Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to decide on first Egg size

2»

Comments

• MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    I have been cooking on a large for a few years. Never really had a need for anything bigger and I have cooked for a LOT of people at once. HOWEVER, I did buy a large over the weekend, for myself finally, and saw the XL for the first time in person. WOW...what a beast. 

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    i've only had my large for just about a month and love it . The wife brought up having another one and gave me her blessing to get the XL in september at the egg fest might cost me down the line in something for the house but it's worth what ever she may want . so large or xl does it matter when in the end you'll want two 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Rblument
    Rblument Posts: 27
    XL no brainer. Tortured myself needlessly for a half hour in the store before deciding on XL and have never looked back. Luv to entertain and had 11 people over for father's day and the XL was required. Pork butt ribs and chicken all needed to cook and without XL it never wudda happened. Buy the XL! U will absolutely luv it.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I had ordered and prepaid for a large at the upcoming Porkopolis Eggfest in July.  I contacted my BGE dealer who's sponsoring the event and that I had ordered the large through and upgraded it to the XL.
    Can't wait to pick it up and use it. 
    I'm sure there will be a table built and a medium or large added as well.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Don't worry, it doesn't matter which size you chose....you will enjoy it...started with an xl added a mini and a large  now i need a med or small for an RV..welcome to the cult!

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Well took the plunge , let the dealer talk me into a Large. Got it home tonite going to try it out tomorrow ! Thanks for all your insight, it seems there was really no right or wrong answer. Have to wait and see if the decision was the correct one!
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Large and small combo. Why? Because I now have true 2-zone cooking, and one very portable egg.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • rsmith193
    rsmith193 Posts: 219
    We own a small, 2 large, and an extra large. Go XL or go home! I love the others but the xl is used the most for family cooking. We use the others mostly for competition.
  • Loving my XL! :-)
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I have a large and have 5 in the family....I have done several large cooks and it suits me fine....XL would be great if I did big cooks all the time but unless you do and depending on how many you cook fer, judge it that way....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • cajunrph
    cajunrph Posts: 162
    Over whelming everyone will say go with the XL, if money is no option. I went with the large, so far so good. But I'm sure in the future I would wish I'd had gone with the XL. Till then I'll have a ball Egging on my Large. 
    LBGE, Weber Grills, Silverback Pellet grill, PBC. No I don't have a grill issue. 

LBC, Texas 

• texbagger
    texbagger Posts: 90
    No doubt, the XL is a heavy beast.  However, do yourself a favor next time you are in the BGE store.  Grab the grill from a large and set it inside the XL.  THAT made a believer out of me and I went with the XL. The difference is just huge man! Go with the XL and then if you want another smaller one, get it later.
  • TexAg87
    TexAg87 Posts: 22
    edited June 2012
    I got XL first, but am plotting scheming wanting to add a Lg to the family. The Lg would be useful chiefly for multiple temperatures, but also for more than one pizza at a time.
  • GmaEgger
    GmaEgger Posts: 13
    I spent a ridiculous amount of time worrying about which to buy...lg vs xl.  Bought the xl and am so glad I did.  Only regret is ever worrying about it to begin with.  My husband and I have found that it is great for just the two of us, or with all the kids and grandkids over.  Would never consider a large now.
  • majorpain
    majorpain Posts: 7
    I was in your situation about a year ago.  Everyone I talked with said get the XL.  Everyone said if you entertain at all or have a family then you will need the most cooking space you can.  It's a chuck of change to swallow for the XL but I am happy I chose it over the large.  My father in-law just got the large and it suits him fine but they only cook for about 4 people max.  I plan on smoking 3 pork shoulders for July 4th and also doing a large dutch oven of beans.  I dont think this can be done with large.  I say go big or go home.  I want another XL so I can have two going at different temps I just dont know how to tell the wife yet.  I may have an Eggdiciton.
  • After reading all of this I picked up an XL about a week ago. No regrets on the decision at all.