer for the same result

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

Would instant coffee grounds work in a rub or sauce?

Also, I would not add Guinness Extra Stout to BBQ sauce.  Tried it and do not think it tastes good...

• Sauce- no. Rub- yes. I love super fine grounds on my steaks and Briskets but in a sauce, they are gritty. So use liquid coffee in sauce and super fine grounds in rubs. Does not taste like coffee. Tastes smoky and rich.
  • Williams Brothers BBQ sauce sold in the Atlanta Ga. area.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Page bookmarked. Thanks for the ideas!
  • Don't know if you can get it out of Louisiana but if you see it get it, JACK MILLERS, dump it in a pot pour some beer and italian dressing in it then put it on the stove until it starts to bubble or boil then stir it up and take it off the stove. I use it for basting burgers and pork mostly, its not sweet so you may want to add honey or something for a sweet hint however everyone asks me how to make it that has ate food I've used it on and I tell them and they think I'm lieing but thats all there is to it very simple.