Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to decide on first Egg size

calracefan
calracefan Posts: 606
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Wanting to buy an Egg and am having trouble deciding between a Large and an XL. I have lived by the saying "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have " so I am leaning towards the XL ! Opinions would be appreciated, any Pros and Cons on the sizes from your experience also appreciated.
Ova B.
Fulton MO

Comments

• Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I will save you from reading the rest of the responses:  the advice will be overwhelmingly (I think) to get the XL.
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    XL and dont look back
    LET'S EAT
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I picked up my first XL on March 6th and my second one on June 14th.  There are only two of us but since I bought the first one, we have had neighbors and friends over at least twice per week.  The extra real estate of the XL makes everything easier.  Go big - you won't regret it.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bam7722
    bam7722 Posts: 5
    I dont understand why anyone needs 2xls unless you are feeding the marines. I cooked 18 racks of ribs my first smoke with plenty of room lol. But I went with the xl with the hopes of having enough room to feed a family..... When the wife finally gets preggo ha
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Get the XL. I debated over large and XL and am so glad I went XL. Already want another.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • dlk7
    I dont understand why anyone needs 2xls unless you are feeding the marines. I cooked 18 racks of ribs my first smoke with plenty of room lol. But I went with the xl with the hopes of having enough room to feed a family..... When the wife finally gets preggo ha
    I cook every day and if I'm doing a low and slow I can do another meal during the 20 plus hours of slow.  Also, with two, I can cut down the total cook time - some foods at 350 others at 475 at the same time.  I don't get home until 6 each night and I want to do the prep, cook, eat, and cleanup, all before 8 PM

Waunakee, WI

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    Large five years plus... It is big enough to do most anything, especially low and slows, however when grilling one does have to get creative especially cooking for four or more and multiple items. This week we added an XL mainly for those grilling nights when it's more than the boss and I. The XL is HUGE compared to the large. If there is a question in our mind go XL. You can always get a diveder for those smaller cooks if you want to save lump,etc. The onl drawback with XL is you don't have anything new to shoot for :)
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    I went with the XL and I'm glad I did. 
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    You don't need a divider. Shut down when you're done. The lump will be saved. Compared to a normal 22.5 Weber, you use a lot less. You can do a lot on a large. Even more on an XL. :)
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • HavasuTom
    HavasuTom Posts: 13
    XL and never looked back. While is usually just the wife and I, there are times when we have the three grandkids, friends etc and the extra grilling space is much needed and welcome. 

Lake Havasu, Arizona 

Size does matter - XL BGE

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    I will save you from reading the rest of the responses:  the advice will be overwhelmingly (I think) to get the XL.
    This is correct.  I am sorry to say that I am weary of answering this question.  If for no other reasons, you have plenty of cook space, and you can load half lump set ups so you can do direct and indirect.

If money is no object, trust me, I bought a Large and a month later bought an XL (intending to sell the Large).  I have the both still, and cook on both almost every day.  Doing a pizza on the XL right now.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Get the biggest one you can afford. I went with the "no regrets model" aka, the XL
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Get the biggest one you can afford. I went with the "no regrets model" aka, the XL

+1
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Go XL unless you can talk your way into a large and a small to go with it.  Sometimes it would be nice to have 2 eggs when you want to cook two different heat ranges at the same time.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    go XL for sure..... can't make a large any bigger.  Just brought my XL home today....Best father's day present ever!!!!!!  Just make sure you have a large wagon or a pick up for all of thestuff.  I hope you get a good deal!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I don't even think I will answer the question this time.    Read above
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I have had a large and have had no complaints until tonight. Neighbors Came over and w 6 ears of corn (husk on) my grate was full, I had no room to grill the squash and zucchini. Had to fire up the gasser to complete all the veggies and then the steaks went on the Egg. There is a small Egg in my near future.
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    You will not be sorry getting the xlarge. No regrets whatsoever here
    XL BGE
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

I would go for a large, that's all you need for cooking the main course.  And with the money you saved,  buy another large for cooking all the sides ( Veggies, ABT's, Corn Bread, Potatoes etc. )

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Get a large and a small or 2 larges. More important than having alot of space at 1 temp is having multiple temps to work with. 2 larges is ideal because all the toys are interchangeable. I feed 10 plus people every Tuesday night on my small and mini with no problems but i would love to have the space of my larges to work with (they are out back and the kegerator and ping pong table are out front with the small and mini). I say hit up an eggfest and get 2 large demo eggs.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    XL nuff said...
    Lynnwood WA
  • jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    Get a large and a small or 2 larges. More important than having alot of space at 1 temp is having multiple temps to work with. 2 larges is ideal because all the toys are interchangeable. I feed 10 plus people every Tuesday night on my small and mini with no problems but i would love to have the space of my larges to work with (they are out back and the kegerator and ping pong table are out front with the small and mini). I say hit up an eggfest and get 2 large demo eggs.
    +1
    The main problem with the xl is that you are cooking so much closer to the lump, I find I do a lot of my cooks at a raised grill, in a large the distance between lump and grill will make a difference as to how it cooks. Also you will use more lump every time you light it!
    Whichever egg you decide to get you will not REGRET it.
  • started with an xl, added a mini and then a large...don't worry your gonna be fine no matter what you do...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

+1
    The main problem with the xl is that you are cooking so much closer to the lump, I find I do a lot of my cooks at a raised grill, in a large the distance between lump and grill will make a difference as to how it cooks. Also you will use more lump every time you light it!
    Whichever egg you decide to get you will not REGRET it.
    Why?  There are any number of ways to raise the grid, from cheap to not so cheap.  My first way was to put bricks on the grid, and then put a slightly small Webber grid on top of those.  I finally got a Woo which raises the grid nicely, and takes a wok.  You can even use the bricks and Webber grid on top of that for a way high raised surface.  You can also do reduced lump loads in the XL for direct and indirect.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I have a large, and while the XL might provide more room, it's all at the same temp. I am seriously considering a small for simultaneous cooks at different temps. I got a pswoo2 and the extender for my large, which adds another cooking level when needed.

I have a Weber kettle that I also use when I need the extra grilling room while the egg is tied up with a low and slow cook.

Good luck with your choice!
  • dlk7
    +1 The main problem with the xl is that you are cooking so much closer to the lump, I find I do a lot of my cooks at a raised grill, in a large the distance between lump and grill will make a difference as to how it cooks. Also you will use more lump every time you light it! Whichever egg you decide to get you will not REGRET it.
    I don't normally use a raised grid on my XL for things like chicken.  I just put in less lump that increases the distance between the lump and the normal grill height - turns out to be the same as a raised grid.  I can cook for several hours at 300 to 400 with only a couple of inches of lump in the bottom of the XL.

Waunakee, WI

• jay75
    jay75 Posts: 153
    @Doc E, I agree you can do a raised grid in many different ways, however the distance between the lump and the grid will differ between the lrg and the xl because of the dimensional difference of the two base's. No matter how high in the dome you go in an xl, it will never be as far from the lump as in a lrg due to this dimension, this does reflect in how the food is cooked.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    edited June 2012
    I have all but the xl. I plan on selling the large and small to buy an xl. That thing is a beast.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I have a large and love it. That being said, I'm saving up for a mini or a small. Usually its just the two of us and we don't need the extra space. And I think it would also be nice to be able to have two eggs going at different temps for different types of food.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Large and small combo
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC